Options

Anger as Salmond plays apartheid card.

onecitizenonecitizen Posts: 5,042
Forum Member
Alex Salmond sparked outrage yesterday by comparing the Scottish referendum to South Africa’s post-apartheid election. The first minister said the sight of his countrymen waiting in line to register to vote was similar to that of black South Africans ......

http://www.africanewsdesk.com/news/anger-as-salmond-plays-apartheid-card-he-likens-scots-clamour-to-vote-to-south-africas-first-election#.VBC5ZuNdVIo

Comments

• Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    onecitizen wrote: »
    Alex Salmond sparked outrage yesterday by comparing the Scottish referendum to South Africa’s post-apartheid election. The first minister said the sight of his countrymen waiting in line to register to vote was similar to that of black South Africans ......

http://www.africanewsdesk.com/news/anger-as-salmond-plays-apartheid-card-he-likens-scots-clamour-to-vote-to-south-africas-first-election#.VBC5ZuNdVIo

Just wow...

Some more details here.
    In remarks at a rally of foreign supporters of the Yes campaign outside St Giles Cathedral on Edinburgh’s Royal Mile, he said that the referendum campaign felt to him like the first elections in South Africa after the end of apartheid.

Those elections in 1994 resulted in the election of Nelson Mandela as president of South Africa, bringing down a curtain of 300 years of white rule.

Mr Salmond said: “Last Monday I saw something which I did not ever think I would see in my political life. In Dundee, I saw people queuing up – and it was not a short queue, it was a long queue – to register to vote.

“Almost reminiscent of the scenes in South Africa that some of us of a certain age remember from 20 years ago or so when people queued up to vote in the first free elections. I saw people queuing up to put in their registration forms to vote.

Please, dear god, let them vote 'Yes' and be away from the rest of us.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alex Salmond is a horrid, horrid individual. He is to Scotland what Nick Griffin is to England. Two vile individuals whose xenophobic, antagonistic comments have no place in a civilised society.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It is so insulting to even compare the referendum in Scotland to what black people went through in apartheid South Africa.
    Surely Salmond can't think that there is any comparison can he ?
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is so insulting to even compare the referendum in Scotland to what black people went through in apartheid South Africa.
    Surely Salmond can't think that there is any comparison can he ?

Don't you remember the Easterhouse Massacre when the English opened fire on a crowd killing 69 of them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many of those queuing up were under 18, as in the referendum those aged 16+ can vote, something the SNP wanted, afterall I guess they think younger people are more likely to vote for independence.

Although I also guess since the poor are less likely to vote, and the SNP is selling independence in large part on a fairer society as in more generous welfare benefits, maybe the poor are queuing up to register to vote.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Alex Salmond is a horrid, horrid individual. He is to Scotland what Nick Griffin is to England. Two vile individuals whose xenophobic, antagonistic comments have no place in a civilised society.

The differences certainly aren't as great as people might imagine. And people think there's going to be an amicable divorce after all this is over. They can dream on.
  • Options
    Under SoulUnder Soul Posts: 2,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be surprised if he compares the English to ISIS next.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I am bit surprised that this latest Salmond comment hasn't been picked up more in the media generally.
    I am staggered at this statement it just seems to go way beyond normal knockabout political rhetoric.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I am bit surprised that this latest Salmond comment hasn't been picked up more in the media generally.
    I am staggered at this statement it just seems to go way beyond normal knockabout political rhetoric.

Agreed. And yes, it's way out of line. Salmond is never one to say something without being fully aware of its implications. It's repugnant.
  • Options
    StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always suspected there was more of an anti-English mindset to him than he admits, but this.. I'm finding it hard to believe he said it, are there other sources? I was expecting the mask to drop after the referendum; win and he'd be lording it over the English, lose and he'd be blaming them for losing.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,427
    Forum Member

I certainly wouldn't go that far although I think Salmond's comments are a bit of an own goal since they might actually drive away moderate, undecided voters.

I also don't think the inclusion of young people will necessarily help the 'Yes' vote since young person-only polls and recent school votes have produced No majorities.
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Does this mean he thinks he's Scotland's answer to Nelson Mandela? :confused:

The bloke's off his trolley.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I certainly wouldn't go that far although I think Salmond's comments are a bit of an own goal since they might actually drive away moderate, undecided voters.

I also don't think the inclusion of young people will necessarily help the 'Yes' vote since young person-only polls and recent school votes have produced No majorities.

I just thought the inference in what he said was that the Scottish people voting in the referendum were comparable to the black population of South Africa when they had fought for the right to vote after years of genuine oppression.
    I feel sorry for the vast majority of reasonable Scottish people who get lumped in with clownish, hyped up comments like this.
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Staunchy wrote: »
    I've always suspected there was more of an anti-English mindset to him than he admits, but this.. I'm finding it hard to believe he said it, are there other sources? I was expecting the mask to drop after the referendum; win and he'd be lording it over the English, lose and he'd be blaming them for losing.

I think after the poll over the weekend, he convinced himself he's already won- and the mask's slipping as a result!

I think he let that single poll lead go to his head- and has likely blown any chance there was of winning the referendum as a result!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    James2001 wrote: »
    I think after the poll over the weekend, he convinced himself he's already won- and the mask's slipping as a result!

I think he let that single poll lead go to his head- and has likely blown any chance there was of winning the referendum as a result!

I suspect this was mostly about his ego all along.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Electra wrote: »
    I suspect this was mostly about his ego all along.

Indeed!
  • Options
    Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    Electra wrote: »
    Does this mean he thinks he's Scotland's answer to Nelson Mandela? :confused:

The bloke's off his trolley.

You mean you never bought that single "Free Alex Salmond" by the Specials? ;-)
  • Options
    geemonkeegeemonkee Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Any links to these xenophobic comments?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You mean you never bought that single "Free Alex Salmond" by the Specials? ;-)

No but I have bought bogof salmon in Tesco. Does that count? :p
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    geemonkee wrote: »
    Any links to these xenophobic comments?

you don't think there is anything wrong with comparing scots registering to vote with black south Africans doing so after years of apartheid and the associated implications of that statement ?
  • Options
    geemonkeegeemonkee Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    you don't think there is anything wrong with comparing scots registering to vote with black south Africans doing so after years of apartheid and the associated implications of that statement ?

Did I say that?
    I'm asking for these supposed anti-English comments and fine well you know it.
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    Did I say that?

ok lets see

post apartheid south Africa - black south Africans registering to vote after years of oppression from a racist regime

alex salmond comparing scots registering to vote for this referendum who have never voted before to that

think you can work out why people might consider that to be a bit anti-English ?

nice attempts at deflection tho , rather than deal with the implications of what he said lets play word games ...
  • Options
    astorastor Posts: 575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course he didn't play the racist card - look it up FFS - he talked about the length of the voting lines after apartheid.
    Alex Salmond may be hugely annoying in many ways but he certainly isn't racist!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Did I say that?

Oh come off it. The implication in his comments was obvious.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    astor wrote: »
    Of course he didn't play the racist card - look it up FFS - he talked about the length of the voting lines after apartheid.
    Alex Salmond may be hugely annoying in many ways but he certainly isn't racist!

Mmm years ago..a friend of mine and her husband met the man. He was meeting those working on the oil rigs and when he heard their English accents he refused to shake their hands
    Come to think if it, many English worked to set: up the Oil industry. My husband helped build the rig at Nigg.