Will Carswell take Clacton for ukip ?

Comments

• Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    Of course he will win it.

Which says more about Clacton than it does about UKIP's national chances, which remain next to zero, other than Farage. Essex's poorly educated, unrefined, crass, parochial, un-travelled population has always been rich vote fodder for the party.

Let's see how they do in Saffron Walden or Maldon.

That's rather harsh...they've all been to Bluewater and Marbella ;-)
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    PS have you ever been to Frinton? It is perhaps the strongest UKIP area in the seat and it is the antithesis of chavvy as you put it. It's more Hyacinth Bucket in terms of its population!

I saw a TV prog on Frinton once.
    They are so snobby there, they wouldn't even let a pub open there.

Are there still no pubs in Frinton?
  • Options
    wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unfortunately he will win it for UKIP.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    I saw a TV prog on Frinton once.
    They are so snobby there, they wouldn't even let a pub open there.

Are there still no pubs in Frinton?

There's 3 now, apparently. Frinton is very different to Clacton. It considers itself a cut above, whereas Clacton has no such pretensions. Frinton has some wonderful 1930s houses, however, and a great beach.
    That's rather harsh...they've all been to Bluewater and Marbella ;-)

And probably Prague on a stag night by now! :D
  • Options
    Nick1966Nick1966 Posts: 15,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think its likely that on Friday 10 October, the House of Commons will have its first elected UKIP MP.

But is UKIP big enough for both Nigel Farage and Douglas Carswell ?
  • Options
    northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frinton has some wonderful 1930s houses, however, and a great beach.

But i'm sure its not your type of leafy surburban- no artisan bread shop or craft beer bar or fairtrade coffee shop and not even a Waitrose! :o Almost as chavy as Claction really.;-)
  • Options
    radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's 3 now, apparently.! :D

One - In Connaught Avenue. Frinton will deliver loads of support for Carswell.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One - In Connaught Avenue. Frinton will deliver loads of support for Carswell.

What about:
    The Essex Skipper, Rochford Way Frinton-on-Sea, Essex CO13 0AZ

http://www.therockhotel.co.uk/

I guess the first is not classed a "Frinton proper", and the second not regarded as a pub.
    But i'm sure its not your type of leafy surburban- no artisan bread shop or craft beer bar or fairtrade coffee shop and not even a Waitrose! :o Almost as chavy as Claction really.;-)

Spot on!
  • Options
    Clarisse76Clarisse76 Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member
    I have no idea. Did Carswell win the seat originally because he's Douglas Carswell, because he was a Tory or because he's not Labour? I'd say his chances are respectively good, bad and middling.

And if chavs are good for the UKIP vote, why have they never taken Stevenage?
  • Options
    MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it will be closer than the polls say but I still expect him to win it.
  • Options
    wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clarisse76 wrote: »
    I have no idea. Did Carswell win the seat originally because he's Douglas Carswell, because he was a Tory or because he's not Labour? I'd say his chances are respectively good, bad and middling.

I always thought the chav vote went Labour along with those who prefer to remain on benefits rather than working.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Essex chavs are a breed unto themselves. The Hertfordshire variety don't come close. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MartinP wrote: »
    I think it will be closer than the polls say but I still expect him to win it.

1/12 ON with the bookies. Suggest anyone thinking of wasting their money betting on "the cast iron guarantee party" should visit Clacton on Saturday to get a good picture of why Carswell is 1/12 ON and the Tories are in disarray...
    The national Tory party has set the Clacton party adrift.
  • Options
    Clarisse76Clarisse76 Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member
    Essex chavs are a breed unto themselves. The Hertfordshire variety don't come close. ;-)
    The Unteruntermensch? :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Lol!

You can never have too many unters when it comes to Essex. Or at least, parts of it.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1/12 ON with the bookies. Suggest anyone thinking of wasting their money betting on "the cast iron guarantee party" should visit Clacton on Saturday to get a good picture of why Carswell is 1/12 ON and the Tories are in disarray...
    The national Tory party has set the Clacton party adrift.

What about Labour? What do they have to offer the people of Clacton and similar constituencies? In huge areas of the south and south east, the are irrelevant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    What about Labour? What do they have to offer the people of Clacton and similar constituencies? In huge areas of the south and south east, the are irrelevant.

You are correct. They have let down their traditional voters - big time.
  • Options
    northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »

You seem rather keen on painting this by election as one where Labour is the big issue. Good luck with that.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    schead wrote: »
    Not really. UKIP has always been a home to the sort of Chavs that live in Clacton. If anywhere in the UK vote a UKIP MP, my bets would have always been mainly Clacton or Basildon.

Which says more about Clacton than it does about UKIP's national chances, which remain next to zero, other than Farage. Essex's poorly educated, unrefined, crass, parochial, un-travelled population has always been rich vote fodder for the party.

Lol!

You can never have too many unters when it comes to Essex. Or at least, parts of it.

Little bit disappointed about some of the really offensive remarks that have been made about the people of Clacton/Essex, especially the wrongly spelt but obvious use of a nazi word (yes, I'm invoking Godwin, justifiably)

I suppose those who dislike ukip will attempt to denigrate the inhabitants of an entire area, rather than just go along with the democratic process, and accept that some people think differently to them. It's a form of denial, I guess.
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member

In my experience chavs as you describe them are far more likely to vote Labour than for any other party. Cos they generally live on council estates and claim benefits I would assume.

And sorry I do find your posts rather patronising!

I went to Saffron Walden recently and I didn't see a single non white face in the town all day. Why do such supposedly right on and progressive people choose to live in a town which is about 99 per cent white British? Answers on a postcard!:D

Clacton by contrast is far more diverse!

There really is no need to be sneering about people - just cos you happen to live an area full of chavs with money!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Little bit disappointed about some of the really offensive remarks that have been made about the people of Clacton/Essex, especially the wrongly spelt but obvious use of a nazi word (yes, I'm invoking Godwin, justifiably)

I suppose those who dislike ukip will attempt to denigrate the inhabitants of an entire area, rather than just go along with the democratic process, and accept that some people think differently to them. It's a form of denial, I guess.

It's mainly tongue in cheek, but I have spent virtually all my life working in various parts of Essex. and it has more than it's fair share of unsophisticated people. I worked for years with a very interesting guy, very cultured and widely traveled. Unfortunately, he ran John Cleese a close second in the economically disastrous marriage stakes (looked like Ronnie Corbett but could charm any female within a half mile radius) and when he was forced to retire had no option but to sell up and move somewhere cheaper. He chose Clacton and deeply regretted it. A lifelong Tory, by the way. We used to argue pollitics a lot as I was way to the left of where I am now in those days.

I believe there has been far too much immigration and wish to see it severely reduced, but do not accept the simplistic arguments of UKIP. I also believe it is far from our only problem and have no faith in a Party who's last manifesto has been comprehensively shredded.

There are thousands of very decent folk in Essex, but the image of loud, brash, unthinking types is not entirely undeserved. I'm currently house hunting, and sorely tempted to move out a little to get more for my money. That means the "TOWIE Triangle" of Chigwell - Buckhurst Hill - Loughton. Every time I spend any time there, however, I come scurrying back to my overpriced bit of London postal district.

And I'll take Clacton over Basildon any day.

And if I've overstepped the mark and cause offence, then I apologise..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    In my experience chavs as you describe them are far more likely to vote Labour than for any other party. Cos they generally live on council estates and claim benefits I would assume.

And sorry I do find your posts rather patronising!

I went to Saffron Walden recently and I didn't see a single non white face in the town all day. Why do such supposedly right on and progressive people choose to live in a town which is about 99 per cent white British? Answers on a postcard!:D

Clacton by contrast is far more diverse!

There really is no need to be sneering about people - just cos you happen to live an area full of chavs with money!:D

Who said the people of Saffron Walden are "right on and progressive"? They have a Tory MP with a 15,.000 majority. What I was saying is that it's a very different place to, say, Basildon or indeed, Clacton. The ethnic origin of it's population has nothing to do with anything. You might as well ask why minorities don't move there.

What a lot of Essex folk are is aspirational - at least regarding wealth. It's why several towns you would assume would be Labour strongholds in fact elect a Tory MP.

I accept I sound patronising - but I'm not being totally serious. I do know the place pretty well - everyone I employ is from Essex, and they are the best bunch any business owner could wish for.

I don't, actually, live in an area of "chavs with money". That is a few miles up the road, as alluded to in my previous post. :D
  • Options
    jacquelineannejacquelineanne Posts: 1,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think you have been watching too much Towie. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you have been watching too much Towie. :p

Never watched it in my life. Why would I when I have the real version a couple of miles away?
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who said the people of Saffron Walden are "right on and progressive"? They have a Tory MP with a 15,.000 majority. What I was saying is that it's a very different place to, say, Basildon or indeed, Clacton. The ethnic origin of it's population has nothing to do with anything. You might as well ask why minorities don't move there.

What a lot of Essex folk are is aspirational - at least regarding wealth. It's why several towns you would assume would be Labour strongholds in fact elect a Tory MP.

Indeed. It is these sort of areas where the so-called "Blue Labour" voter will be found. They are the working class people who went over to Thatcher in 1979 and then switched to Blair in 1997. They are aspirational, believe in hard work, hate "scroungers", many are self-employed "white van" drivers and are anti-immigration as it hits them in the pocket. They are disillusioned with both main parties which is why they are leaning to UKIP.