Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 61)

Comments

• Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Incidentally, Loose Women had a total relaunch today - following its Summer break.

They appear to have moved from the large HD studio into the broom cupboard.

The new set looks much smaller and more spartan. They introduced it as if they had had an upgrade but it actually looked like they had moved out of Downton Abbey into Benefit Street. So budget cuts perhaps?

Indeed Ruth Langsford (one of the now regular lead hosts) said more than once that they were now practically on top of the audience and added they could 'see the whites of their eyes'.

The jaunty theme tune of the past donkeys years has gone to be replaced by something less jolly and more bland. There is now a travelogue like voice over telling you what is coming up on today's show. And the ladies walk in off stage en masse to sit round the table in some odd move that appears perhaps a misguided attempt to make the thing look more erudite.

As for the show itself, it was a bit more restrained though not noticeably more upmarket. The one guest was Joan Collins who is not really going to bring erudition and droned on (about drones which are filming up celebrities skirts now apparently)

They also spoke by satellite (or video) to some of the new regular panellists they have signed up during the summer transfer window.

This included star recruit Judy Finnigan live from the sun in the South of France on her hols who was asked why she was reneging on her recent comment that she was done with TV and was joining them as a new presenter instead. The answer that will thrill the audience with anticipation to tune in sounded to me something like she was bored after the hot summer and just finishing her new novel and so she sort of of agreed on the spur of the moment and hoped it might be fun.

Will be interesting to see how this new format pans out in the ratings.

But I suspect it will not make much, if any, difference. It could even get worse if all the fun is sucked out of the show by attempts to make it more like Newsnight.
    I doubt ratings will increase until it changes its timeslot.
  • Options
    MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    Some interesting figures yesterday from the big two, and master of sh*t i mean spin trying to show a similar peak.

Could the BBC push Strictly out every Sunday at 8pm ? A direct clash every week with a view to picking up the pre Downton audience ?
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    I doubt ratings will increase until it changes its timeslot.

Just checked the thread on the programme here and it does not seem to have gone down too well with regular viewers on there either.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,690
    Forum Member
    Channel 5 is to continue to oversee its own advertising sales following the purchase by Viacom, snubbing offers from Channel 4 and BSkyB.

The Telegraph points out that Abraham's MacTaggart was not well received at Viacom HQ (understandably) and there were concerns about putting all their eggs in one basket with BSkyB which handles advertising for the other Viacom owned channels.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/media/11078462/Channel-4-and-BSkyB-disappointed-as-C5-rules-out-ad-deal.html
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »
    Under the Dome up to 1.72M in the BARB figures. Still hasn't lost its ability to timeshift like crazy, then. Overnight was 0.81M exc. +1 / ~0.91M inc. +1 so added a minimum of 810K in the catchup window, i.e. as many as watched the first broadcast live.

I have now watched the first 2 and its still interesting me so I am sticking with it. Not sure I can see why its had so much flak either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    I have now watched the first 2 and its still interesting me so I am sticking with it. Not sure I can see why its had so much flak either.
    I thought episode 1 was fairly poor apart from the closing minutes, but episode 2 was a lot better.

Still, if I could recommend one drama to anyone on the channel right now it would be Wentworth Prison all day long.
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched episode 1 of the new US series The Last Ship (on Sky's catch up already before it airs there on Friday).

How did this rate in the US?

It was okay, not great, but promising, and a bit different, but if it's going to end on a cliffhanger after one series no point in getting into it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Just watched episode 1 of the new US series The Last Ship (on Sky's catch up already before it airs there on Friday).

It was okay, not great, but promising, and a bit different, but if it's going to end on a cliffhanger after one series no point in getting into it.
    Really well. The pilot managed 5.33M viewers and 1.2 in the demo, which for TNT is great. It went on to average over 4M every week. Not as young skewing as some shows in that ratings range but a good performer by cable standards.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad about the SCD ratings last night.
  • Options
    Philip WilsonPhilip Wilson Posts: 1,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It has been renewed for a season 2 by TNT: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/07/18/the-last-ship-major-crimes-falling-skies-renewed-by-tnt/284156/
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I still haven't watched it, but heard it was decent, but yes, as Dancc said, it has done well. It has done well in the demo, and its overall viewers...

5.33m, 4.65m, 4.09m, 4.56m, 4.06m, 4.36m, 4.15m, 4.61m, 4.12m and 4.38m.

The Strain is another which has done well, I like gore sometimes, but I think its a little too OTT, or maybe its because I was ill when I watched the pilot, I couldn't stomach it....
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Last Ship is likely going to be a long term for Falling Skies. It's been one of the few successes for TNT since neither Legends nor Murder in the First did well. Will be interesting what they renew this year. Dallas and Franklin and Bash seem like they'll get the chop although the latter has managed to be renewed year after year
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We've another TNT show launching in the UK on Friday night in the shape of Tyrant on Fox. Can't see that doing especially well, to be honest.
  • Options
    JustChrisMJustChrisM Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    Any ratings for The Secrets on BBC1 last night?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've another TNT show launching in the UK on Friday night in the shape of Tyrant on Fox. Can't see that doing especially well, to be honest.

Tyrant is from FX and it's not been doing over in the US so I imagine it'll be a one season wonder. The Strain which is going to be on Watch is doing well so I expect it'll get a second season

CBS has officially announced James Corden will be taking The Late Late Show. I imagine shows like The Wrong Mans will be unaffected but I imagine A League of their Own will need to find a replacement for him
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    ITV Media top 10s for Fri-Sun (inc +1, not tape-checked)

Sun 07 Sep

Terrestrial

Rank Channel Time Programme OOOs Share
    1 BBC One 08:00 PM Strictly Come Dancing - The Launch Show 8425 34%
    2 ITV 08:00 PM The X Factor 7643 31%
    3 ITV 07:00 PM Coronation Street 6104 31%
    4 BBC One 07:00 PM Countryfile 4650 23%
    5 BBC One 09:15 PM The Village 4184 20%
    6 BBC One 10:15 PM BBC News 3904 23%
    7 BBC One 06:35 PM BBC News 3399 21%
    8 BBC One 12:10 PM Formula 1: The Italian Grand Prix 2993 30%
    9 ITV 06:45 PM ITV News & Weather 2744 17%
    10 ITV 09:05 PM The Suspicions of Mr Whicher 2610 14%

Digital

1 ITV2 09:05 PM The Xtra Factor 927 4.2%
    2 BBC Three 10:00 PM Family Guy 921 5%
    3 Film4 09:00 PM Red 875 4.7%
    4 BBC Three 10:25 PM Family Guy 671 4.3%
    5 ITV3 09:00 PM Les Dawson: An Audience with That Never Was 669 3%
    6 Sky Sports 2 02:30 PM Live International Cricket 629 5.9%
    7 Sky Sports F1 12:00 PM Live Italian F1 Grand Prix 611 6.2%
    8 E4 09:00 PM Made in Chelsea 576 2.6%
    9 Film4 07:10 PM Mr Popper's Penguins 492 2.2%
    10 ITV2 04:35 PM The X Factor 486 4.2%

Sat 06 Sep

Terrestrial

1 ITV 08:00 PM The X Factor 8740 41%
    2 BBC One 07:30 PM Doctor Who 5220 25%
    3 ITV 07:00 PM The Chase: Celebrity Special 4362 24%
    4 BBC One 09:10 PM Casualty 3877 19%
    5 ITV 09:20 PM Through the Keyhole 3867 20%
    6 BBC One 10:00 PM BBC News 3508 19%
    7 BBC One 08:20 PM The National Lottery: In It to Win It 3076 15%
    8 BBC One 06:00 PM Tumble 2968 20%
    9 ITV 06:10 PM ITV News & Weather 2390 17%
    10 ITV 10:20 PM ITV News & Weather 2338 14%

Digital

1 ITV2 09:20 PM The Xtra Factor 917 4.7%
    2 ITV3 09:00 PM Midsomer Murders 775 4.2%
    3 ITV3 07:00 PM Lewis 757 3.8%
    4 BBC Three 11:25 PM Family Guy 708 7%
    5 BBC Three 11:45 PM Family Guy 633 8%
    6 BBC Three 12:10 AM Family Guy 620 9.8%
    7 BBC Three 11:00 PM Family Guy 603 4.9%
    8 BBC Three 12:30 AM Family Guy 600 11.3%
    9 BBC Four 09:00 PM Crimes of Passion 594 3%
    10 BBC Three 12:50 AM Family Guy 515 12.4%

Fri 05 Sep

Terrestrial

1 ITV 07:30 PM Coronation Street 6665 36%
    2 ITV 08:30 PM Coronation Street 6290 31%
    3 BBC One 08:00 PM EastEnders 6077 31%
    4 ITV 07:00 PM Emmerdale 5319 31%
    5 BBC One 06:30 PM Regional News and Weather 4483 28%
    6 BBC One 06:00 PM BBC News at Six 4089 27%
    7 BBC One 10:00 PM BBC News at Ten 3308 19%
    8 ITV 06:00 PM ITV Regional News 3176 21%
    9 ITV 06:30 PM ITV News & Weather 2972 19%
    10 BBC One 07:00 PM The One Show 2945 17%
  • Options
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jonwo wrote: »
    CBS has officially announced James Corden will be taking The Late Late Show. I imagine shows like The Wrong Mans will be unaffected but I imagine A League of their Own will need to find a replacement for him

Really? :o
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member

Well somebody likes him then !! :p
    I guess a Gavin & Stacey special is even futher away now then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    Well somebody likes him then !! :p
    I guess a Gavin & Stacey special is even futher away now then.

I suppose it wouldn't be too hard for them to do a special as The Late Late Show has plenty of breaks but it's really getting him and Ruth Jones together to write it
  • Options
    Forum Member

Helped by a decent lead-in from the news which averaged 3.9m (23%) from 22:15 (as per ITV Media). The Secrets was probably ahead of Whicher head-to-head, at least exc +1.

Good day for Channel 5 overall:
    Channel 5, boosted by Celebrity Big Brother, with 1.5 million viewers (6.7%) between 9pm and 10pm, had a bigger all-day audience share, of 5%, than either Channel 4 (4%) or BBC2, with 4.5%.

3.0m (30%) average for the Italian Grand Prix at lunchtime, I see from ITV Media.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    NeilVW wrote: »
    Sat 06 Sep

Digital
    4 BBC Three 11:25 PM Family Guy 708 7%
    5 BBC Three 11:45 PM Family Guy 633 8%
    6 BBC Three 12:10 AM Family Guy 620 9.8%
    7 BBC Three 11:00 PM Family Guy 603 4.9%
    8 BBC Three 12:30 AM Family Guy 600 11.3%
    10 BBC Three 12:50 AM Family Guy 515 12.4%
    Impressive shares but can't help but feel uncomfortable about this. 10 episodes back-to-back of an import is not what the BBC should be doing on any channel. Fox UK does this on weekends as well but they are a commercial channel. BBC Three is doing something Fox UK is already doing.

I'm not going to miss BBC Three if it goes. It behaves too much like a commercial channel and that doesn't sit right with me. We can get our Family Guy fix elsewhere and the few distinctive BBC Three programmes can still be made, but for BBC Two or BBC One, strengthening these more important channels in the process and delivering quality first.
  • Options
    Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    By 31 August we were only 2/3 of the way through the year, but impressive nonetheless.
    Oh :blush: Silly me :D
    X Factor won't be troubling the high-12s for a while, if ever, one would think, even with +1. Will Bake Off?
    Shouldn't think it beyond GBBO to push for 12m if it continues its current ascent. Additionally, as somebody mentioned the other day, last year's final saw an increase of 2m on the previous episode. If that boost occurred again this year, it's already rating well enough for the final to get over 12m in the finals. Strictly and IAC will probably be up there too - can't think of much else though.
    CBS has officially announced James Corden will be taking The Late Late Show.
    :o Poor America :D
  • Options
    pjh8pjh8 Posts: 4,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Strictly rating isn't really that good considering it's probably their best lineup ever.X Factor's launch this year averaged over 1 million higher
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CBS has officially announced James Corden will be taking The Late Late Show.
    Interesting. The chances of a UK pickup just increased dramatically I suspect. Difficult one to weigh up. On the one hand late night chat shows especially of the American mould never seem to work here with Conan the latest to flop for TruTV, on the other Corden is a high profile name to UK audiences which will help so may be a risk worth taking for the likes of C5?
This discussion has been closed.