Options

Who Do you Think You Are? New Series

Comments

• Options
    Clank007Clank007 Posts: 2,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The title this week shou;d be 'Where did you buy a banjo'

Half an hour in and we've learned her great grandad played the banjo - riveting!
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    Yes, it really has been dull this year. Wonder if they just can't find any decent background stuff or have they changed the emphasis of the programme. I like Sheridan but this is dull stuff.

The cynic in me thinks we can see cuts in the BBC's programme budgets at work - it's cheaper and quicker to pay one researcher to focus on one story than a team of researchers following several different leads.
  • Options
    hansuehansue Posts: 14,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nick202 wrote: »
    The cynic in me thinks we can see cuts in the BBC's programme budgets at work - it's cheaper and quicker to pay one researcher to focus on one story than a team of researchers following several different leads.

They havent travelled very far either.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless she suddenly finds out she is related to George Formby, this like the rest of the series is paint drying stuff.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,576
    Forum Member
    Clank007 wrote: »
    The title this week shou;d be 'Where did you buy a banjo'

Half an hour in and we've learned her great grandad played the banjo - riveting!

I am losing the will to live and was looking forward to this one.

Edit. And these were the best peoples pasts they could find!!
  • Options
    RobMilesRobMiles Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This guy has made watching worthwhile!
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    RobMiles wrote: »
    This guy has made watching worthwhile!

The librarian you mean? He's rather cute, isn't he? :D
  • Options
    CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    How bad must Parkinson's have been if his was deemed boring and this managed to get passed
  • Options
    RobMilesRobMiles Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nick202 wrote: »
    The librarian you mean? He's rather cute, isn't he? :D

Yes, that's what I meant ;-)

The story has suddenly got interesting as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The last time I saw this many Banjo's I was watching Deliverance.
  • Options
    eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was looking forward to this week but again it's just one ancestor and dull as ditch water
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OMG :o This has been dire :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The last time I saw this many Banjo's I was watching Deliverance.

I don't want to hear the word banjo ever again >:(
  • Options
    penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this national banjo week?

The programme should be re--titled Sheridan Smith has fun with her family

Terrible.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    I don't want to hear the word banjo ever again >:(

and on the next series...... Ashley Banjo ?
  • Options
    topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why did they stop showing the US ones on BBC1? They showed half a series then stopped.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    and on the next series...... Ashley Banjo ?

:D >:(>:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Remember when the celebrities on this show delved into their family's past as far back as the 18th and 17th century? (and some even further back than that)

What's with all the stopping in the late 1800's? Even I could do that without much effort and research.

There's been so much superfluous padding in this series it's ridiculous.....with Brendan O'Carroll's not even sticking with the show's mission statement.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless she suddenly finds out she is related to George Formby, this like the rest of the series is paint drying stuff.

Though George Formby played the Banjolele not a Banjo.

I quite enjoyed the programme, far better than last week. OK, she got emotional but many people do when learning about ancestors.

I suspect that if we read back then we would find that when they did two or more 'stories' per programme then there would be people moaning that they could not go into enough detail because of lack of time.
  • Options
    NestNest Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was really self - indulgent. Her learning to play banjo, then we had to see her playing it for daddy (not for both of them, as she sat on the couch with her back to her mother, only daddy is in her world), and watching the pouty, well-paused sniffs made me remember why I had stopped following her on twitter.

As all have said - this new format for the programme is just boring, frankly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Though George Formby played the Banjolele not a Banjo.

I was just trying to think of a famous plucker. Or was he a strummer, not a plucker.
    For me the program turned out shite again.
  • Options
    KentLassieKentLassie Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    I almost think they could do better with ordinary people who make extraordinary discoveries. BBC have to get off this limited look at a family tree.... nothing unusual, nothing to help the rest of us who want to learn how to do our own search, etc.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found it quite enjoyable because Sheridan has such an infectious personality. But this series has been nothing like the old WDYTYA that used to be so compulsive viewing.
    Focussing an entire episode on one ancestor isn't really what the original programme set out to do. There might be room for a new, different type of series like this, but why change a successful winning formula ?
  • Options
    shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    Dull dull dull.
    This series has been dire. Maybe they should rest it for a few years.
  • Options
    chestfieldchestfield Posts: 3,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I turned it off after about 15 mins., I said to my wife that I felt that could hear TVs the length and breadth of the country doing the same. We don't seem to have missed much

I had to google her, anyway; , (ignoring Heartbeat, etc. I think I've only seem one thing she's been in, 7.39)