Options

stopped by police and fined for using a moblie phone

DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My husband was stopped by police and told by the officer that a different officer had seen him on a mobile phone. Thing is my husband wasnt on the phone nor had he been. His phone was sat in the front of the centre console of the car and was being used as a satnav.

Can the mobile network give customers a breakdown of incoming and outgoing calls and texts?

If it goes to court how do the police prove people are using a phone.

Any advice?

Comments

• Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    * deleted *
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    Tell your husband not to do it again.

Thanks but he didnt do it in the first place, you know I knew someone would respond like this :(
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Did your husband have it in his hand at any time while driving, as you dont have to be using it has a phone to have committed the offence
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, it was in the centre console. I wasnt there but my husband never uses his phone while driving other than as a satnav.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DinkyDoo wrote: »
    No, it was in the centre console. I wasnt there but my husband never uses his phone while driving other than as a satnav.
    But if he had the phone in his hand at all even using it as a satnav he has committed the offence of using a moble while driving it does not matter what he was doing with the phone, could he have been planning a route on it while driving, or stopped at traffic lights or in a traffic jam
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    * deleted *

Not quick enough......

IMO, phones need to stay out of sight now, not worth the risk..just buy a dedicated sat nav, cheap enough....

It is what it is
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not quick enough......

IMO, phones need to stay out of sight now, not worth the risk..just buy a dedicated sat nav, cheap enough....

It is what it is

This is basically it. It's just not worth the risk.

Buying a cheap satnav is the way forward
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My husband was stopped by police and told by the officer that a different officer had seen him on a mobile phone. Thing is my husband wasnt on the phone nor had he been. His phone was sat in the front of the centre console of the car and was being used as a satnav.

Can the mobile network give customers a breakdown of incoming and outgoing calls and texts?

They can itemise your phone bills so I'm pretty certain that won't be a problem.
    The doubt will be how vague is the timescale the police claim they saw him v the timescale between calls on the phone.
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    They can itemise your phone bills so I'm pretty certain that won't be a problem.
    The doubt will be how vague is the timescale the police claim they saw him v the timescale between calls on the phone.

And they could say he was dialing or writing a text etc, And you can't prove the time he dialled or wrote not sent a text
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you have to prove you're innocent now, is that right?

The police can just make a claim and that's it, no evidence? And parliament created that power did they?

Unless the police do need some evidence of course. I would ask about that first rather than finding proof of innocence.
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    So you have to prove you're innocent now, is that right?

The police can just make a claim and that's it, no evidence? And parliament created that power did they?

Unless the police do need some evidence of course. I would ask about that first rather than finding proof of innocence.

I imagine that if the OP's husband denies it, the police would be able to use the phone records in order to try to prove guilt though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im just worried if the records say the phone wasnt being used they will just say they saw it anyway.

Thanks for replying, I guess hes just gotta wait for the paperwork to arrive and take it from there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Im just worried if the records say the phone wasnt being used they will just say they saw it anyway.

Thanks for replying, I guess hes just gotta wait for the paperwork to arrive and take it from there.

The problem is in law is that the phone does not have to have been used to make or recieve a call at the time of offence, if you are doing anything thing with the phone ie checking the time, putting in satnav instuctions or anything like that then the offence has been committed, yes you can defend and decide to go to court instead but if found guilty the fine goes up from £60 too £100. Alot of people get caught at traffic lights or in traffic jams, because they beieve at the time they are not driving. Best advice for any driver leave your phone in your pocket or handbag till you are out of the car. Or you are parked up with your engine turned off.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    And they could say he was dialing or writing a text etc, And you can't prove the time he dialled or wrote not sent a text
    Don't the police use telephone records to prove that a call/text was made at the time of an "incident"?
    The driver should be able to use the same in defence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Don't the police use telephone records to prove that a call/text was made at the time of an "incident"?
    The driver should be able to use the same in defence.

No because using your phone for anything ie checking the time you are still committing a offence.
  • Options
    Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use my phone as a satnav, have done for well over a year, it's secured on my dash, I input before I set off, if I have to make changes, I pull over, I wouldn't even fiddle with it at lights etc, isn't worth it, hope it gets sorted.
  • Options
    MigsterMigster Posts: 4,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    ...yes you can defend and decide to go to court instead but if found guilty the fine goes up from £60 too £100.

Pretty sure the current rate at the FPN stage is a £100 fine and 3 points (fine was increased a year ago).

OP - If your husband was definitely not using the phone (which includes just touching it) then he should consider going to court and pleading not guilty. There's a chance the police may decide not to proceed if he opts for this course of action or even if they do, that they will fail to convince the magistrate. Lose in court though and the max fine is (I think) £1,000, though in reality it would likely be much less.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    No because using your phone for anything ie checking the time you are still committing a offence.
    I mean that, if the driver claims the phone is locked in a cradle for satnav usage, the records will show if the phone was in use at the time for messaging purposes.
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I mean that, if the driver claims the phone is locked in a cradle for satnav usage, the records will show if the phone was in use at the time for messaging purposes.

Not really... I could type a message on my phone now, put my phone down and then come back in 3 hours and send the message. The records would show what time I sent the message but not what time I typed it.

Or I could type a text message then decide against sending it and so just delete it, then it wouldn't show up on the records at all.

In both cases if the typing happened while driving it would be an offence but the phone records wouldn't show it.
  • Options
    USIMUSIM Posts: 586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If it goes to court how do the police prove people are using a phone.

Any advice?

You might find it useful to check on the bizarrely named http://www.pepipoo.com/. Which is a forum for people accused of motoring offences.
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been convicted after 'my word against another'. You are not innocent till proven guilty. 50/50 does not mean reasonable doubt.

A policeman actually lied in my case. Although the legal term would have been 'mistaken'.

All experienced police officers with X years of sterling service are regarded as infallible Gods by the courts.
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    PrincessTT wrote: »
    Not really... I could type a message on my phone now, put my phone down and then come back in 3 hours and send the message. The records would show what time I sent the message but not what time I typed it.

Or I could type a text message then decide against sending it and so just delete it, then it wouldn't show up on the records at all.

In both cases if the typing happened while driving it would be an offence but the phone records wouldn't show it.

This is what i was getting at....The phone company can't say when he was writing a message or when he read one or opened an app etc.

And as other have said, Even if he did something like pick the phone up and put it in the holder while driving, That is all it takes
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its worrying isn't it.

i keep my phone in a cradle and use it regularly as a sat nav. I also have a blue tooth device where you van answer the phone without touching it. If a policeman walked or drove past and saw my mobile illuminated, they could easily stick me about on even i hadn't touched it. It does seem like its guilty until proven innocent.

this bit of legislation does appear to be flawed and I'm sure that they use their radios while driving.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    ... this bit of legislation does appear to be flawed and I'm sure that they use their radios while driving.

Mobile Phones and Driving
    The Definition of a Hand-Held Mobile Phone

The Regulation includes any "device, other than a two-way radio, which performs an interactive communication function by transmitting and receiving data".

It states that a "mobile telephone or other device is to be treated as hand-held if it is, or must be, held at some point during the course of making or receiving a call or performing any other interactive communication function". "interactive communication function" includes:

sending or receiving oral or written messages;
    sending or receiving facsimile documents;
    sending or receiving still or moving images; and
    providing access to the internet

There are two exemptions:

2- way "press to talk" radios, such as used by the emergency services and taxi drivers

Using a hand-held phone for a genuine emergency call to 999 or 112 if it would be unsafe for the driver to stop.

The Definition of Driving

Under existing law a person may be regarded as "driving" a vehicle while the engine is running and the vehicle is stationary. The offence applies to all motor vehicles, including motorcycles, but not apply to pedal cycles.
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Its worrying isn't it.

i keep my phone in a cradle and use it regularly as a sat nav. I also have a blue tooth device where you van answer the phone without touching it. If a policeman walked or drove past and saw my mobile illuminated, they could easily stick me about on even i hadn't touched it. It does seem like its guilty until proven innocent.

this bit of legislation does appear to be flawed and I'm sure that they use their radios while driving.

And yet, amazingly, every time I am out in the car I see numerous drivers quite openly and brazenly driving with one hand on the wheel and the other holding a phone to their ear.