Options

Daily rants

Comments

• Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    purplecatz wrote: »
    Back from my day out - it didn't go well, me and my friend spent 2 hours going round Euston train station, trying to sort out how to pay for the bus as you can't use cash on them, you have to have an Oyster card or a travel card, which is totally stupid, we went from info kiosk to info kiosk, up and down lifts, machines that wouldn't accept bank cards.

Evidently, you have to have one of the contact less cards with the little wi-fi symbol on but we didn't know that.

Why didn't you just go an ATM in or outside Euston and withdraw some cash with your bank card and then use that to buy a one day travelcard or Oyster from a LU ticket machine or kiosk (travelcard from the ticket machine, Oyster from a kiosk)? :confused:

London public transport has to be one of the easiest transport systems in the UK to use with the options available, i.e. travelcards, Oyster, routes, service frequency, information availability etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    Why didn't you just go an ATM in or outside Euston and withdraw some cash with your bank card and then use that to buy a one day travelcard or Oyster from a LU ticket machine or kiosk (travelcard from the ticket machine, Oyster from a kiosk)? :confused:

London public transport has to be one of the easiest transport systems in the UK to use with the options available, i.e. travelcards, Oyster, routes, service frequency, information availability etc.

It's not that easy if you are in a wheelchair and people in different kiosks keep telling you to go down to the underground, I can't use escalators, last time I was in London, I just went to the bus stop and there was a little machine to get tickets from. Because I'm in a wheelchair I dont use public transport a lot, and I didn't know the system in London had changed. I will know next time to get a train ticket with a travel card.
  • Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    Or swapping food for things you like to eat. Fruit is by and large for health freaks, if you don't like eating it particularly.

I've never eaten anything just because it is healthy. I eat food I like. If it also is healthy/good for you, that's an added bonus.

I'm not here for the long time, I'm here for the good time (finances permitting).

I'm also an existential nihilist.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nihilism#Existential_nihilism
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Existential_nihilism

In jra summation.

When you die you die. You can't take anything with you, as you're cremated or worm food.

Only leave money or other items of monetary value to people or organisations you really care about. Everybody else can go and **** themselves.

There is no such thing as an afterlife/re-incarnation or going to heaven. Deal with it.

So, do what you want to do (after all you had no choice in being born, somebody else made that decision), shag a few people, get pissed, dabble in drugs, look at things you like (whether it be other people, sea, hills, whatever) for your limited time on planet Earth.

Amen to that!

Forcing yourself to eat something you don't like is doomed to fail
    Back from my day out - it didn't go well, me and my friend spent 2 hours going round Euston train station, trying to sort out how to pay for the bus as you can't use cash on them, you have to have an Oyster card or a travel card, which is totally stupid, we went from info kiosk to info kiosk, up and down lifts, machines that wouldn't accept bank cards.

Evidently, you have to have one of the contact less cards with the little wi-fi symbol on but we didn't know that.

Then I was in a lot of pain with my knee, it hurts to have it bent for a long while so we ended up sitting in a coffee bar in Euston station while I rested my leg on a chair. My sister and family were waiting for us in Covent garden but I was in so much pain that I rang them and told them to come to us, as I was in too much pain to go anywhere. We had tried to get a taxi, but they saw the wheelchair and drove straight past us.

My sisters were not happy - we ended up walking to Regents park and sitting outside of a cafe, we then exchanged our prezzies (from last Christmas) but they had got nothing for my OH, he couldn't come as he'd not been able to use his crutches (he had his leg amputated in March) and he struggles with the manual wheelchair and he's a big lad so too heavy to push. My sisters don't like him, so had got him nothing, whearas I'd gone out of my way to find an unusual t shirt for my bro-in-law.

It really hurt me, I'd pushed myself through the pain barrier to see them and not one of them, bar my Dad asked how he (my OH) was. It wouldn't have hurt either of them to either phone him on their mobiles just to say, hi how are you, or even send a simple text message saying that.

We just walked back to Euston, had dinner in cafe Rouge, and then we got the train back, I didn't want to make a fuss, in front of my friend who went down on the train with me, but my sister (the Australian one) was crying and saying she'd miss me - yeh I'm so important that I get ONE day out of the 3 weeks she was back in UK.

I feel like just ditching her off Facebook, cos as far as I'm concerned she either accepts both of us, or she can p**s off, it wouldn't hurt her to be nice for 1 day.

I just can't stop crying, don't know what to do, OH says he's not bothered but I think the pair of them are selfish bitches

God that's awful! I'm so sorry your sisters are treating your OH like that :(
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Then I was in a lot of pain with my knee, it hurts to have it bent for a long while so we ended up sitting in a coffee bar in Euston station while I rested my leg on a chair. My sister and family were waiting for us in Covent garden but I was in so much pain that I rang them and told them to come to us, as I was in too much pain to go anywhere. We had tried to get a taxi, but they saw the wheelchair and drove straight past us.

My sisters were not happy - we ended up walking to Regents park and sitting outside of a cafe, we then exchanged our prezzies (from last Christmas) but they had got nothing for my OH, he couldn't come as he'd not been able to use his crutches (he had his leg amputated in March) and he struggles with the manual wheelchair and he's a big lad so too heavy to push. My sisters don't like him, so had got him nothing, whearas I'd gone out of my way to find an unusual t shirt for my bro-in-law.

It really hurt me, I'd pushed myself through the pain barrier to see them and not one of them, bar my Dad asked how he (my OH) was. It wouldn't have hurt either of them to either phone him on their mobiles just to say, hi how are you, or even send a simple text message saying that.

We just walked back to Euston, had dinner in cafe Rouge, and then we got the train back, I didn't want to make a fuss, in front of my friend who went down on the train with me, but my sister (the Australian one) was crying and saying she'd miss me - yeh I'm so important that I get ONE day out of the 3 weeks she was back in UK.

I feel like just ditching her off Facebook, cos as far as I'm concerned she either accepts both of us, or she can p**s off, it wouldn't hurt her to be nice for 1 day.

I just can't stop crying, don't know what to do, OH says he's not bothered but I think the pair of them are selfish bitches

Oh that sounds awful, I thought you hadnt posted because you had a great day and were now resting...

Why dont they like your OH?
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    It's not that easy if you are in a wheelchair and people in different kiosks keep telling you to go down to the underground, I can't use escalators, last time I was in London, I just went to the bus stop and there was a little machine to get tickets from. Because I'm in a wheelchair I dont use public transport a lot, and I didn't know the system in London had changed. I will know next time to get a train ticket with a travel card.

Yes, travelcards are great value for money and you have a choice of zone areas where you get unlimited travel on the tube, buses, national rail, DLR and Tramlink in said zones.

If you live within the former NSE (Network Southeast) area, you can buy travelcards from your departure station, outside of zones 1-6.

Most London buses and tube trains have on board visual and verbal announcements, so you know exactly where you are going.

Most buses also have inbuilt extendible ramps and low floor access for disabled users.

Disabled access for tube users is being extended, including raised platform access (platform humps) in order to make it easier for disabled users.

These things take time. However, any new station will come with disabled access, in accordance with Disability Discrimination Act, including toilet facilities (where applicable) and access to platforms and trains.

Personally, I find disable access facilities useful myself, even though I am not personally disabled, as I don't get on well with stairs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Hi all. Purplecatz I am really sorry your day out didn't go as well as you had hoped. Sadly not everyone has a loving happy family like you see on the tv. I gave up on mine. Long story but decided as jra said that life is too short for shit. Hope you and your other half have a lovely day together today. x
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    Tt88 wrote: »
    I dont see the point of ebony doing ketone or 5:2

I can why you would if you wanted to look good in a bikini for your holiday, wedding, christening etc but these diets dont work long term.

Ebony doesnt leave the house so theres no reason to lose weight quickly? The trouble is as soonas you go back to 2000 cal a dayyou will put on any weight you lost because your body will have become used to eating less. So while you can lose a few pounds to look good for your wedding, the weight will be back on within weeks.

So as a long term plan youre better off losing weight steadily and excersising.

Unless your ebony of course, she has magical powers we can only dream of that turn crips into calorie burning particles.

This made me laugh out loud. Some people do long term on 5:2, to be honest its just calorie reduction as far as Im concerned, if you do it properly you also have calorie restrictions on the non fast days, eating 500 cals twice a week is just misery as far as Im concerned.

Clean eating is better than eating smaller quantities of crap than you used to a couple of times a week.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    I like ebony. She interesting, and a bit of a character.

But, she seems like a glutton for punishment I most aspects of her life. Wether it's the pain she claims to be under, but won't do anything about. Or the fact she keeps coming back here night after night, even thought she's under quite a spotlight.

If someone did something about the pain they were in they would have one less thing to moan about and one less thing they could get attention for.

Its simple really, the more the OP sorts out certain aspects of her life, the less she has to start threads on here and on other forums. Its not new, its been going on for years now and it will continue to go on.

Negative attention is attention.
  • Options
    sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    weight loss slowed, got too hard having to lower my cals too much now giving 5:2 a try

lost 25lbs in total, 29.1 inches

So, you only lost 5.5 lbs in the couple of months since you started the diet threads? (given the fact that you said you'd already lost 19.4 pounds since Jan and your inch loss is taken from Jan so presumably total weight loss is too!)

Given that most diets should give a 1-2lb weight loss per week, it's not great - shows that calories in/calories out is not as 'simple' as you think! I reckon you are estimating your daily needs too high given your lack of activity.

What you were eating on your 'diet' was high in 'bad' calories and you would have had more success replacing those calories with better ones which may have filled you up more - crisps and choc etc. don't do that!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aw, purplecatz, I'm so sorry that you had such a bad time yesterday, especially when you were looking forward to it so much! :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The one good thing - we had a photo of all of us together, Dad, three sisters and BIL, I am now thinner than my sisters, I was always the biggest one,but I lost weight after being very ill. I just wish my sisters would stop being stupid, ok they don't like him, but it wouldn't have hurt to a) get a joke present, (a named mug or keyring or similar). She bought novelty bottle openers in Euston for her sons, something like that would have been ok, and b) just said hi to him on phone, that's all I wasn't asking her to discuss politics or even football)

Just goes to show you can choose your friends not your family>:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, travelcards are great value for money and you have a choice of zone areas where you get unlimited travel on the tube, buses, national rail, DLR and Tramlink in said zones.

If you live within the former NSE (Network Southeast) area, you can buy travelcards from your departure station, outside of zones 1-6.

Most London buses and tube trains have on board visual and verbal announcements, so you know exactly where you are going.

Most buses also have inbuilt extendible ramps and low floor access for disabled users.

Disabled access for tube users is being extended, including raised platform access (platform humps) in order to make it easier for disabled users.

These things take time. However, any new station will come with disabled access, in accordance with Disability Discrimination Act, including toilet facilities (where applicable) and access to platforms and trains.

Personally, I find disable access facilities useful myself, even though I am not personally disabled, as I don't get on well with stairs.

I totally agree London transport is tons better than it used to be, and a lot more accessible - I think I'd expected too much yesterday, I've been in and out of hospital for past 2 years and I'd lost all my confidence. I live in Milton Keynes and in the past I'd gone to Wembley Stadium alone, train through to Euston, bus to Wembley, so I know I CAN do it, but yesterday with the added family issues it was too much emotionally and physically. I feel totally wiped out today:blush:
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Aww purplecatz. I feel for you as that must have been a horrid day. Is there anywhere easier you could meet them next time? London during school holidays (unless theyve gone back) seems an absolute nightmare to me!

At least its over now and you can put your feet up and relax.
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Working till late tonight. So, ive put sausage casserole in the oven. That's tea sorted out.....:)
  • Options
    spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aww so sorry Purplecatz your day out was ruined , some family members can be so insensitive,
  • Options
    FilliAFilliA Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have had an absolutely brilliant idea for a Channel 5 series. After Katie Hopkins has lost all her weight she can turn her attention and expertise on Tinks. I would love to see that ,like a diet versipn of Clash of the Titans. And my money would be on Tinks to win,I think she's more stubborn than Katie.

There must be someone reading this who works in telly and could make it happen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FilliA wrote: »
    I have had an absolutely brilliant idea for a Channel 5 series. After Katie Hopkins has lost all her weight she can turn her attention and expertise on Tinks. I would love to see that ,like a diet versipn of Clash of the Titans. And my money would be on Tinks to win,I think she's more stubborn than Katie.

There must be someone reading this who works in telly and could make it happen.

Tinks reminds me of that Chawner family they like to revel in misery and like any kind of attention and think the world is against them
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    spookyLX wrote: »
    Tinks reminds me of that Chawner family they like to revel in misery and like any kind of attention and think the world is against them

Love the chawner show! :D

We didnt have the sky channel so used to go round to visits ohs grandparents when it was on and we would all be laughing non stop at it.

There was one scene where the mother was farting with each step she took up the stairs. I do think it was quite surreal though how she had no sense of dignity when she happily revealed on tv that she wets herself because she got so obese she couldnt help it but didnt see any point in making changes to stop herself doing it.

Didnt the parents and one of the kids share a bed too, and the other kids had the small room?

I wish i could watch it right now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quickly popping in to catch up.

Purple, I'm sorry yet big day wasn't up to much :(

I also want to see the Katie Hopkins Vs Twinks show, brilliant! :D

Also I AM moving - yay! But busy :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Odd Socks wrote: »

Yay really hope your move is not too stressful and goes smoothly
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    Tt88 wrote: »
    Can we go halves? You have to submit a photo that fits in with your flavour suggestion so in the event of a tie the best photo wins.

I suggest we find a live turkey and put a wooly jumper and one of those hats with the ear flaps on it and get it to look straight into the camera with a "im cold" expression.

Ha Ha that is so funny, I can imagine their faces when looking at the poor cold turkey, with a thought bubble saying please don't eat me!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Odd Socks wrote: »

Ooh, have you got a date yet? Hope it's soon and you can then get settled and relax! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    Purple, so sorry you day out was not a success, put it behind you now, you tried and that is the important thing, if they choose not to make the effort, at least you know you did. It was very ignorant to ignore your OH even if they don't like him, it is good manners to at least ask after him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have had another great day down on the pier enjoying this wonderful weather , I also booked myself a day trip on the Waverley paddle steamer for my birthday in a few weeks time will be going round the Isle of wight http://www.waverleyexcursions.co.uk/ am really looking forward to it :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    spookyLX wrote: »
    I have had another great day down on the pier enjoying this wonderful weather , I also booked myself a day trip on the Waverley paddle steamer for my birthday in a few weeks time will be going round the Isle of wight http://www.waverleyexcursions.co.uk/ am really looking forward to it :D:D

Sounds exciting, although I don't like boats!

I'm assuming it's the same boat - I saw it come aground on the coast of Wales in 1981 after it had hit wreckage under the water - the captain steered it onto the beach we were on to save the passengers as it was sinking fast - saved everybody! (although I seem to remember that one passenger died of a heart attack)

http://www.shipsofcalmac.co.uk/h_waverley.asp

Edited: it wasn't the Waverley I saw, it was this one - one of her sister ships!

http://www.gowershipwrecks.co.uk/2011/01/gower-shipwreck-prince-ivanhoe-port.html