Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 61)

Comments

• Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's interesting people do not read previous posts.

Last night was cause by ITV so you can call them a corrupt company.

Again...

When ITV/BBC exchanged schedules SCD was in at 6.45 and ITV had nothing.

Then just before finalisation of the schedules ITV at the last second parachute Corrie in to torpedo SCD..

Thsts ITV breaching there agreements.

BBC having to put SCD somewhere had to move it to 8 pm.

So,

BBC Open and honest to ITV,

ITV play tricks, it backfired on them, so your post is untrue.

and not knowing the facts you have a go at another poster!
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A.D.P wrote: »

Again...

Then just before finalisation of the schedules ITV at the last second parachute Corrie in to torpedo SCD..

So,

Ok, the BBC did not HAVE to move Strictly to 8pm last night. No one held a gun to the scheduler's head.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    PJ1893 wrote: »
    Sorry if this has already been covered ( I've just come in from a long day at work :p ), I find Cowell's tweet confusing...

Why do they count +1 in the peaks? I always thought a 'peak' figure should show the total no. of viewers watching the show at one time (e.g 9.4 tuned in to watch Strictly at one point).

I know the BBC don't have a +1 channel, but why is XF's +1 channel added to their peak?

:confused:

See below:
    NeilVW wrote: »
    The counter-argument being that the peaks for both shows includes people watching at 22:00, 23:00, 24:00 or indeed any time up to 26:00 on PVR.

But yes I agree, it's an uneven playing field to compare peaks like that while BBC One does not have a +1 channel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    Ok, the BBC did not HAVE to move Strictly to 8pm last night. No one held a gun to the scheduler's head.

Are you sure Samuel didn't? ;-)
  • Options
    Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    Jules 1 wrote: »
    If Scotland went independent, which is still very much up in the air, then Welsh people would massively move towards Independence sentiment.

Actually, according to the same poll which gave the 5% figure I quoted, only 2% of current 'No Welsh independence' Welsh residents would become 'Yes Welsh independence' residents in the event of Scotland saying "yes". Though of course that's hypothetical.
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member

Again...

So,

Your spot on.
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Again...

So,

Oh please come off it. If ITV had nothing then they were perfectly entitled to put Corrie there. The BBC knew that Corrie would be in that slot (it was obvious) and used this as an excuse to set up a direct clash with a fragile X Factor. They knew exactly what they were doing.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    Are you sure Samuel didn't? ;-)

Fair point; that's possible. :D
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    Oh please come off it. If ITV had nothing then they were perfectly entitled to put Corrie there. The BBC knew that Corrie would be in that slot (it was obvious) and used this as an excuse to set up a direct clash with a fragile X Factor. They knew exactly what they were doing.

Exactly, everyone knew Corrie was going to air there.

Even Samuel admitted it was blatantly obvious and the BBC knew this.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnnymc wrote: »
    "Doctor Who: The Waters of Mars" - 9.1 million BBC one

"The X Factor" - 14.3 million - itv

"I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here" - 9.8 million - ITV

15 November 2009

According to SFX ratings.

Russell T Davies, head writer of "Doctor Who" between 2005 and 2009, says in an interview to celebrate 50 year's of the show, that a plan had been set up to move "Doctor Who" to Sunday evenings in 2005, if the ratings began to drop and fail on a Saturday evening. I have often thought Sundays would be better for "Doctor Who" at 7pm.

2009 was a big year for X Factor and Strictly but for different reasons.

Strictly in the previous year had the performance show on Saturday and a results show on Sunday. This worked well in 2008. The BBC in their infinite wisdom decided on a combined performance & results show on Saturdays in 2009 that was a disaster. With Strictly out of the way on Sunday X Factor moved their results show there and cemented that 8pm slot. Plus X Factor talent during that series really pushed the show to new heights that year. By November everybody was running scared. Waters Of Mars was the first Doctor Who, non Christmas Day, episode since 2005 to not go on Saturday. It was avoiding X Factor, Strictly eventually moved times on Saturday to avoid X Factor, Autumn Top Gear moved to 9pm on Sundays to avoid X Factor and X Factor just beat everything.

X Factor did even better in 2010, thanks in part to a snow boost, but that year was when things started to change.

Strictly was revamped in 2010 and one week it started ridiculously (around 5.45pm), early to avoid X Factor. But then the Arctic snow came! All TV got a boost and this coincided with Strictly starting around 6.30pm. Ratings shot up and BBC1 realised that starting Strictly around this time meant higher ratings, something they really went for the following year. It was also where X Factor was flying high and they ruined it by breaking up a winning team on both sides of the camera. A complete change of judges except for Louis and their producer going with Simon to work on the American version.

Then we come to 2011.

Strictly started most weeks at 6.30pm, this along with X Factor shooting themselves in the foot with programme changes caused the tide to turn. Strictly's ratings stayed high due to later starts and both shows overlapped with Strictly holding up and X Factor being affected during these clashes. Strictly stopped running scared of X Factor and X Factor became vulnerable.

In 2009 & 2010 X Factor was unstoppable while in 2009 Strictly was looking shaky. How did things change? Mistakes not being corrected. Strictly looked at what they did wrong in 2009 and corrected it the following year. X Factor made mistakes in 2011 and continued the same way the following three years.

That's my opinion on it anyway.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So what do you think will rate well tonight?

Nothing, everything will rate lower than they have at some point in the past due to various reasons.

Inside Out and Panorama might do better than usual

Interesting that EastEnders is on at 7:30, this means that they must have known that Corrie wasn't airing tonight! :D
  • Options
    Jules 1Jules 1 Posts: 2,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zac Quinn wrote: »
    Actually, according to the same poll which gave the 5% figure I quoted, only 2% of current 'No Welsh independence' Welsh residents would become 'Yes Welsh independence' residents in the event of Scotland saying "yes". Though of course that's hypothetical.

If Scotland voted no, there would be no real demand for Independence in Wales, but if they votes yes, that changes everything and the mindset of Welsh people. Most Welsh people didn't think Scotland would vote yes, and most would want them to say no 62%).

A recent poll (May 14) has support for Welsh Independence at 12%, and No at 74%,

Wales never votes for Tory Governments and we would probably be stuck with them.

For that reason I hope Scotland votes no, although If I was in their boat, I can totally understand the reasons to vote yes.
  • Options
    bubbles2011bubbles2011 Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    Really proud of that X Factor rating :) loved the show last night. Although it will never hit the dizzy heights of 2009/2010 again ( no show has since ) it is still fun to watch! :))
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I'd rejig the soap schedule entirely once the football moves:
    Monday
    As now

Tuesday - Thursday
    20.00 Coronation Street
    20.30 Emmerdale

Friday
    19.00 - 20.00 Emmerdale
    20.30 Coronation Street

Gameshows and factual can air in the 7pm hour - as long as they're decent they'll offer an alternative to EastEnders. Every 9pm slot gets a soap lead in. Coronation Street heads the hour as the stronger show.

I have to admit it's not without risk.

Could work, as ITV are going to look weak when the ECL goes next year and the current Tuesday line up on non football nights is too weak. However, an extra Coronation St episode might be a bit much, maybe ditch the weakest one of the lost, Friday 8.30.
  • Options
    Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    Andy23 wrote: »

Interesting that EastEnders is on at 7:30, this means that they must have known that Corrie wasn't airing tonight! :D

Haha!! Good point. :D
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They had no choice, Saturday full. Recorded Wednesday spoilers and leaks coming out it had yo be shown, Corrie and. SCD have similar viewers XF is far younger appeal to the target teenagers group and on the wane now. ( ratings prove that)

dan2008 wrote: »
    Your spot on.

Thank you.
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »

Question (1) why were they not honest and left it blank, all other Sundays allocated way in advance ITV knew it would be placed there but choose not to reveal it, (2) Whilst the BBC have Doctor Who, it is fiction, the BBC schedulers do not have time travel or ESP they take ITVs word on schedules but ITV are not honest. Corrie when displaced is normally found a slot post displacement not pre displacement. The BBC couldn't guess it.

I agree after years of padding X Factor is fragile, and on the wane now.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jules 1 wrote: »
    If Scotland went independent, which is still very much up in the air, then Welsh people would massively move towards Independence sentiment.

How? They couldn't afford it!
  • Options
    Forum Member

They have known that the football was airing at 19:45 tonight for months, so they knew no soap would be airing on ITV from 19:30.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing, everything will rate lower than they have at some point in the past due to various reasons.

Inside Out and Panorama might do better than usual

Of course they did. ITV didn't make any changes to their exchanged schedules with the BBC. It's not rocket science! :D
  • Options
    aberdaberdonianaberdaberdonian Posts: 241
    Forum Member
    In the end, does it really matter where strictly or x-factor landed up for a single episode out of a 14 episode (or whatever) run. Both still managed to hit high overnights which will undoubtedly increase once catch-up is factored in. A single match-up is not going to have any influence in the long term survival of either programme.
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    The Saturday shows are both up y-o-y .

The second Saturday show last year had a significant clash with last years Strictly launch show. I notice it's been conveniently forgotten by many.
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Question (1) why were they not honest and left it blank, all other Sundays allocated way in advance ITV knew it would be placed there but choose not to reveal it, (2) Whilst the BBC have Doctor Who, it is fiction, the BBC schedulers do not have time travel or ESP they take ITVs word on schedules but ITV are not honest. Corrie when displaced is normally found a slot post displacement not pre displacement. The BBC couldn't guess it.

I agree after years of padding X Factor is fragile, and on the wane now.

1) Maybe they wanted to see the BBC schedule first in order to protect X Factor. Had Strictly been initially put at 8pm, I suspect they'd have moved X Factor earlier. The BBC's tactics didn't allow this.

Corrie was always planned to be on Sunday. The BBC knew this as it was so blatantly obvious that to try and deny knowledge is completely stupid. Of course ITV are going to put the displaced Corries on Strictly launch night to boost their schedule.
  • Options
    Jules 1Jules 1 Posts: 2,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    How? They couldn't afford it!

For the reasons I have mentioned. (in my later post) , I could say a lot more but this is not a political thread.

I wouldn't expect us to agree on this ever quite frankly. So best to leave it there.

[By the way sorry for taking thread so off topic. But responding to others comments].
  • Options
    Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    jake lyle wrote: »
    The second Saturday show last year had a significant clash with last years Strictly launch show. I notice it's been conveniently forgotten by many.

So are you classing 10-mins as a significant clash? Because that's how long Strictly and TXF clashed for.

Basically - that's a load of rubbish and probably shaved off 0.2m on the second Saturday show last year.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jake lyle wrote: »

Since when was 10 minutes a significant clash?
This discussion has been closed.