Options

200 channels of repeats and US imports

Comments

• Options
    henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You may not think it is important but it is one of those things that makes Sky+ utter crap. All of the things that can be done on Sky+ can be done on other PVR's. There is nothing great or unique about it.

"Utter crap"? The melodrama on here never ends. I've listed reviews from three separate, seemingly pretty credible sources, and they all give Sky+ at least 9 out of 10.

I use Sky+ regularly, it does everything I need, the technology works every time, no problems. It's very easy to set the recording, live pause, live rewind, etc. No one ever contended other PVR's don't offer those, but that doesn't make Sky+ any less of a product. If I want to listen to a radio broadcast I either listen to the radio, or a podcast of it. And if by some miracle I ever did want to record it on Sky+, apparently that facility is available, if a little fiddly.
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When did BBC1, BBC2 or ITV last show a US import?
    BBC1 has one tonight: Texas Rangers. They showed The Stepford Wives last night. BBC2 also show the odd american (imported) film.
    However, if you mean series of light entertainment? Then no. They don't. All that stuff is spun out to BBC3 and 4.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    petely wrote: »
    BBC1 has one tonight: Texas Rangers. They showed The Stepford Wives last night. BBC2 also show the odd american (imported) film.
    However, if you mean series of light entertainment? Then no. They don't. All that stuff is spun out to BBC3 and 4.

And ITV1 shows the Americans. Not sure what the last US import the Beeb showed on one of its main channels. First couple of seasons of Mad Men, although I think that was BBC4, and that was five years ago.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    mikw wrote: »
    Not strictly true. For a start you aren't "forced" to pay for the BBC, many have opted out and they can still watch shows online, depending on what the broadcasters are good enough to provide.

Secondly, if you are watching shows on pay TV you are forced to pay for programmes/channels you don't want in order to get what you do want.

Thirdly, if watching programmes on free to air commercial tv you are paying for it, just not directly.

Sorry I should have been clearer you are forced to pay if you are watching live TV or TV broadcast at the time you are watching.

That's a false equivalent, because you are getting some benefit whereas you have to pay for the BBC and you may not watch it all.
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hendero wrote: »
    "Utter crap"? The melodrama on here never ends. I've listed reviews from three separate, seemingly pretty credible sources, and they all give Sky+ at least 9 out of 10.

I use Sky+ regularly, it does everything I need, the technology works every time, no problems. It's very easy to set the recording, live pause, live rewind, etc. No one ever contended other PVR's don't offer those, but that doesn't make Sky+ any less of a product. If I want to listen to a radio broadcast I either listen to the radio, or a podcast of it. And if by some miracle I ever did want to record it on Sky+, apparently that facility is available, if a little fiddly.
    So what for reviews. Sky+ is utter rubbish IMO. You were the one that was trying to make out Sky+ was special as giving it one of the reasons to subscribe. It doesn't do anything different or special from what any other PVR's do.
  • Options
    comedy89comedy89 Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what for reviews. Sky+ is utter rubbish IMO. You were the one that was trying to make out Sky+ was special as giving it one of the reasons to subscribe. It doesn't do anything different or special from what any other PVR's do.

That's your opinion. Sky plus is easily by miles the best PVR out there .
  • Options
    Omniconsumer93Omniconsumer93 Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    petely wrote: »

You can't count films as imports. Only TV shows, really.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    comedy89 wrote: »
    Since I moved and got Virgin phone/broadband, they keep trying to tempt me to take TV with TIVO. However the lack of a dynamic EPG really puts me off, especially after seeing how the World Cup and Wimbledon played havoc with the schedules this Summer. Sky+ successfully managed to keep track of all the schedule changes caused by overruns, and i'd imagine any decent Freeview/Freesat PVR would too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I put far more faith in reviews by credible sources than user rants on internet forums.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How easily does it copy programmes onto Blu-Ray discs like my PVR (or onto DVDs like my older PVR)
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hendero wrote: »
    I put far more faith in reviews by credible sources than user rants on internet forums.

Like SKY subscribers who have only ever used a SKY+ box?
  • Options
    leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Repeats are ok but not when they get in the way of original programming. Cant understand why broadcasters repeat programmes to bridge the gap to when new series starts. A new series of jeremy kyle starts on the 8th but itv are showing encore presentations of old shows. I cant understand that when a jk series ends then a different programme dont take its place
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    leicslad46 wrote: »
    Repeats are ok but not when they get in the way of original programming. Cant understand why broadcasters repeat programmes to bridge the gap to when new series starts. A new series of jeremy kyle starts on the 8th but itv are showing encore presentations of old shows. I cant understand that when a jk series ends then a different programme dont take its place

Because it's cheaper than commissioning a brand new show for the 6 weeks or so he's off per year.
  • Options
    Peter the GreatPeter the Great Posts: 14,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is it? What can it do that other PVR'S can't?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is it? What can it do that other PVR'S can't?

Oh, change the record. You've been given reasons, now hush. It's fine to dislike something, but you don't need to keep banging on about it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    Are most of these channels showing no original content automated? So somebody just sets it up for the week ahead and it plays the requested material and adverts out?
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are most of these channels showing no original content automated? So somebody just sets it up for the week ahead and it plays the requested material and adverts out?

Yes, that's pretty much spot on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    To me, the "manned" channels are:

The BBC channels (possibly including digital ones)
    ITV
    C4
    C5
    Sky One (possibly)
    News channels

Any with live continuity...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Can somebody give me some examples of non-movie unmanned channels?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To me, the "manned" channels are:

The BBC channels (possibly including digital ones)
    ITV
    C4
    C5
    Sky One (possibly)
    News channels

Any with live continuity...

All the channels are manned by somebody, because things do go wrong and have to be compensated for. I don't care what you consider manned, because you're wrong.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,720
    Forum Member
    Since I moved and got Virgin phone/broadband, they keep trying to tempt me to take TV with TIVO. However the lack of a dynamic EPG really puts me off, especially after seeing how the World Cup and Wimbledon played havoc with the schedules this Summer. Sky+ successfully managed to keep track of all the schedule changes caused by overruns, and i'd imagine any decent Freeview/Freesat PVR would too.
    That's because the broadcasters are responsible for their own schedules on every other platform whereas Tivo has to rely on a third-party to correlate the massive amount of meta-data their EPG requires to work correctly.
    Pretty-much all of them except the "big 5".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's because the broadcasters are responsible for their own schedules on every other platform whereas Tivo has to rely on a third-party to correlate the massive amount of meta-data their EPG requires to work correctly.

Pretty-much all of them except the "big 5".

BBC One/Two
    ITV
    C4
    C5
    Sky 1?
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,024
    Forum Member

Depends what you mean by unmanned.

Some channels are live for certain hours with a crew present in the gallery and possibly at outside broadcasts. The live output is put on a server an endless loop is created the crew go home and put the server to air. There might be an engineer around but more than likely not and the only human is the one at the transmission centre which could hundreds of miles away.

Also at the transmission centre one person may be responsible for five channels and may explain why channels fall off-air because no one is around to fix the issue till the next day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i4u wrote: »
    Depends what you mean by unmanned.

Some channels are live for certain hours with a crew present in the gallery and possibly at outside broadcasts. The live output is put on a server an endless loop is created the crew go home and put the server to air. There might be an engineer around but more than likely not and the only human is the one at the transmission centre which could hundreds of miles away.

Also at the transmission centre one person may be responsible for five channels and may explain why channels fall off-air because no one is around to fix the issue till the next day.

So like recording a daily news programme live for the first broadcast and then repeated hour on hour?
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC One/Two
    ITV
    C4
    C5
    Sky 1?
    Not Sky 1.

The big five are BBC ONE, BBC TWO, ITV(1), CH4 & CH5