Options

100 school kids sent home for wearing the wrong shoes

Comments

• Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    so if your work place had a dress code you'd ignore it?

People get sent home for ignoring the dress code in my old work as well.
  • Options
    tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think if it happened to 100, then it simply wasn't communicated accurately enough in their communication to parents. Particularly in being explicit about the shoes.
  • Options
    Devon MilesDevon Miles Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    cultureman wrote: »
    Finland. Considered to have best education system in Europe and arguably the world. NO school uniform. Go figure.

Uniforms no more 'necessary' for schools than for universities. Academically the best state schools in my area have a more laid back attitude to the minutiae of uniform adherence.

Unfortunately, for our generation of celebrity, label obsessed kids school uniform is a good thing as it means they / their parents wont be pressured into wearing / buying the latest gear..
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dragonzord wrote: »
    Yes as i was not allowed a t shirt under my work shirt but i did not listen .And did as it was cold .

And they'd have been well within their rights to ask you to change, even if it meant leaving without pay to change.
  • Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »
    It affects discipline. If the kids think it's OK to ignore rules, then they start ignoring staff, ignoring lessons and being generally arsey.
    On the other hand, if such a fuss is made about the petty, arbitrary rules, couldn't kids start to resent and lose respect for all of them?
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,214
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    And then we're back to having the rich kids mounting a daily fashion parade with the poorer ones being made to feel like shite.
    Uniforms aren't ideal, but they are the lesser of two evils. I must admit though that the school went OTT to send kids home on day one for this.

However even with uniforms you can still tell the kids whose parents are better off compared to those who aren't.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    DianaFire wrote: »
    It doesn't have to cost a fortune. My school uniform was difficult to get round because there were only one or two stockists of some of the items and high street alternatives were only acceptable for a couple of things (winter gloves, jumpers and cardigans were fine if they were the right colour, same with socks). The school used to hold secondhand sales of old uniform and kit which would save a fortune. Most of my games kit was secondhand.

I don't know whether many schools run secondhand sales any more but it's so much more economical and you're not wasting a perfectly good item that a child has grown out of.

You get the odd thing for sale on a local selling site round here,but we didnt manage to get anything second hand, its like gold dust.

Almost EVERYTHING has to have the logo, jumper and fleece, jacket, shirt, PE kit is a hoodies, pe shirt rugby shirt,and fleece and all must be bought from one local shop, the prices are extortionate.The cheapest item is the polo shirt at £15.50.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And they'd have been well within their rights to ask you to change, even if it meant leaving without pay to change.

Or they could provide adequate heating so the staff didn't need to "break the rules" and wear a t-shirt under their shirt because they are cold.

However to take any dress code down to such a level in the workplace in 2014 is ridiculous.
  • Options
    dragonzorddragonzord Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    You get the odd thing for sale on a local selling site round here,but we didnt manage to get anything second hand, its like gold dust.

Almost EVERYTHING has to have the logo, jumper and fleece, jacket, shirt, PE kit is a hoodies, pe shirt rugby shirt,and fleece and all must be bought from one local shop, the prices are extortionate.The cheapest item is the polo shirt at £15.50.

and it's hard when people on low income or that are unemployed they have to buy a school uniform and then clothes for outside school.as i said before luckily school had no uniform rule.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tony Tiger wrote: »
    On the other hand, if such a fuss is made about the petty, arbitrary rules, couldn't kids start to resent and lose respect for all of them?

Precisely the point I was going to make.

There becomes a point where rules are self-defeating if they are seen to be draconian and the punishment to dis-obeying them is disproportionate.

Kids, and adults, are far more likely to "buy-in" to rules if the reason for them is clearly explained and promoted positively.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've often wondered about this kind of overly proscriptive uniform which is only available from one outlet - has anyone investigated whether there is some sort of backhanders going on between the shop and the school authorities?
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I've often wondered about this kind of overly proscriptive uniform which is only available from one outlet - has anyone investigated whether there is some sort of backhanders going on between the shop and the school authorities?

TBH, I doubt there's any of that going on.

It'll be more a case of laziness on the part of the school and greediness on the part of the supplier occurring in isolation.

If the school has an "official supplier" they know they don't have to make the effort to make decisions about individual items and the supplier knows that once they've got the contract they've got a captive market and an opportunity to gradually ramp-up prices.
  • Options
    Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,049
    Forum Member

I looked at this recently - there are clear guidelines about only doing this for an absolute minimum of items.

Given that uniform shops are folding at a rate of knots round here, I'd be amazed if they could afford to give backhanders
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does it matter what sort of shoes you wear to learn of course it does not.
    Yes it does. It helps to create a clear separation between a learning environment and life outside. It also helps to instil discipline and help children to understand that in real life they can't always do what they want and that they will sometimes be expected to adhere to certain dress codes. In some cases, their parents are a sad warning of the possible outcome if they can't accept this.
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sounds like mine. In which case it's well worth the parents talking to the school about a regular secondhand uniform sale. You're going to have x number of kids leaving every year and not all of them will have a younger sibling to hand down to, and that's a hell of a lot of secondhand stuff, not to mention the items a child's grown out of. It cuts the cost down a lot and recycling's a good thing.
  • Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    Yes it does. It helps to create a clear separation between a learning environment and life outside. It also helps to instil discipline and help children to understand that in real life they can't always do what they want and that they will sometimes be expected to adhere to certain dress codes. In some cases, their parents are a sad warning of the possible outcome if they can't accept this.
    I think you're vastly overestimating the impact a uniform has on a child's psyche.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »

And yet all of those children around the world who aren't required to wear a school uniform somehow still manage to make that distinction.....

Surely the "clear separation between a leaning environment and life outside" is made as soon as the child, or young adult, crosses the threshold of their school or college. :confused:
  • Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    When I was at school I rebelled against my uniform constantly. In fact my year were responsible for getting the uniform changed from navy skirts or trousers to black or navy skirts or trousers. I didn't do it to be naughty I did it so I could feel comfortable in and happy with what I was wearing.

Other than that I was a good student, I respected my teachers and some how I managed to grow into a responsible member of society who wears the appropriate clothing for work :o
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    When you send out a mass email or text, 'him/her' seems awkward so 'their' or 'them' can be used as a gender-neutral alternative. Not pretty, but it can work.

I tend to opt for 'their' or 'them' when I use 'person' or 'everyone'. I usually shy from using 'one' because it tends to put people off. "One doesn't smirk at one's dog."

Frankly, I can't believe the English language still doesn't have gender-neutral pronouns, especially with the popularity of unisex names and gender fluidity on the rise. Japanese language doesn't have a gender distinction in most of its pronouns. British Sign Language doesn't, either. Cantonese and Mandarin as well. Why can't English?

It always has: them and their etc. Unfortunately when English began to be standardised, some idiots picked up style guides and opinions upon grammar and interpretted them as rules, and have been harrasing the general population with them ever since. Though generally if something sounds clunky in both the style guide and common phrasing formats, it's best to consider rewriting the sentence entirely.
  • Options
    SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So your one of them rules are rules and must be obey.

When you have to attend somewhere and they have a clothing policy it must definitely be obeyed. Not all rules are good, but when attendance is mandatory so is following their rules.
  • Options
    SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Fair enough, but a letter home warning the next time these guidelines are broken your child will be sent home, or even give them a few days grace so the shoes can be sorted this weekend, but to send the pupils home is way over the top, and really is a poor show from the schools head.

When it comes to so many pupils of course sending them home was over the top, they went about it in the wrong way but the parents are at fault in a big way as well for not ensuring their kids wore the appropriate footwear.
  • Options
    Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does it matter what sort of shoes you wear to learn of course it does not.

I agree it doesn't. So the parents and children can lobby the school and governors to get the uniform policy changed to a sensible one. Until then, if they sign up to the school and its uniform policy, then they should comply.
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tony Tiger wrote: »

The school is only 'making a fuss' because some parents and children thought the rules didn't apply to them.
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At my local pub, the landlord has a rule of no football shirts allowed. It doesn’t make my drinking experience any better or worse by wearing or not wearing my Liverpool shirt, but I appreciate that it’s his pub and his rules, so I go along with it. He has his reasons and I agree with them to a certain extent, but feel it could be a bit petty in some respects.

There are other pubs in the area which don’t have this rule so I could drink there but they’re not as nice, don’t have the same selection of cask ales, attract a slightly unruly element, and none of my mates drink there.

I have a choice about where I drink and what I wear and it’s down to me what I do about it.
  • Options
    Duffman2000Duffman2000 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At my local pub, the landlord has a rule of no football shirts allowed. It doesn’t make my drinking experience any better or worse by wearing or not wearing my Liverpool shirt, but I appreciate that it’s his pub and his rules, so I go along with it. He has his reasons and I agree with them to a certain extent, but feel it could be a bit petty in some respects.

There are other pubs in the area which don’t have this rule so I could drink there but they’re not as nice, don’t have the same selection of cask ales, attract a slightly unruly element, and none of my mates drink there.

I have a choice about where I drink and what I wear and it’s down to me what I do about it.

But it's better than having to wear specific uniform, right? ;)