Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 61)

Comments

• Options
    tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to agree with Simon Cowell. It wasn't fair on viewers to put SCD up against the X factor. Both channels should consider viewers instead of scoring points against each other.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tobi wrote: »
    Have to agree with Simon Cowell. It wasn't fair on viewers to put SCD up against the X factor. Both channels should consider viewers instead of scoring points against each other.

Let's see if ITV agree and try to avoid putting Emmerdale against EastEnders on Tuesdays.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Same with Emmerdale and EastEnders - interesting adding half hour to the Thursday EastEnders episode has been mentioned as that creates a clash with Emmerdale too. ;)

There was no reason why Strictly couldn't have stayed where it was. It would have had a 15 minute advantage on a weakened Coronation Street out of usual slot and it would have been a cross genre clash rather than like for like.

BUT ITV should have declared Coronation Street in the provisionals.
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Let's see if ITV agree and try to avoid putting Emmerdale against EastEnders on Tuesdays.
    I doubt it tbh.
    I was thinking earlier that if ITV have an Hour Emmerdale on Tuesday 16th (EastEnders huge episode) then the BBC could do this.

EastEnders 7:00pm-8:00pm
    Holby 8:00pm-9:00pm (As normal)

Show EastEnders normal slots the rest of the week and then on Friday 26th Run Strictly 7:30pm-9:00pm and Drop EastEnders or unless there is an extra episode of EastEnders somewhere have Strictly run 7:00pm-8:30pm and then EastEnders going head to head with Corrie at 8:30pm with a Strictly lead in.

It's the sort of thing iTV have been doing so why can't the BBC?
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Corrie was written and filmed months ago with the storyline based on a Sunday. Normally they don't say what day it is, last night they mentioned a hundred times it was a Sunday.

Half of those slots are never used for Corrie. Sunday night is always used when they can't air on a Monday. You could also say Strictly didn't NEED to be on last night as well, but that view would never gain traction would it.

Strictly does air on Sundays throughout Autumn, Corrie doesn't. ITV knew Corrie would air, be honest about it. Simples. I love the way that you blame BBC for a one off, singular clash, yet never criticise ITV for their pathetic deliberate ED clashes against EE. Especially when EE is always in the same slot and has been for 30 years!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    Same with Emmerdale and EastEnders - interesting adding half hour to the Thursday EastEnders episode has been mentioned as that creates a clash with Emmerdale too. ;)

There was no reason why Strictly couldn't have stayed where it was. It would have had a 15 minute advantage on a weakened Coronation Street out of usual slot and it would have been a cross genre clash rather than like for like.

BUT ITV should have declared Coronation Street in the provisionals.
    Yeah and the BBC had used that slot for extra EastEnders/Missed episodes since Corrie moved to 8:30 on Friday.

When the BBC does this it's very rare anyway. Emmerdale runs into EastEnders slots far too often.
  • Options
    AUNACAUNAC Posts: 191
    Forum Member

I wonder if he would be bleeting if it was the other way round
  • Options
    Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    dan2008 wrote: »
    I doubt it tbh.
    I was thinking earlier that if ITV have an Hour Emmerdale on Tuesday 16th (EastEnders huge episode) then the BBC could do this.

EastEnders 7:00pm-8:00pm
    Holby 8:00pm-9:00pm (As normal)

Show EastEnders normal slots the rest of the week and then on Friday 26th Run Strictly 7:30pm-9:00pm and Drop EastEnders or unless there is an extra episode of EastEnders somewhere have Strictly run 7:00pm-8:30pm and then EastEnders going head to head with Corrie at 8:30pm with a Strictly lead in.

It's the sort of thing iTV have been doing so why can't the BBC?

ITV won't have an hour of anything that night except coverage of Liverpool's return to the Champions League.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AUNAC wrote: »
    I wonder if he would be bleeting if it was the other way round

How do you mean? He was complaining about the clash the moment it was declared.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zac Quinn wrote: »
    ITV won't have an hour of anything that night except coverage of Liverpool's return to the Champions League.

Also this season the last time they show Liverpool live for a few years. Next season will be interesting when they have very little football, don't be surprised if ITV are considering moving the extra Monday and Friday episodes of Coronation St to Tuesdays and Thursdays after Eastenders to be guaranteed at least 6 million viewers on fairly weak nights.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah and the BBC had used that slot for extra EastEnders/Missed episodes since Corrie moved to 8:30 on Friday.

When the BBC does this it's very rare anyway. Emmerdale runs into EastEnders slots far too often.

Neither should run into the others' slots at all. They know when there are going to be football matches etc. - they could just cut Emmerdale's episode count. Same with Coronation Street and EastEnders.
  • Options
    Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    Great result for Strictly last night. Surprised it matched last years 8.4m rating. It was a fun show and I'm fully expecting it to rate as well as last year in the overnights. Can't see too much change. Maybe a small decline - but nothing too much.

The X Factor did OK under the circumstances. I don't think anyone thought it would beat Strictly last night and 7.8m inc +1 isn't bad at all really. The excluding +1 rating doesn't make for great reading (7.1m) - but at least it didn't go under 7m. Again, I'm expecting to return to more normal levels next weekend (between 8-9m) - but it's hard to get a good read for this series so far after the odd first Sunday rating and last nights clash with Strictly. The Saturday shows are both up y-o-y though. Next weekend should tell us more how things are going.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Neither should run into the others' slots at all. They know when there are going to be football matches etc. - they could just cut Emmerdale's episode count. Same with Coronation Street and EastEnders.
    Disagree.
    EastEnders is only on 4 nights compared to Emmerdale's 6 and for years they used the Thursday slot for an hour episode to make up for a lost episode long before Emmerdale started to air at 8:00pm

If the BBC just decided to move EastEnders to 7:00pm one night then fair enough.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, but ITV made a big mistake scheduling a two-hour drama in the 9pm slot. They could have been shown at 8pm in August, or split the stories into a couple of two-parters to run at 9pm in late August and early September. Even in ITV's pomp, there were very few two-hour dramas in Sunday 9pm slots, and they were only there because they were violent, and/or known to be robust enough to hold an audience.

All the profit sheets, share prices and pie-charts ITV can waggle in people's faces don't detract from the fact their main channel is making lots of elementary scheduling mistakes these days.

I think they need a fresh pair of eyes in the scheduling department.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Also this season the last time they show Liverpool live for a few years. Next season will be interesting when they have very little football, don't be surprised if ITV are considering moving the extra Monday and Friday episodes of Coronation St to Tuesdays and Thursdays after Eastenders to be guaranteed at least 6 million viewers on fairly weak nights.

Personally I'd rejig the soap schedule entirely once the football moves:
    Monday
    As now

Tuesday - Thursday
    20.00 Coronation Street
    20.30 Emmerdale

Friday
    19.00 - 20.00 Emmerdale
    20.30 Coronation Street

Gameshows and factual can air in the 7pm hour - as long as they're decent they'll offer an alternative to EastEnders. Every 9pm slot gets a soap lead in. Coronation Street heads the hour as the stronger show.

I have to admit it's not without risk.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Out all of the channels, I watch ITV the least now. If they do show something good, I will miss it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disagree.
    EastEnders is only on 4 nights compared to Emmerdale's 6 and for years they used the Thursday slot for an hour episode to make up for a lost episode long before Emmerdale started to air at 8:00pm

If the BBC just decided to move EastEnders to 7:00pm one night then fair enough.

Two hours is enough - airtime wise Eastenders (4x28 = 112 mins) is on around the same amount of time as Coronation Street (5x22 = 110 mins) and is only about 20 minutes less than Emmerdale (6x22 = 132 mins). All the soaps are struggling to stay fresh due to this bombardment - dropping an episode when it's not needed in it's slot will hardly harm the quality.
  • Options
    Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The collapse of the soaps really is shocking. The fact that a rating in the 5ms for Eastenders and the 6ms for Corrie passes almost without comment would have been unthinkable even 2 years ago.
  • Options
    aberdaberdonianaberdaberdonian Posts: 241
    Forum Member

Totally agree with this. And with the overnight ratings beginning to slide, perhaps both channels will be more inclined to nurture their soaps and miss an episode rather than throw it out in random slot which I believe only hastens their decline.
  • Options
    aberdaberdonianaberdaberdonian Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    Great result for Strictly last night. Surprised it matched last years 8.4m rating. It was a fun show and I'm fully expecting it to rate as well as last year in the overnights. Can't see too much change. Maybe a small decline - but nothing too much.

The X Factor did OK under the circumstances. I don't think anyone thought it would beat Strictly last night and 7.8m inc +1 isn't bad at all really. The excluding +1 rating doesn't make for great reading (7.1m) - but at least it didn't go under 7m. Again, I'm expecting to return to more normal levels next weekend (between 8-9m) - but it's hard to get a good read for this series so far after the odd first Sunday rating and last nights clash with Strictly. The Saturday shows are both up y-o-y though. Next weekend should tell us more how things are going.

Yeah, can't disagree with any of that.
  • Options
    PJ1893PJ1893 Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You no it's bad he's using peaks lol.

Sorry if this has already been covered ( I've just come in from a long day at work :p ), I find Cowell's tweet confusing...

Why do they count +1 in the peaks? I always thought a 'peak' figure should show the total no. of viewers watching the show at one time (e.g 9.4 tuned in to watch Strictly at one point).

I know the BBC don't have a +1 channel, but why is XF's +1 channel added to their peak?

:confused:
  • Options
    AUNACAUNAC Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    How do you mean? He was complaining about the clash the moment it was declared.

I meant if itv scheduled xf against scd
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AUNAC wrote: »
    I meant if itv scheduled xf against scd

I think the last time ITV did that Simon did question it - possibly because he knew then, as it is now, it's not strong enough to compete. Not that 7.1m (even more including +1) is a terrible figure opposite a show pulling in 8.4m.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So what do you think will rate well tonight?
  • Options
    Jules 1Jules 1 Posts: 2,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zac Quinn wrote: »
    Okay Neil, I'll trust your evidently greater knowledge!

Or Salford.

Not that Wales are going independent any time soon. If there are any benefits for Scotland doing it, which is questionable, there'd be even less for Wales. The last poll came back with only 5% of Welsh residents in favour of Welsh independence.

If Scotland went independent, which is still very much up in the air, then Welsh people would massively move towards Independence sentiment.
This discussion has been closed.