Options

Only Connect (BBC2)

Comments

• Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    Round, Square, Arched or Triangular surely?
    willowfan wrote: »
    But circle, square, triangle, X wouldn't be enough. Don't they need six letters/symbols/marks?

Same with round, square, traingle, arched. :)

How about prehistoric cave paintings? Deer, Horse, Mammoth, Man with spear and, um, another two
    Plenty of scope to get 6.

Circle Square Triangle

Rectangle
    Oval / Ellipse
    Rhombus / Diamond
    Trapezoid
    Pentagon
    Hexagon
    Octogon
    Line
    Star
    Cross
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    Centaurion wrote: »
    You do realise Viccy was just joking when she said that ? :cool:
    That's what I said - it was introduced as a joke :
    You do realise that they were introduced as a joke?

They used to have letters of the alphabet, but Greek ones which are used commonly in maths, just as A, B, C, D and 1, 2, 3, 4 are. Then Victoria said they had been accused of being elitist so they decided to change them - and started using the current symbols.

You wouldn't expect 'Pointless' or 'Deal or No Deal' to use Greek letters of Egyptian hieroglyphs , but they're fitting for a quiz that requires a tad more thought.
  • Options
    xendesktopxendesktop Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's of more concern is that people have nothing better to mark themselves by other than liking a certain domestic pet..
  • Options
    beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member
    Yes, let's get Ant and Dec or Lily Savage. And a studio audience. And have the contestants complete the grid whilst being pelted with wet sponges. And have the public phone in to vote off one member of each team after every round. And let's have more flashing lights, bells and whistles.

I know you're being sarcastic, but I'd totally watch that.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xendesktop wrote: »
    What's of more concern is that people have nothing better to mark themselves by other than liking a certain domestic pet..

I don't lose any sleep over it, what about people who have no other interest in life except one particular football team?
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kempshott wrote: »
    That's tele (Greek) vision (Latin) for you ...

Yes, there you go, indeed :D

One that always used to bug me (before the days when we started calling it 5.1 surround sound) was quadraphonic instead of tetraphonic.

And I hope I didn't imply that you should apologise for your choice of team name, Simon - I thought you did. Yes - hexadecimal: good one!

At least the names of the different polyhedra are pure ;)
  • Options
    atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supratad wrote: »
    But, everyone knows Nigel is Nigella's dad, so for a first clue to be so obviously "parents of TV chefs" is recognisable as an OC trap. If it were that connection, it would start obscure and Nigel Lawson would have been the 4th clue.
    Shirley it was more obviously "former chancellors of Thatcher" or something.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    I like Victoria Coren-Mitchell but am biased because I loved watching her dad, Alan, on 'Call My Bluff'. She's definitely a chip off the old block.
    And on the News Quiz when it was worth listening to. And I actually used to buy Punch every month when he was editor too, believe it or not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JeffG1 wrote: »
    And Simon, Simon ... oh dear! Why didn't you call yourselves the Ailurophiles and avoid having to apologise for that awful Latin/Greek hotch potch?
    The obvious riposte would have been to ask why she's always on television.
  • Options
    SimonK01SimonK01 Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    atg wrote: »
    The obvious riposte would have been to ask why she's always on television.

Vicky didn't specifically mention about it being Latin/Greek though - she just said something like, "Tell me about your team name." I was just a bit defensive because every bloody other team had criticised us for it in the bar the night before.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SimonK01 wrote: »
    Vicky didn't specifically mention about it being Latin/Greek though - she just said something like, "Tell me about your team name." I was just a bit defensive because every bloody other team had criticised us for it in the bar the night before.
    "What can you tell me about the etymology of the word felinophiles?"
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shhftw wrote: »
    By that argument, I wish they would ditch Victoria Coren, or at least get her to present the quiz 'straight'. Her 'style' is becoming tiresome.

And she desperately needs an image make-over! I just want to grab a pair of scissors and tidy up that dated hair 'style' every time I see her!
  • Options
    JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    And she desperately needs an image make-over! I just want to grab a pair of scissors and tidy up that dated hair 'style' every time I see her!

I can't say I've noticed. Are you a hairdresser?
  • Options
    C HorseC Horse Posts: 747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »

I just want to grab her by the hips ...

I'm not a hairdresser!
  • Options
    anotherlongersanotherlongers Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C Horse wrote: »
    I just want to grab her by the hips ...

I'm not a hairdresser!

I just want to grab her... er... somewhere else.

And no, I'm not a hairdresser either (and nor am I Dave Lee Travis).
  • Options
    SimonK01SimonK01 Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    Interestingly, one of the teams for tonight's show - The History Boys - also appeared on last week's Dave repeat of series 2.
  • Options
    Ex PatEx Pat Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    Did I mishear or did VCM really say that a Guernsey is a sweater worn in Aussie rules football?
  • Options
    Apple22over7Apple22over7 Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ex Pat wrote: »
    Did I mishear or did VCM really say that a Guernsey is a sweater worn in Aussie rules football?

Yes she did - and she's correct (at least according to wiki): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guernsey_(clothing)#Use_in_Australian_sport
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fortunately, they mentioned elbow macaroni on BBC2's The Simpsons tonight....
  • Options
    Ex PatEx Pat Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    Yes she did - and she's correct (at least according to wiki): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guernsey_(clothing)#Use_in_Australian_sport

Maybe the Aussies took it but it's actually a traditional fishermans sweater.
  • Options
    beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member
    Just ten points for me this week. That's more like it!
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Ex Pat wrote: »
    Maybe the Aussies took it but it's actually a traditional fishermans sweater.

That's what I thought, think it's quite an old fashioned term though.
    Never watched this before but it's quite entertaining. Strikes me more of a bbc2 6pm show. Also feel V's quips need a studio audience to groan along knowingly.
  • Options
    chipsauntchipsaunt Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Abriel wrote: »
    That's what I thought, think it's quite an old fashioned term though.
    Never watched this before but it's quite entertaining. Strikes me more of a bbc2 6pm show. Also feel V's quips need a studio audience to groan along knowingly.

Only Connect is more of a cult show moving into mainstream and the lack of studio audience makes it different. I like the fact that Vicky's witty comments are so deadpan. It's a real BBC4 phenomenon and I am glad they have stuck to the 8:30 time slot.
  • Options
    JBOJBO Posts: 6,148
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to Carrie: The Musical
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JBO wrote: »
    Looking forward to Carrie: The Musical

Featuring such classics as

Never Been Kissed