Options

The Great British Bake Off - Series 5 - Starts 6th August 2014

Comments

• Options
    nataliannatalian Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Martha must be on borrowed time now that she is the only one left not to have been a star baker :(
  • Options
    Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised that so many people seem to annoyed at the whole non-elimination thing. It was highly likely to happen once Diana had to withdraw and just gives someone a second chance after they messed up.

I don't really buy into the whole "it's unfair on the others" argument either. The next person to go home is presumably going to be the worst of the week, be it Kate/Richard or anybody else. The fact that there's an extra person doesn't really make a difference with the person who'd be going home, because unlike a lot of other competition shows, the competitors on the Bake Off have their destiny entirely in their own hands. The only thing that changes if one of the other four goes home next is that they would say "I was a part of the top six on GBBO" instead of the "top five" - but their ultimately making it to the same stage in the competition that they would have anyway?
  • Options
    FooxFoox Posts: 1,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »
    Richard's dip in form seems so sudden and rapid. He was flying for the first few weeks, looked like a sure finalist. But he's like a completely different baker now. Most puzzling. And it's a shame as I really like him.

I thought that biggest drop i can remember. Chetna really stepped it up for me
  • Options
    sycamoresycamore Posts: 4,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eittol96 wrote: »
    According to Diana Beard's GP she was given a bye into the next round of the Bake Off, but had to leave when she was still unable to compete the following week.

This would mean that they needed to eliminate the first week that she was not there (hence Norman leaving), but this week would have been the first that the numbers could be fiddled with. The producers are quite capable of filming various situations to cover the "what-if" scenarios - ie Diana recovered from concussion/Diana would want to withdraw to be able to declare her withdrawal prior to it actually happening.

If she had been given a bye, then it makes the non-elimination totally fair as it happened at the first opportunity.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/letters/11078291/Setting-the-medical-record-straight-on-Diana-Beards-exit-from-The-Great-British-Bake-Off.html

God, that's terrible, poor woman :o What a terrible shame.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Beca's got her own show on baking on S4C. First episode was tonight; you can catch up with it here:

http://www.s4c.co.uk/clic/c_level2.shtml?programme_id=519676042

If your understanding of Welsh isn't up to it, press on the "I" at lower right to get English subtitles.
  • Options
    ThrasymachusThrasymachus Posts: 2,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andagha wrote: »
    I get inspiration for the cake club, by the way that's the cake club I go to - The Clandestine Cake Club every 6 weeks. It's fantastic as we get so many different themes :D

Oooh I bought their cookbook. Was one of your recipes included? If not, try and get yourself in their next cookbook (they should definitely release a follow-up)
  • Options
    longpiggylongpiggy Posts: 2,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't care why they kept them both in. All I care about is Kate is still there. She's been my wee fave from the start. And to be fair if you tot up Baker's of the week...would it really be fair if either went before some others? (Not Martha).
  • Options
    seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    rkid wrote: »
    I don't like Martha, always looking around to see what the rest are doing, it does my head in.

You're being a bit unfair on her. Others look round to see what the others are doing too so why pick on her :confused:
  • Options
    PowerStormPowerStorm Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    natalian wrote: »
    Martha must be on borrowed time now that she is the only one left not to have been a star baker :(

I actually feel that not having been Star Baker is positive. If you look at those that have been given it, their quality has then dropped afterwards (possibly as a result of over-confidence). Martha has remained in the middle of the pack, giving her both a reason to improve but also meaning that she doesn't get cocky about her abilities.

I don't believe she'll necessarily win but I wouldn't write her off for a while.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seejay63 wrote: »
    You're being a bit unfair on her. Others look round to see what the others are doing too so why pick on her :confused:

And of course you are seeing what the editor of the recorded footage wants you to see.
  • Options
    seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    And of course you are seeing what the editor of the recorded footage wants you to see.

Yes I am - I'm seeing others also looking round to see how other people are tackling tasks. As I said, why pick on Martha?
  • Options
    CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member
    natalian wrote: »

Martha SHOULD have been star baker the week before last (desserts) when Richard got star baker for the second time'

Richard has had two appalling weeks and richly deserved to go this week,

Martha does very well on the technical bakes when Paul and Mary have to judge blind - but they find things to quibble about in those they don't like in the other round.

Norman for instance was the top male in the technical bake the week he went.....
  • Options
    Alex_B1Alex_B1 Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »

And the viewers often over-interpret what's being shown.
  • Options
    Alex_B1Alex_B1 Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    Something which quite intrigues me............why do people like John and James in the other series and Martha in this series apply for the show in the year in which they have important exams???
    Don't know about Martha, but James applied because friends pushed him into it, and John appeared not to be very interested in law as a career (even though he eventually got a first-class degree and had a job as a banker with Royal Bank of Scotland, he still chose baking for a career).

They are smart people anyway, I don't think exams would fazed them.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something which quite intrigues me............why do people like John and James in the other series and Martha in this series apply for the show in the year in which they have important exams??? :confused: If Louis could read the form and decide to defer for a year, why couldn't the exam takers; then we would n't have this ( faux?? ) angst about revising for / sitting exams and practising their bakes. Just a thought............................

It is possibly a welcome break from studies.

There are plenty of athletes who are students but no one expects them give up their athletics from 15 until into the 20s when they have graduated. Others have jobs to help pay for their studies.

You probably need to be both clever and disciplined to be able to handle competing in Bake Off whilst at school or university but it is not an insuperable problem.
  • Options
    catinabasketcatinabasket Posts: 707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Diana Beard is on Extra Slice tonight.
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CaroUK wrote: »
    Martha does very well on the technical bakes when Paul and Mary have to judge blind - but they find things to quibble about in those they don't like in the other round.

I don't get the impression the judges dislike Martha at all - the opposite if anything. I thought they were quite kind about her chess themed cake which looked a bit of a mess really. They could have been a lot more scathing if they wanted to be (I'm glad they weren't as I feel slightly protective of Martha).

I'm not seeing any bias or favourtism this year.
  • Options
    CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »
    I don't get the impression the judges dislike Martha at all - the opposite if anything. I thought they were quite kind about her chess themed cake which looked a bit of a mess really. They could have been a lot more scathing if they wanted to be (I'm glad they weren't as I feel slightly protective of Martha).

I'm not seeing any bias or favourtism this year.

Martha progresses through her own ability. I also though she would be star baker and found myself calling out for it when Richard was handed it for a second time. She wasn‘t the one to fall into the bottom two along with Kate so had no need of escape from the judges retribution which didn’t come.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Diana talks about Freezergate on An Extra Slice tonight.
  • Options
    vixyvicvixyvic Posts: 13,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Diana talks about Freezergate on An Extra Slice tonight.
    Braced with glass of wine...
  • Options
    vixyvicvixyvic Posts: 13,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's something about Romesh that's reminding me of Marcus Brigstock. I think it's the beard and slightly deadpan delivery.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Diana looks like she's gonna cry any minute. Damn...
  • Options
    LibitinaLibitina Posts: 2,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And STILL no apology!
  • Options
    bobblabobbla Posts: 11,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well she didn't do herself any favours there :blush:
  • Options
    MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobbla wrote: »
    Well she didn't do herself any favours there :blush:

Nope. I was pretty much impartial on Alaskagate but Diana didn't come off well there. She was on the verge of tears though, I'm not surprised she was feeling defensive and wanted to shut the subject down.