Options

What's the roughest part of the USA you've ever been to?.

Comments

• Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Woooooo...yeeeeeeeahhhhh.....awwwwwwsome....it was so like.............. oh honey......hey guuuuuys........... can I gedda?...................... go go USA.

Been, hated it.

:cry::cry::cry: you say such cruel things.
  • Options
    ian_charlesian_charles Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :cry::cry::cry: you say such cruel things.

See your therapist......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    See your therapist......

I already booked, you cruel cruel man.
  • Options
    lubaluba Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sunset Strip, Hollywood in 1976.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I already booked, you cruel cruel man.

Ohh ged owda here....
  • Options
    BadLadAshBadLadAsh Posts: 28,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always been fascinated with slab city ever since I heard about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Semillion wrote: »
    Were their eyes really close together and did they have webbed fingers...? :D

Those types really do exist over there...

....and not a tooth between em :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See your therapist......

10 quid says you won't reach 500 posts.
  • Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was at a Greyhound station in Little Rock for a rest stop and one of my fellow passengers was stabbed.
  • Options
    RedOrDead36RedOrDead36 Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Baltimore. Corrupt people in charge, full of gangs like The Barksdale Crew and ruthless killers such as Marlo Stanfield.
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in a bar once in Chester W.V., next to the Ohio river, which is the border between West Virginia and Ohio.
    It had a printed laminated sign on the mirror behind the bar, which said,
    DRESS CODE,
    4 TEETH MINIMUM.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BadLadAsh wrote: »
    ....and not a tooth between em :D

I thought that was a British stereotype. We're the fat ones who need mobility scooters when we do have to go to the therapist. Or maybe the obesity thing works both ways too?
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Reminds me...

Was on a flight from UK to Houston.
    Got into the queue for immigration and all the yanks were let through with no delays.
    Got to me and they asked me to take my boots off, clean them with a toothbrush, wipe them all over with baby-wipes (which did wonders for the suede), spray them inside with summat and dip them in some chemical.

All, apparently, because they're worried that I might be bringing something from Britain which'd contaminate the delicate American soil.

Of course, none of the yanks who'd filtered through before me without delay (who'd all been returning from the UK and trodden the same evil soil) are going to carry contaminants on their shoes, right?
    Maybe the sheer awesomeness of being American burns away harmful bacteria or something?

Tossers. >:(
    You don't half spout off some utter tripe and clap trap.

My cousin lives in Texas and commutes between there and the UK often up to three times a month.

Funny that he's never taken to one side and told to 'clean his boots with a toothbrush and wipe them all over with baby-wipes'.......and he's British.
  • Options
    roger_50roger_50 Posts: 6,932
    Forum Member
    America has an almighty number of serious issues - you barely have to scratch the surface when you're there and you'll see it. Quite shocking the state the country is in actually.

But...it's an amazing country in many other ways. Which is partly why it's so fascinating I think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that was a British stereotype. We're the fat ones who need mobility scooters when we do have to go to the therapist. Or maybe the obesity thing works both ways too?

Eh? :confused:
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vosne wrote: »
    Wut? I saw an angry Alsatian go for an old bird's fanny in the parking lot in down town Miami once. Luckily a passer by intervened and pulled him off.

Was she a crack ****?.Maybe he was a Police dog just doing his job.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    There is, and it hasn't been ignored. From John Steinbeck, and Arthur Miller to Boyz N the Hood, The Wire and more recently, Treme.

Louis Theroux and Michael Moore have been pretty prolific as well!

Wow, that takes me back!

Rich Hall always does a good job of scratching beneath the surface of the USA too.Love his documentaries.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mexie wrote: »
    Schwenksville, Pennsylvania. Not a terribly rough place overall, but I had a couple of dodgy encounters.

A guy at the bus station asked me if wanted to 'go over there in those bushes and fool around'.

A family in a pick-up truck with young kids in the back waving shotguns at us and shouting 'you f***ing suck, y'all should go back where you came from'.

He He!.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Washington DC. I was lost and trying to find my hotel when I found myself amongst the locals in their neighbourhood. Dragging my suitcase with me and after many perplexed looks from the locals, a man asked me about my shoes and told me he liked them. I noteably increased my pace to the nearest busy street hoping that he wasn't following me and attemting to mug me for them.

The rest of DC was nice but the locals are a bit shady.

I think the guys from Top Gear felt a bit uneasy when they filmed there.They couldn't wait to leave.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    drove thru compton once,with all the "dudes" hanging about on street corners it was well dodgy

i tried not to go below 20mph!

That's where Venus and Serena Williams grew up.Not born there mind.Their eldest sister was murdered there to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    I am fascinated by urban decay and abandonment and nowhere does it like the US.

Roughest part I've ever been to was the South Bronx in about 87. We'd done Harlem, and I really wanted to wander up Grand Concourse. My pussycat mates wouldn't so we took a cab instead. Stood on Central Park West for ages - none would take us, until a black guy said "sure". He lived there and was pleased to show us. We agreed a price, and he switched the meter off.

It was like nothing I'd ever seen - in those days it had barely recovered from it's nadir in the 70s. Vast expanses of burned out lots. He didn't show us the worst parts - "that would just be irresponsible" he said. Even so, he jumped a lot of red lights when the corner gangs took interest in the rare sight of a yellow cab in the district. It's pretty much developed these days, but back then it looked like it would never, ever recover. Harlem is becoming as chi chi as the rest of Manhattan now. Lord knows where the locals have been shipped to.

I've read everything on Detroit there is to read - a fascinating situation, but terrible for those trapped in it. The nearest thing to post industrial apocalypse on the planet. Makes northern England look like a rose garden.

I would love to see Baltimore. It's pretty much as dangerous as Detroit, but very different in structure. The endless streets of "row houses" (terraces) are very reminiscent of British Victorian streets, and from what I can glean, they've not improved much since The Wire was filmed there. And, of course, Nina Simone famously sang about it.

I think the most danger I've ever actually been in is in a tiny twee little town in New Hampshire called Sunapee. It was 1AM in the diner/bar and a bunch of redneck guys working on a nearby road had taken an interest in 4 very English lads travelling together. They were friendly with menace and trying to suss us out. When my mate, having smoked his last, asked "can you get **** in here?", he was met with a look I shall never forget. I thought we were all dead!

Great post trevgo.Interesting and funny.:D
    I can just see Lt Kojak driving by pulling over some Pimp in his Pimpmobile(with furry dash).

Lots of interesting experiences and views on this.
  • Options
    Omniconsumer93Omniconsumer93 Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Went to visit relatives in Canada a few years ago, they took us to Michigan (where they do all their shopping because it's cheaper), and we went through Detroit. It was NOT nice at all. Shame because the rest of the state is beautiful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watching hardcore pawn (no not that sort! ;) ) you only have to watch that to see how rough Detroit is!
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am fascinated by urban decay and abandonment and nowhere does it like the US.
    Likewise.....even modern abandonment is fascinating too, particularly showing the greed and excess. Just Google 'Abandoned Dictators Palaces' for that.

Meantime, have a browse of these stunning photographs from places around the world.

I think the most danger I've ever actually been in is in a tiny twee little town in New Hampshire called Sunapee. It was 1AM in the diner/bar and a bunch of redneck guys working on a nearby road had taken an interest in 4 very English lads travelling together. They were friendly with menace and trying to suss us out. When my mate, having smoked his last, asked "can you get **** in here?", he was met with a look I shall never forget. I thought we were all dead!
    PMSL at that!! :D:D

Reminded me of a time back in the 60's when me and a mate hitchhiked round Europe and eventually ended up in Holland, spent up and flat broke bust! But we met up with four American lads all with plenty of money to chuck around who were really great with us when they found we were broke after three weeks on the road!

Bought us food and drinks then insisted we go with them to view a certain statue which is of much amusement to Americans.

It portrays the fictional character of the little Dutch lad who spotted a dike leaking water so he puts his finger in and saves his country from being flooded. Dike easily 'translates' into American slang as 'Dyke' (lesbian).

This is the statue complete with companion posing! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chocdoc wrote: »
    10 quid says you won't reach 500 posts.

Of course I will...... :cool: