Options

Catching a very early morning flight

blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,129
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I know this is a bit of a naive question, but how do you manage things when you have to catch a very early morning flight?

Say the flight is at 6am, that means you need to be in the airport for 4am. Which for most people means leaving the house at 3am or before. There's no public transport at that time so taxi is your only option is you don't drive.

Do you try and sleep until 2am? Do you just get to the airport the evening before and wait, do you get a hotel nearby?

Any tips?

Comments

• Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    I live about 35 minutes from the airport so i would have a relaxed night before and try to get a couple hours sleep before going to the airport (Depending how long the flight is)

If i lived further away i might consider a travel lodge or something
  • Options
    jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree with cris. Definitely try and get some sleep the night before, even if it's just a couple of hours.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotel room. All major hotels will have cheap overnight accommodation available usually with free buses to the airport.
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see your question as naive.
    In reality, it all depends on how near or far your house is from whatever airport you are flying from.
    e.g. I live in Rotherhithe, SE London.
    I had an 06.55 flight out of London City airport recently.
    As I was only going to be away for three nights, I took the bare minimum, four pairs of boxers, four shirts, two spare pairs of trousers, hair brush, toothbrush, razor, then bought shaving foam, tooth paste, deodorant after going through security, so I had hand luggage only, in a small wheeled case.
    I walked ten minutes to Canada Water station, got the first Jubilee Line train at 05.37, switched to the DLR at Canning Town, and was at the airport by 06.00, having checked in online and printed my boarding pass.
    When travelling for holidays etc. I avoid early flights like the plague, only taking ones that depart from noon onward, I'd sooner arrive in the evening than get up in the middle of the night to catch a plane.
    Fair enough, some people may have no choice, either calculate the cost of a hotel at the departure airport, factoring in the relaxing, no rush to get there, against the hassle of early rising and then the fare in a taxi to the airport.
    Of course in London, we have the advantage of taking a taxi to London Bridge, then 35 minutes by train to Gatwick, or taxi to Liverpool St. then Stansted Express to Stansted, around 40 minutes, or the Piccadilly Line to Heathrow.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 57,242
    Forum Member
    Did this last year, had to be at the airport at 3:30am so went to bed at 9 and slept till 2.
  • Options
    .Lauren..Lauren. Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    Airport hotel, always. Takes a lot of stress out of it.
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,187
    Forum Member
    I would just stay at the local airport. The prices tend to be fairly cheap imo.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jojo01 wrote: »
    Agree with cris. Definitely try and get some sleep the night before, even if it's just a couple of hours.

See that's what I was wondering. I had to get up at 3:45 for a flight earlier in the year and it was definitely worth sleeping, but I wasn't sure if it would be worth it for less than 4 hours.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For an early flight I would always try to stop at an airport hotel even if you only get 4 hours sleep. It removes the risk of problems with traffic or public transport and I'm too old to sleep on airport floors.

Then have a couple of pints in the airport bar and soon as you get on the plane you can go back to sleep again.
  • Options
    jojo01jojo01 Posts: 12,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    See that's what I was wondering. I had to get up at 3:45 for a flight earlier in the year and it was definitely worth sleeping, but I wasn't sure if it would be worth it for less than 4 hours.

I stayed up one night for an early morning flight, and by god, it was bad! I have an early flight on Saturday so plan to at least get a couple of hours kip, just to take the edge off.
  • Options
    abs2512abs2512 Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know this is a bit of a naive question, but how do you manage things when you have to catch a very early morning flight?

Say the flight is at 6am, that means you need to be in the airport for 4am. Which for most people means leaving the house at 3am or before. There's no public transport at that time so taxi is your only option is you don't drive.

Do you try and sleep until 2am? Do you just get to the airport the evening before and wait, do you get a hotel nearby?

Any tips?

I live about an hour away from Heathrow and have a early morning flight booked to NY in the new year. I have chosen to book a cheap hotel near to Heathrow for the night before. Basically it means instead of having to get up at 4.00am to leave the house for 5.00 and get to the aiport around 6ish, I can still be at the airport for 6 but can leave the hotel at 5.30.

Also it takes all the worry out of going to the airport - will the car break down on route, will there be an accident which causes traffic jams and delays etc
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abs2512 wrote: »
    I live about an hour away from Heathrow and have a early morning flight booked to NY in the new year. I have chosen to book a cheap hotel near to Heathrow for the night before. Basically it means instead of having to get up at 4.00am to leave the house for 5.00 and get to the aiport around 6ish, I can still be at the airport for 6 but can leave the hotel at 5.30.

Does it really take you an hour to leave the house?

But otherwise I agree that a hotel is usually a good idea. it also means that it feels like you holiday starts a day earlier.
  • Options
    ratty0ratty0 Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Partly depends on how long it takes you to get to the airport I suppose. Plus the reason for the flight - I'm guessing it's for a holiday, but if it's for something else (where you might need to be alert when you arrive, such as work, or a function) then you might need to consider different factors in what to do with yourself.

If it's just a holiday then you can catch up on sleep when you are there. I would just go to sleep at whatever time is 'normal' and then wake up in time to go to the airport. If you don't drive you will need to rely on a taxi (presuming no-one will give you a lift at that time in the morning!). There is an airport coach running throughout the night here (Bristol) but it's only every hour and can be a pain to get to the coach stop in the first place, so it's probably easier to get a taxi.

If you are the type to get anxious about travelling then you might decide it's better to stay in a nearby hotel. I'm a really relaxed traveller so most aspects of travelling don't bother me but I know many people who get quite worked up about airports and would rather be on the doorstep, so if that makes it easier for you then go for it. Personally I wouldn't bother for the sake of three hours sleep, but I know it might make the whole experience less stressful (and I suppose you can go out for a meal etc so your holiday might feel like it starts a night early if you are in different surroundings).

You might find you don't sleep brilliantly anyway if you are anticipating having to wake up. If it takes you a long time to 'wake up properly' then you might want to consider having some kind of list so you can make sure you have everything packed when you are groggy-eyed at 3am.

Oh possibly one more thing to mention: some smaller airports won't have everything open in the middle of the night, so you might want to check cafe/shop opening times for your specific terminal if a coffee hit or whatever is important to you when you get to the airport.
  • Options
    abs2512abs2512 Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Does it really take you an hour to leave the house?

But otherwise I agree that a hotel is usually a good idea. it also means that it feels like you holiday starts a day earlier.

Yes an hour at least - wash hair, apply make-up, get dressed, check passport, check tickets, check passport again, make sure lights are on timer and working etc :D
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My OH and I always try to pick an early morning flight to make the most of the day wherever we're going. My preferred option is to book a cheap hotel the night before, arrive there early (before 5pm), have an early dinner and go to bed at 9.30ish. You don't sleep as much, but you end up fairly well rested. The routine has become part of the holiday for us. Any hotel within range of an airport will likely have a shuttle or will happily book an airport taxi for you, but as a word of warning, we had a 'thrilling' start once when the hotel failed to book our taxi, and it was snowing so there was travel chaos around the airport the morning of the flight anyway! Since then I've always double checked the booking or made it myself.

Even when we we flew from Birmingham International, we stayed over the night before despite living in Birmingham since the Travelodge was actually cheaper than a taxi from the centre at 3.30am.
  • Options
    SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never had any problems with early morning flights outbound because you can catch up on sleep on the beach in the afternoon for an hour or two.:)

Bad enough spending 2 hours in the airport never mind from the evening before but I suppose if it’s your first time it’s an adventure but after that, it’s a chore. Apart from that, friends, family or taxis (the latter preferred) is the thing for getting to the airport at unearthly times or local over night hotel (those near airports usually to have free drop and pickup to and from the airport) if you have a long journey to the airport.

The worst thing for me is late night flights coming home when you’ve been chucked out of your accommodation earlier in the day.
  • Options
    Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If its a fair distance to the airport then airport hotel, takes a lot of the stress out of the whole thing.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Try living in wales, if it's that early we usually stay in a hotel the night before.
  • Options
    Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I usually stay within spitting distance of the runway. Watch out for the frequency of any shuttle bus services to/from the airport. If you decide to stay overnight on your return, avoid taking a taxi from the airport as the drivers often have a minimum charge, which can be up to £35.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abs2512 wrote: »
    Yes an hour at least - wash hair, apply make-up, get dressed, check passport, check tickets, check passport again, make sure lights are on timer and working etc :D
    Take another dump just to be sure you're not going to get caught short at an inconvenient time. :)

I once began to develop the urge for a number two in the check-in queue about halfway to the desk :(
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Airport hotel and try and drop your cases off the night before if you can. Several airlines do allow you to check your bags in the night before if you have a morning flight and so that will mean an extra hour in bed the morning of the flight.

What airport are you flying from and which airline?
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely hotel the night before for me. I did that even for a 4pm departure (which gave me a nice, easy start to the day) and free parking while I was away.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see the point in an overnight hotel, if you have a 4am check in and are within a couple of hours of the airport.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get either my Father, Brother in Law or a mate to drive me and then get some shut-eye on the plane.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depends, if it's a holiday flight I might stay at an nearby airport hotel, but more than likely I will just get up early, as I'm on holiday I will catch up on sleep at my leisure. If it's a business flight, which isn't unusual for me, I have to get up at a silly time. Usually up at 3am for, say, a 10.30 meeting in London. By 3pm I'm nackered, but have to stay alert as usually I'm then flying back to Aberdeen the same day. By 9pm I'm brain dead.