Options

Can you advise me - I'm considering getting a dog for the first time

1fab1fab Posts: 20,055
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've finally convinced my husband that it would be a good idea for us to give a home to a dog. We both work from home and don't go away very much, and I think that there would be mutual benefits for us and the dog. We would have a reason for going out for walks, and I think dogs are wonderful creatures that add a great deal to their owners' lives. In return, we would do whatever is needed to ensure the dog had a great life.

Trouble is, we don't really have a clue about what kind of dog would be a good choice for us. I know that a lot of people would suggest a rescue dog, but, due to our lack of experience, we are wary about taking on a dog that is set in its ways, and maybe with behavioural problems.

So what I'm wondering is, would you say a puppy or an adult would be better for first-time dog owners?

Thanks for reading!

Comments

• Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not a dog owner, but when I got my cat I went to the local Cats Protection branch and talked to them about my situation - work/house - and they sorted me out with a suitable cat. I'd think a dog rescue would be the same, they are going to know the dogs temperament far more than a breeder could tell you about how a puppy will turn out.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    I'm not a dog owner, but when I got my cat I went to the local Cats Protection branch and talked to them about my situation - work/house - and they sorted me out with a suitable cat. I'd think a dog rescue would be the same, they are going to know the dogs temperament far more than a breeder could tell you about how a puppy will turn out.

That's good advice - thanks.
  • Options
    pie-eyedpie-eyed Posts: 8,456
    Forum Member
    Think about a retired greyhound. They are the most well behaved dog you will ever have. They don't need a lot of exercise, never run around in the house, hardly bark. They rarely put a paw wrong really. They are also loving and undemanding. A bed and food, and lots of cuddles is all they want.
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pie-eyed wrote: »
    Think about a retired greyhound. They are the most well behaved dog you will ever have. They don't need a lot of exercise, never run around in the house, hardly bark. They rarely put a paw wrong really. They are also loving and undemanding. A bed and food, and lots of cuddles is all they want.

This.
    Beautiful dogs, can't recommend them highly enough OP. Quick learners too, able to adapt easily. :)
  • Options
    DigitalSpyUserDigitalSpyUser Posts: 1,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've grown up with dogs my whole life, and here is my take. Dogs will require more input than you think. Compared to cats, they require much more attention and care but having them as pets is much more rewarding.

You need to get a breed with an energy level that will suit your lifestyle, and it's not necessarily the size of the dog that matters. You also might want a breed of dog that is easy to train. We have cairn terriers, but they're very independent and stubborn, and not the most obedient. However they are very friendly dogs and great fun.

You might want to consider the following points when looking at breeds.

Obedience
    size
    energy levels
    good at being left alone or need lots of attention (some dogs are better than others)
    good first breed to own
    What grooming is needed
    easily trainable or not easily trainable

Try this

http://www.animalplanet.com/breed-selector/dog-breeds.html
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Can't disagree enough with this.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Friend of mine at school used to take on retired greyhounds and they were very happy with them. One note of caution - any cat that strayed into their garden would be attacked and usually killed.
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member

I too agree with this.

Puppies are hard work any dog you get older than six months could indeed have behavioural problems but at least if you do go to a rescue centre the dog will have had an assessment done and you will know a bit more about it compared to someone advertising a dog in the paper and telling you all the things you want to here. Rescues will also support you and the dog in settling in to your home, can advise on any training if needed and will also take the dog back if it is not a fit
  • Options
    riversmumriversmum Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another vote for a rescue greyhound, I've got 3 and a whippet x. They make great companions and are relatively easy as long as you understand them. I'd say go to a reputable rescue that puts them into foster homes before homing, I can give you names if I know what area you're in. By getting one that has been in a foster home it will be house trained although a few accident are common when they first move into their new home and will be used to being in a home. The dog will have been fully assessed, someone will do a homecheck and just make sure your garden is secure and house suitable and a chat about what you're looking for in your new dog and then they can advise you as to which dog will suit you and your lifestyle, all aimed at successful adoptions (I know - I do homechecks in my area!)

Home visits aren't about whether your house is spotless or beautifully furnished, just about spotting any likely escape routes or hazards and a friendly chat to answer any questions you may have. All responsible rescues do this.

Good luck whatever you decide to do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Friend of mine at school used to take on retired greyhounds and they were very happy with them. One note of caution - any cat that strayed into their garden would be attacked and usually killed.[/QUOT

This does need to be thought about although its not a problem exclusive to greyhounds. My own greyhound lives with cats without a problem and has never tried to chase any other cat either. This is where the rescue centres are invaluable. They will match the dog with the families and always be available to help with any issues.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Friend of mine at school used to take on retired greyhounds and they were very happy with them. One note of caution - any cat that strayed into their garden would be attacked and usually killed.

we had a staffie in that was touch and go for a while after he got attacked by two grey hounds.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's all any breed wants not just grey hounds :confused:

OP just go to a rescue centre and have a look around I'm sure there will be one that you will fall head over heels for.
  • Options
    Forum Member

OP just go to a rescue centre and have a look around I'm sure there will be one that you will fall head over heels for.

Different breeds can have different needs. Collies, spaniels, for example, need to have long walks in all weathers. Some breeds are more outdoorsy than others. I think this is the kind if input the OP is after.
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not really, some love mental exorcise some need lots of physical exorcise. Just like humans they are all different.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would avoid Breed Rescues as they tend to be run by wellmeaning amateurs who are so entusiastic about the breed, they will try to rehome and keep alive even the most dangerous of dogs. But somewhere like the Dogs Trust is better as they know how to assess the dogs, and will try and match the dog to you, so if you are upfront about not wanting to cope with behavioural problems, am fairly sure they will look for a dog that has none. And many dogs are in rescue through no fault of their own, because an elderly owner died, or an owner was made redundant/homeless, whatever. Also, some rescues will get pups from time to time when a pregnant b1tch comes in. So you can keep an eye out for them.

A few months back, I went into the Dogs Trust because a friend wanted to go and look and I happened to be in her car with her when she drove past. As we were there, a man was taking home a lovely little pup. We looked at the dogs in there and quite a few of them struck me as being absolutely fine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really, some love mental exorcise some need lots of physical exorcise. Just like humans they are all different.

you just said not really to a dog wanting a bed, food and love. Ok then what dogs doesn't want that??? I didn't say one thing about exercise :confused:
  • Options
    JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This 100%. Brilliant dogs. Until you live with one you cant really explain how brilliant they are.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Different breeds can have different needs. Collies, spaniels, for example, need to have long walks in all weathers. Some breeds are more outdoorsy than others. I think this is the kind if input the OP is after.

Yea not get this breed there the best is basically what your saying, when I have know quite a few grey hounds to be aggressive so they aren't for everyone.

Like I said to the OP they need to visit rescues and see the various breeds they have, just because you like grey hounds they may not. Its like little dogs, I don't like them doesn't mean the OP wont. I love staffies but haven't suggest once to get one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you just said not really to a dog wanting a bed, food and love. Ok then what dogs doesn't want that??? I didn't say one thing about exercise :confused:

But its well know that certain breeds like greyhounds dont like or need a lot of exorcise. So yes all they really need is food love and cuddles and a short walk or run.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But its well know that certain breeds like greyhounds dont like or need a lot of exorcise. So yes all they really need is food love and cuddles and a short walk or run.

you completely ignored what I said. I wasn't on about grey hounds I'm on about all dogs in general. You said not really when I said ALL dogs want food, bed and love not just grey hounds.

The OP has even said the dog they chose will give the chance to go on walks so clearly they want one the likes exercise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you completely ignored what I said. I wasn't on about grey hounds I'm on about all dogs in general. You said not really when I said ALL dogs want food, bed and love not just grey hounds.

The OP has even said the dog they chose will give the chance to go on walks so clearly they want one the likes exercise.

This is obviously a misunderstanding on what we both read from "that" post you quoted. We shall just leave it there. :)
  • Options
    JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yea not get this breed there the best is basically what your saying, when I have know quite a few grey hounds to be aggressive so they aren't for everyone.

Like I said to the OP they need to visit rescues and see the various breeds they have, just because you like grey hounds they may not. Its like little dogs, I don't like them doesn't mean the OP wont. I love staffies but haven't suggest once to get one.

Greyhounds are one of the most placid breeds I have ever come across. The reason for suggesting greyhounds is the vast number in rescue which have to come to the end of their racing career and are cast aside around the age of 3. They have had a rubbish time and really deserve some TLC.

I agree the OP needs to visits rescues and get a feel of the right dog for her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JJ75 wrote: »
    Greyhounds are one of the most placid breeds I have ever come across. The reason for suggesting greyhounds is the vast number in rescue which have to come to the end of their racing career and are cast aside around the age of 3. They have had a rubbish time and really deserve some TLC.

I agree the OP needs to visits rescues and get a feel of the right dog for her.

Its the same with staffs. People get them, they are too loving and not aggressive enough for little idiots and then they get dumped. I was so scared of mine because of the horrors stories about them, its embarrassing to say but I didn't like to be left in a room with him. But now I would do anything for my little fatty :) and realised they are not that bad.

I wouldn't be able to go to a rescue because I would get rid of the other half and have lots of dogs :D
  • Options
    Forum Member

It's not up to me to say 'get this not that' to the OP and I don't think I have done. Since the OP has asked for suggestions I have made one. I think that's OK. Obviously the OP is going to research all kinds of options before deciding.

Oh and I like staffies too. Well done you for having enough restraint not to suggest one.
  • Options
    riversmumriversmum Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not saying that greyhounds can't be aggressive with small furry animals and wildlife - as can other breeds but in my experience they are rarely aggressive to bigger dogs without provocation.

What is happening a lot now is that a lot of youths have moved on from pure bull breeds/staffis to bull lurchers which are greyhound crossed with a bull breed, often Staffi. This produces a dog that in the right hands is a loving family dog but in the wrong hands can be dangerous as it has the speed of a greyhound together with the strength of a bull breed, usually a staffi.

They tend to be black or dark brindle, slightly stockier than a greyhound with a wider face but unfortunately they are often mistaken for greyhounds and sadly thugs use them for rabbiting and often train them by setting them on cats and small dogs. Then the dogs see another dog and attack as that's what they've been taught to do.

I really don't think that pure greyhounds are any more aggressive to other dogs than most breeds although given that they are bred, trained and used to chase, then cats and small dogs may be at risk from some with high prey drives. One of my girls had no prey drive so was dumped as she was no good for racing. She is fine with everything, cats, dogs, rabbits but one of my other girls has raced so she is walked in a light muzzle for peace of mind.
    That was what I meant about needing to know greyhounds and go to a responsible rescue. Once you understand them they are very easy dogs. I couldn't cope with 4 springers or labs but my hounds are wonderful.
    They are known as 100 mile an hour couch potatoes! they will do a decent walk but are happy with shorter walks too.