Options

Scottish Independence not so unlikely

Comments

• Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,575
    Forum Member
    The Queen is likely to block any attempt for Scotland to assert its independence looking at the papers (keeping skepticism in mind that this could just be a scare tactic by the No campaign). If there is a Yes vote and the Queen just refuses assent for any laws needing to be passed for the UK to acknowledge Scotland's independence, things could get messy.

Another reason why the UK needs to become a republic.

Not really, though in the long run it probably should. It is extremely unlikely that the Queen would refuse assent.
  • Options
    Auntie ClimaxAuntie Climax Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If, on the day, the Yes campaign win by 51% to 49%, would Scotland be able to survive if 49% of the nation emigrated? Not likely to happen, I admit, but it's a very large number of people for a nation that already has quite a small population.
  • Options
    AshbourneAshbourne Posts: 3,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If, on the day, the Yes campaign win by 51% to 49%, would Scotland be able to survive if 49% of the nation emigrated? Not likely to happen, I admit, but it's a very large number of people for a nation that already has quite a small population.

You could say the same the other way round but it ain't gonna happen.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    It would probably happen sooner if the English were given a vote to go it alone

I'm not so sure. The bitterness evident from the English side seems to suggest they don't really want the union to be split up.
    What do opinion polls in England show regarding Scottish independence?
    jjwales wrote: »
    That's by no means certain. Labour would certainly suffer from the loss of Scottish MPs, but it needn't keep them out of government.

Yeah I guess, though I suppose Labour would need to win landslide victories a la 1997 again and again in order to hold on to power, wouldn't they?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ashbourne wrote: »
    You could say the same the other way round but it ain't gonna happen.
    A No vote changes nothing, it's very unlikely anyone would move. A Yes vote does encourage people, and businesses, to jump. If businesses go, jobs go. If jobs go, people go. If people go....

True, 49% of the nation aren't going to move, but if big businesses move and some people go with them, it could have a huge impact on the current situation.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,575
    Forum Member
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Yeah I guess, though I suppose Labour would need to win landslide victories a la 1997 again and again in order to hold on to power, wouldn't they?

Why a landslide? A party only needs a small majority to gain power.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A No vote changes nothing, it's very unlikely anyone would move. A Yes vote does encourage people, and businesses, to jump. If businesses go, jobs go. If jobs go, people go. If people go....

True, 49% of the nation aren't going to move, but if big businesses move and some people go with them, it could have a huge impact on the current situation.

They won't though...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They won't though...
    Who won't what though? :D
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will just be glad when it is over, getting fed up of hearing about it now, been on going for months and months.

If Scotland want to be independent then fine, if that is what they want, but lets secure the border before it happens and once they go, they have gone, if they have problems, then that is their bad luck.
  • Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Queen is likely to block any attempt for Scotland to assert its independence looking at the papers (keeping skepticism in mind that this could just be a scare tactic by the No campaign). If there is a Yes vote and the Queen just refuses assent for any laws needing to be passed for the UK to acknowledge Scotland's independence, things could get messy.

Another reason why the UK needs to become a republic.

Doubt she'll do that...it would destroy the whole principal of a politically neutral constitutional monarch.... Parliament would have a fit at such a move and she'd have done more to promote the republican cause since Charles I
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    I hope that it's a 'Yes' vote and then for the Welsh and Northern Irish to be offered a referendum and for them to vote 'Yes', too

And Northern England. And Cornwall!
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Jolly good :)

I wouldn't count my chickens though; the Yes campaign needs to stay focused and vigorous.

Come on Scotland! The definition of a sovereign country is to have its independence and the highest possible degree of self-determination.
    I know how I'd vote :)
    You're so lucky to have this opportunity.

As if Wales could do the same thing? Too small and your tax would have go sky high for Wales to survive.
    Scotland will find it hard and if they vote yes they may have a shock, after all free prescriptions and university places have to paid for somehow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who won't what though? :D

Big businesses aren't going to move.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't say big businesses. I just said businesses. There are a lot of local, small businesses that employ many people, and that may not wish to remain operating in an independent Scotland, especially if most of their workload comes from outside of Scotland. They have a lot to consider.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member

Actually, EU rules mean the big banks may have to move. I believe there's an EU rule which states a bank should be located in the same country as the majority of it's customers. Since that will likely be the the remaining UK and not Scotland, the banks may forced/coerced into moving...

And even if they aren't forced to by law, some of them may move by choice to avoid regulatory headaches or currency headaches or even perhaps EU membership headaches that may arrive...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I didn't say big businesses. I just said businesses. There are a lot of local, small businesses that employ many people, and that may not wish to remain operating in an independent Scotland, especially if most of their workload comes from outside of Scotland. They have a lot to consider.

Yes, you did.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, EU rules mean the big banks may have to move. I believe there's an EU rule which states a bank should be located in the same country as the majority of it's customers. Since that will likely be the the remaining UK and not Scotland, the banks may forced/coerced into moving...

They may be and that is why they are currently preparing for a yes vote.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, you did.
    Ah yes, I did at the bottom, apologies. :D

However, I primarily meant business in general, although I do believe that several big businesses will be moving, too.

Not a good position for Scotland or its people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They may be and that is why they are currently preparing for a yes vote.

It undermines the claim that big businesses won't move though, and even if they aren't legally forced too some might want to move to avoid the chaos and confusion that comes with starting a new sovereign state...
  • Options
    BinaryDadBinaryDad Posts: 3,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Scotland will find it hard and if they vote yes they may have a shock, after all free prescriptions and university places have to paid for somehow.

All currently paid by money received from the treasury, calculated by the Barnett formula. Which is demonstrate ably less than the money that Scotland pays into the treasury in the form of tax receipts.

You're right, it all has to be paid somehow and Scotland would manage it just fine. That's not to say it'll be all roses, but it's not as dire straights as you might want to make out.
  • Options
    Artemis1Artemis1 Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it all boils down to the currency.if the Scots don't have the uk pound - would the Eurozone not want them to adopt the Euro.
    If that happened the main players could determine budget for Scotland.
    Then your big businesses would leave.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    Will the Union Jack flag change as a result of the yes vote to Scottish Independence?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BinaryDad wrote: »
    All currently paid by money received from the treasury, calculated by the Barnett formula. Which is demonstrate ably less than the money that Scotland pays into the treasury in the form of tax receipts.

You're right, it all has to be paid somehow and would Scotland manage it just fine. That's not to say it'll be all roses, but it's not as dire straights as you might want to make out.

Depends, their seems to be a heavy emphasis on declining oil stocks from the pro-Independence side. (Regardless of how many years there is left, a back up plan for the country would still need to be required).

And, I'm not sure you'll know the answer, but why does Salmond keep spouting this "more tax per head" figure, when it means almost nothing? Is there not a more relevant figure he could give?
  • Options
    DaewosDaewos Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    zexstream wrote: »
    What we need is a hard pressed advert telling the Scottish people what will happen if they go it alone.

1. Borders to be introduced and a steel fence spanning along side Hadrians wall.

2. Ban on Scotland using the Royal Family, Sterling, English, and the BBC.

3. Visa`s for anyone Scottish working in the UK, deportations likely.

Just out of interest, do you know where Hadrian's Wall is? :o

As it is all in England I am not sure how many Northumbrians will feel about suddenly becoming Scottish! Who knows, they may be quite pleased!!

And, how will you ban us from using the English language?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Artemis1 wrote: »
    I think it all boils down to the currency.if the Scots don't have the uk pound - would the Eurozone not want them to adopt the Euro.
    If that happened the main players could determine budget for Scotland.
    Then your big businesses would leave.

The EU has indicated a preference for new members joining the Euro, but I believe Salmond has found a precedent for it not being a necessity...