Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 61)

Comments

• Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Don't we know the consolidated figs for all the high profile BBC One shows already?

We do when DMN or Ronant post them. But they should be on the BARB website weekly.
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    From 4 October I would start Strictly at 18:15, around the same time as last year, but then keep starting it later as it shortens, so it ends (and Who begins) at a consistent time of say 20:20. That's the right balance, I think. Strictly benefits from progressively starting later in the evening when the available audience is higher and Doctor Who gets a fixed slot for its final six episodes (it will no longer have a headstart on X Factor but that is unavoidable really). The other advantage is that Casualty will also have a fixed slot for that period.

Well, however well Strictly did against The X Factor last night I doubt the Beeb would be interested in making it a regular thing, not least because they wouldn't have the same excuse as last night. I know Brucie (who, incidentally, I was thrilled to see all over it) said that he thought 6.30 was the perfect slot for it and I'd agree with that. It might start a little bit early for the really big numbers but it gives it enough of a free run without The X Factor. I'm sure it won't start much later than 6.30 during this run because they'd have to find stuff for earlier in the evening and I don't think they want Who to be on massively late. Towards the end when it's only an hour it can shuffle back but I doubt they'd want to be seen as engineering any kind of issue.

Anyway, both shows did just fine and as mentioned here, the two can co-exist as light entertainment has done for many years, when The Late Late Breakfast Show was opposite Game For A Laugh, House Party was against Blind Date and so on.
    jake lyle wrote: »
    The two amigos only got 432k according to Broadcast :o

BBC2's line-up was a bit odd last night, of course, because they stuck a (repeat) episode of Dragons' Den in at 8.15 and everything after that was an hour later than billed. Perhaps they decided the competition at eight would have been too much for the Invictus Games, but surely any benefit you gain from that you lose from it not being as billed.
  • Options
    JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The question is, why don't both ITV and BBC work together to schedule these shows in a more complimentary fashion?

There's no need to fight, just have some co-operation!
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,574
    Forum Member
    Data for week ending 31st August 2014 is now live on BARB website.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel The X Factor will continue too decline each year and will finally be put to bed in 2016 when its rating around 5-6m.

In the meantime ITV need to find their next big feel-good TV format that will not die due to the viewers turning against it. ITV need their own Bake-Off, Strictly.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    We do when DMN or Ronant post them. But they should be on the BARB website weekly.
    They should, but if there's a problem with the logs is it not likely to be the BBC to blame rather than BARB? They'll be posted eventually.

I wonder why new channels Tru TV and ITV Encore don't have top 10's. The latter isn't even listed so maybe ITV don't want the figs reported.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    The two amigos only got 432k according to Broadcast :o

Do you have a link please?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, however well Strictly did against The X Factor last night I doubt the Beeb would be interested in making it a regular thing, not least because they wouldn't have the same excuse as last night. I know Brucie (who, incidentally, I was thrilled to see all over it) said that he thought 6.30 was the perfect slot for it and I'd agree with that. It might start a little bit early for the really big numbers but it gives it enough of a free run without The X Factor. I'm sure it won't start much later than 6.30 during this run because they'd have to find stuff for earlier in the evening and I don't think they want Who to be on massively late. Towards the end when it's only an hour it can shuffle back but I doubt they'd want to be seen as engineering any kind of issue.

Anyway, both shows did just fine and as mentioned here, the two can co-exist as light entertainment has done for many years, when The Late Late Breakfast Show was opposite Game For A Laugh, House Party was against Blind Date and so on.
    Since 2011 Strictly has started at around 6.30pm and it helped ratings. Even in Autumn starting at 6pm is a disaster. People are still out, the rating always jumped at 7pm showing that starting later helps.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    http://m.broadcastnow.co.uk/5077261.article
    Meanwhile, Celebrity Big Brother helped Channel 5 beat both Channel 4 and BBC2 after recording 1.5m (6.7%) viewers between 9pm and 10pm.

It beat C4’s two-part US acquisition Houdini, which launched with an average audience of 1m (5.1%) and BBC2’s The Two Amigos: A Gaucho Adventure, which only received 432,000 (3.1%), nearly a million down on the previous week’s opener.
  • Options
    AnthonyCAnthonyC Posts: 2,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel The X Factor will continue too decline each year and will finally be put to bed in 2016 when its rating around 5-6m.

In the meantime ITV need to find their next big feel-good TV format that will not die due to the viewers turning against it. ITV need their own Bake-Off, Strictly.

Er, weren't they called Food Glorious Food and Stepping Out?

Still they have that feel-good ratings banker POGs DOGS with viewers in the mid to high 3m's...
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    Mr_Eye wrote: »
    I didn't realise X Factor was actually down on last year so far.

The return of the Messiah has had no effect.

Only because of the Olympics, Paralympics and good weather. Oops I forgot those are previous years excuses. Don't know what the spin is this year.
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member

Thanks Dancc couldn't link to it on my phone.
  • Options
    KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Data for week ending 31st August 2014 is now live on BARB website.
    Mike, can you use your substantial influence :) to get BARB to release historical values for these pages?

http://www.barb.co.uk/whats-new/weekly-viewing-by-channel-group?_s=4
    www.barb.co.uk/whats-new/monthly-viewing-by-channel-group?_s=4

K
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    X Factor had more tweets last night although Strictly had more trending topics. Just proves trending on Twitter is all bollocks and doesn't mean ratings as we've always said.

https://secondsync.com/leaderboard.html#Sun-Sep-07-2014/totals

Of course it doesn't. Aren't about half of Strictly's viewers over 50? I don't understand the ratings war. They're different shows with different demographics.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks like The X Factor has 'the repeat problem'. Last Sunday's repeat officially averaged 1.50m (13.7%).
  • Options
    JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    It looks like The X Factor has 'the repeat problem'. Last Sunday's repeat officially averaged 1.50m (13.7%).
    Very interesting.

Thank you for that... it's an eye-opening fact. It has to be considered in the "Ratings War" really... Arguably a good sign for the Live shows though? If they can tempt these late viewers back to the original evening broadcasts, they could be okay.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Under the Dome up to 1.72M in the BARB figures. Still hasn't lost its ability to timeshift like crazy, then. Overnight was 0.81M exc. +1 / ~0.91M inc. +1 so added a minimum of 810K in the catchup window, i.e. as many as watched the first broadcast live.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks Dancc couldn't link to it on my phone.

Thanks both, but only the Strictly/Factor piece is coming up via the "Google workaround". :confused: Is what you posted the whole of the rest of the article, Dancc?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What does that mean? Saturday viewers being added to Sunday repeats? So could be a channel wide problem. What did Sunday evening's X Factor end up at?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Thanks. I don't think you can do overnights easily for ITV, but do you have the Live/all timeshift split for it please?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks both, but only the Strictly/Factor piece is coming up via the "Google workaround". :confused: Is what you posted the whole of the rest of the article, Dancc?
    Still there for me using the same workaround.

The first half of the article focusses on the talent shows and then it moves onto The Village, and the shows up against it on the big five.

Not really sure why they gave the figure for The Two Amigos when it wasn't involved in that particular clash.
  • Options
    glorafinglorafin Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    FYI there's no BBC1 top 30 progs for BARB website this week, so won't appear until 6 week amendment cycle

I'll be back..... maybe

What's the reason for these omissions? I check BARB every week and it always puzzled me,

Is the consolidated viewing figure for, say, Doctor Who truly unavailable (as in, it could not be calculated) or does the number exist but is kept solely for paying members of BARB?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Still there for me using the same workaround.

The first half of the article focusses on the talent shows and then it moves onto The Village, and the shows up against it on the big five.

Thanks. Would you mind posting the other bits for me please?
    glorafin wrote: »
    What's the reason for these omissions? I check BARB every week and it always puzzled me,

Is the consolidated viewing figure for, say, Doctor Who on truly unavailable (as in, it could not be calculated) or does the number exist but is kept solely for paying members of BARB?

Consolidated ratings for Doctor Who on the 30th and other BBC One shows that week have already been posted in this thread. I was thinking maybe there were problems with the Scottish opt-outs on the 25th, but last Tuesday D.M.N. posted all the officials for New Tricks and the debate. It might be a small number of programmes that are causing a problem and therefore a top 30 can't be compiled just yet.
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Whicher yet another Itv program down year on year. Even taking the scd overlap into account, no way should it be rating as low as 2.3m. But the Itv weekly reach crisis is doing a lot of damage to many of Itvs returning show ratings. I imagine Cilla will be another ratings flop for the broadcaster, to add to Chasing Shadows and whicher.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks. Would you mind posting the other bits for me please?
    You'll get me into trouble!! Don't like reproducing whole articles, but because it's you ;), the middle bit to go with the beginning and end already posted:
    The Village (BBC1) 9:15pm-10:15pm
    4.2m (20%)

The Peter Moffat-penned drama continued to perform well, comfortably winning the Sunday night drama slot.

The penultimate episode of the second series scored its second highest ratings of the run, adding 400,000 from last week.

It beat the Hat Trick-produced two-hour drama The Suspicions of Mr Whicher on ITV, which scored 2.6m (13.7%) and was well down on ITV’s 4m (19.6%) slot average.
This discussion has been closed.