Options

The One Direction Appreciation Thread (9)

Comments

• Options
    andi84andi84 Posts: 2,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It kind of sounds country-ish doesn't it? Its a good song they all sound great on it too

Yeah, the guitar is quite country-ish, but not the drum beat in my opinion.
  • Options
    annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have only listened to it once, but I like the melody.
    The free song is a good move IMO, and It's nice that you can get it without going to I tunes & preorder the album, it's really for free!

Not loving the album title, but I'll get used to it, and it's not like it really matters all that much since it's the songs one listens to.
  • Options
    ArtyAttackArtyAttack Posts: 67,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    I just caught it on the radio from Louis bit and thought oh no Harry :( But just listened on line and think it will be a grower. It is very laid back and chilled and lovely for Zayn to get the high bits . Well I think is Zayn :confused:

First chorus is Liam and the second chorus is Zayn with a bit of Liam.
    Song does have a slight country feel to it. Lovely melody. Great decision to make it a free song to download.
  • Options
    Mina_CameronMina_Cameron Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This track is really good, very road-trippy like Liam said in some interview a few months ago. Zayn and Liam sound particularly good on that chorus, and Niall's verse is good too.

Very good idea to make it an instant grat thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This track is really good, very road-trippy like Liam said in some interview a few months ago. Zayn and Liam sound particularly good on that chorus, and Niall's verse is good too.

Very good idea to make it an instant grat thing.

It's not even an instant grat, it's really free, as annushka mentioned. Without going on itunes etc.
    The album is already #2 (deluxe) and #33 (standard) on itunes UK, #1 and #10 in the US... :)
  • Options
    DumdedumdumDumdedumdum Posts: 1,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andi84 wrote: »
    It's not even an instant grat, it's really free, as annushka mentioned. Without going on itunes etc.
    The album is already #2 (deluxe) and #33 (standard) on itunes UK, #1 and #10 in the US... :)

#10 in US? those flaky American fans, it should be straight at #1 and stay there for months :p

I didn't know iTunes charts worked with pre-orders. I'm interested in how sales will do. Zayn & Louis's escapade in Peru didn't hurt ticket demand much but it might have had a bit of an affect on album sales (as - sadly - might Zayn's Palestine tweet). Giving away this track for free is a step in the right direction.

Is it only free for 24hours? I hope it gets some press so that non-fans know about it. Radio 1 played it a couple of times.
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    #10 in US? those flaky American fans, it should be straight at #1 and stay there for months :p

I didn't know iTunes charts worked with pre-orders. I'm interested in how sales will do. Zayn & Louis's escapade in Peru didn't hurt ticket demand much but it might have had a bit of an affect on album sales (as - sadly - might Zayn's Palestine tweet). Giving away this track for free is a step in the right direction.

Is it only free for 24hours? I hope it gets some press so that non-fans know about it. Radio 1 played it a couple of times.

It's err 1 and 10/in the US Lol.
  • Options
    ArtyAttackArtyAttack Posts: 67,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fireproof getting some great reviews on music sites. Most on Popjustice seem to love the song. Comments from some stating it has Fleetwood Mac and Beach Boys vibes. Can definitely hear the influence.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »

totally misread that haha
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ArtyAttack wrote: »
    Fireproof getting some great reviews on music sites. Most on Popjustice seem to love the song. Comments from some stating it has Fleetwood Mac and Beach Boys vibes. Can definitely hear the influence.

I agree. The last bit in particular sounds just like the Beach Boys. I really like it. It's a perfect summer song.
  • Options
    abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

exactly lolz :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    love it!! love it!! love it!! a long wait to hear zayn's bit but it didn't disappoint when it arrived :blush::) laidback zayn still gave me goosebumps on first listen kudos to my boii!! love the ziam high bits can't wait to see them sing it live... and i love the beat more and more as the song went on, just simple, unpretentious, unforced, feel-good, boy they still got the essence of the one direction we loved since the beginning...:kitty: kudos to lilo, knowing they wrote the song makes it all the more special :):cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abrightyz wrote: »
    love it!! love it!! love it!! a long wait to hear zayn's bit but it didn't disappoint when it arrived :blush::) laidback zayn still gave me goosebumps on first listen kudos to my boii!! love the ziam high bits can't wait to see them sing it live... and i love the beat more and more as the song went on, just simple, unpretentious, unforced, feel-good, boy they still got the essence of the one direction we loved since the beginning...:kitty: kudos to lilo, knowing they wrote the song makes it all the more special :):cool:

Good adjectives, that's exactly how I feel about the song after a couple of more listens.

By the way, the album is #1 in 52 countries on pre-orders :D In the US, it's #1 and 4, in the UK #1 and 23. A bit disappointed by the AUS and NZ numbers (#6 and #2 "only"...).
    And this is the day 5 Seconds of Summer released their next EP, which charts on the album charts on itunes... So they've managed to beat them with an album which is only on pre-orders, their fanbase isn't going to go anywhere soon ;)
  • Options
    ImperfectPearlsImperfectPearls Posts: 1,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love it! :D

I really like Harry's voice on this track and I'm glad that this new song isn't too heavy. loved the last album but I'd prefer things like this to MM and LBD.
  • Options
    String9String9 Posts: 12,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love it, love it, love it. Sounds like a Razorlight song (can't remember which one exactly). Love the guitar.:)
  • Options
    String9String9 Posts: 12,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

xx:blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And the band are back at the top of the iTunes global artist rankings

http://kworb.net/itunes/

Check out the chart numbers for the album pre-orders as well. It's knocked 5SOS's EP. I don't know how it works for Official Charts, they must only count actual sales.

http://kworb.net/itunes/artist/onedirection.html

Bless One Way Or Another still plugging away. It's a shame they didn't release a better follow up to SOML - Y&I and MM sunk without a trace
  • Options
    twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On my third listen and loving loving it :D

Really chilled out vibe although I would have liked more Harry but still think is fantastic feel good song
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    String9 wrote: »
    xx:blush:

lolz :blush::kitty:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    On my third listen and loving loving it :D

Really chilled out vibe although I would have liked more Harry but still think is fantastic feel good song

on third listen, i was crying when i realised how they could still give me this rush of emotions with a bright new song after all these years and how this actually bode well for their upcoming album :cry::D

i also got this feeling with the line "it's been soo long" that i've heard them sing that line before. and it was bugging me not being able to recall exactly which song lolz-- had to search the whole 1D catalog and found the song: "Strong" lolz!! and the line was "is that so wrong? is it so wrong?" hi hi :blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    on third listen, i was crying when i realised how they could still give me this rush of emotions with a bright new song after all these years and how this actually bode well for their upcoming album :cry::D

i also got this feeling with the line "it's been soo long" that i've heard them sing that line before. and it was bugging me not being able to recall exactly which song lolz-- had to search the whole 1D catalog and found the song: "Strong" lolz!! and the line was "is that so wrong? is it so wrong?" hi hi :blush:

LOL! You're on a roll this evening!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Fireproof" also reminded me of another song i rather like, The Netherlands' entry which ended up as the runner up at this year's Eurovision, "Calm After the Storm". I think it's these songs both having that continuous, underlying beat that never overpowers but complements and highlights the good vocals and harmonies :blush:. Both are just laid-back and feel-good, with retro feel yet still very contemporary... both also celebrating a happy love story, or at least an optimistic one.. :D

www.eurovision.tv/page/history/year/participant-profile/?song=32243
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL! You're on a roll this evening!

it's 1D, man!! it's 1D!! lolz.. ;-) :blush: :kitty:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Niall sings a line that goes something like "it's been so long, so long and I know" in Strong as well. These boys, always pining and fighting fire :p

A few listens later and I like the song more and more. It's nice and chilled and I'm sure it sounded good on the radio yesterday. But I'm glad it's an album track - the first single needs to leave a stronger impression. I approve of this strategizing from Syco - no one was expecting it and the fans didn't leak the song (or even the news). I think there's a very good chance we could get the first proper single within the next month, and have two singles (or at least another album track) before November 17th.