Options

YES or NO......whats your vote?

Comments

• Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A firm NO, landed back in Edinburgh tonight to find my better half visibly upset because some cancerous retard verbally abused her for being English, so a big thank you to the Yes campaign for making a woman feel like shit in a country she has lived for over ten years.

I hope the retard dies screaming in agony, fear, nastiness and intimidation are the mainstays of the YES campaign. anyway matter in hands of police as I will not see anyone racially abused be it my better half or anyone else.

I will hurt anyone who tries to abuse her in my presence.

A No from me after a similar experience. My sister in law was told to f*ck off home by a YES campaigner WHO CAME TO HER DOOR. Shes Canadian by birth and said she was voting NO.

I refuse to vote for a side thats actively encouraging racism. That and their inability to answer a question without using the word scaremongering.
  • Options
    Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Blimey......racism in Scotland? :o:o

That's not good though i imagine feelings are running pretty high at the moment, even between fellow Scots. A 'No' Scot went into battle on the street with a 'Yes' Scot on Channel 4 News the other night. Only verbal but extremely angry verbal!! :D

Tell her to rise above that level 'Sweaty' and i'm pretty certain you will have Scottish friends/neighbours who will be disgusted by that kind of nonsense. >:(

Get one of these hoisted in yer garden! :D:D

Sadly she no longer feels safe so her going to her parents is for the best, We have a neighbour who supports independence and will not speak to us again if its NO but saying that we another who also supports independence who is mortified and disgusted at what happened earlier today.

It's fair to point out that this campaign has nasty individuals on both sides and it's brought out the worst in certain folk. A lot of anti English feeling is being generated by some misguided individuals.
  • Options
    highking1014highking1014 Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "my better half" that is one seriously odd phrase
  • Options
    thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know. Thought I did yesterday was all happy that I have finally decided but today I have kept switching. ahhhhh!! When will it end?
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    A firm NO, landed back in Edinburgh tonight to find my better half visibly upset because some cancerous retard verbally abused her for being English, so a big thank you to the Yes campaign for making a woman feel like shit in a country she has lived for over ten years.

I hope the retard dies screaming in agony, fear, nastiness and intimidation are the mainstays of the YES campaign. anyway matter in hands of police as I will not see anyone racially abused be it my better half or anyone else.

Disgusting. I fear it's the thin end of the wedge if there's a 'Yes' result though.
  • Options
    highking1014highking1014 Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duffsdad wrote: »
    A No from me after a similar experience. My sister in law was told to f*ck off home by a YES campaigner WHO CAME TO HER DOOR. Shes Canadian by birth and said she was voting NO.

I refuse to vote for a side thats actively encouraging racism. That and their inability to answer a question without using the word scaremongering.

why form a political opinion based on some thugs?
    An englishman told me he was going to smash my head in once for being a Paddy. There are thugs in all sides of the story.
  • Options
    Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's not strange, she is my equal and in most things my better half.
  • Options
    Omniconsumer93Omniconsumer93 Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not really, my dad says that about my mum. Although he also calls her his "little piranha-fish" so maybe not the best example.
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not really. I use it. I don't mean it of course :p

*deregs*
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadly she no longer feels safe so her going to her parents is for the best, We have a neighbour who supports independence and will not speak to us again if its NO but saying that we another who also supports independence who is mortified and disgusted at what happened earlier today.

It's fair to point out that this campaign has nasty individuals on both sides and it's brought out the worst in certain folk. A lot of anti English feeling is being generated by some misguided individuals.
    Sorry to hear it 'Sweaty'.

I've often been touring in Scotland and a few years ago, overnighted at a couples place near Aviemore who had turned their back garden into an area for two or three motorhomes or caravans.

Him and his wife were both from Yorkshire but had moved to Aviemore to retire. I asked about any anti-English feelings and he told me the first thing his neighbours wanted to know was if they were planning to live there, or if it was to be a holiday home. As soon as they told people 'no we are moving to live here', that was good enough.....they were instantly accepted.

He then pointed to the house next to theirs. "See that house...it's owned by a wealthy Scottish guy who bought it for a holiday home.....nobody in the village speaks to him!"
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave3622 wrote: »
    Just voted 'NO' but then remembered I don't live in Scotland. I suspect most other 'NO' voter's on this poll don't either. Sorry but this poll means nothing.

The same could be said of the YES voters, for all I know.

In all honesty, I don't think that a DS poll (or any other poll where the sampled population is self-selecting) ever "means" anything.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    duffsdad wrote: »

This is the problem, for me, with the 'Yes campaign' - they are, on the whole, far too aggressive in my opinion. Not everyone obviously but many of the people who are out on the streets actively campaigning for it are doing a grand job at putting people off.

I was in Glasgow the other day walking by a 'Yes' stand when one them shoved a leaflet in my face. I politely said "No thanks" and was told "Oh well f***ing suit yourself then". After explaining to him that I only declined, not because my mind was set but becauseI had already been given that particular by someone already, was just very dismissive and said "Aye, right then mate, whatever, suit yourself" before quickly moving on to someone else. And I've heard more and more stories from people who have had similar experiences.

Also, I 've deleted a good few people from Facebook over this who are content with posting ignorant anti-English rants such as "All the Orange bastards who are voting No should f***off down south and leave us true Scots alone."
    This mentality just sums up what's wrong with this country.

I am and always will be Scottish (and incidentally, not even an "Orange bastard") and have always been immensely proud of that; I am one of the most patriotic people you could meet - and even if I vote 'No' on Thursday, I will still continue to be so.

Now, I'm not saying that silly incidents like these are what's making me edge towards a 'No' vote but I daresay it would with some people.
    And neither am I saying that similar dirty tactics aren't used by some Better Together campaigners but, personally, I've come across more aggression and disgusting sectarianism from those in the 'Yes' camp.

I understand that some people are extremely passionate about this and know way more than the likes of I do but there is a way to debate properly and preach, if you like, in an appropriate manner so as not to offend anyone. I just find it very sad that some people are allowing our wonderful little country to be torn apart like this and I really fear for what it's going to be like come Thursday when, inevitably, about half of the country aren't going to be happy whichever way the vote swings.
  • Options
    duffsdadduffsdad Posts: 11,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why form a political opinion based on some thugs?
    An englishman told me he was going to smash my head in once for being a Paddy. There are thugs in all sides of the story.

Why form a political opinion? Maybe because they came to her door canvassing that side's position? They were YES representatives. And when she phoned the YES office no apology but a lot of waffle on feelings running high, every vote counting so people are emotional.
  • Options
    R82n8R82n8 Posts: 3,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there a poll about what the rest of Britain feel about this?
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The punishment you recommend far outweighs the crime.
  • Options
    wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a small sample but the results so far seem to reflect what the professional pollsters are reporting that it's a very tight race and perhaps too close to call. The real poll takes place on Thursday and will be one of the most participated democratic processes ever in the UK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    This is the problem, for me, with the 'Yes campaign' - they are, on the whole, far too aggressive in my opinion. Not everyone obviously but many of the people who are out on the streets actively campaigning for it are doing a grand job at putting people off.

I was in Glasgow the other day walking by a 'Yes' stand when one them shoved a leaflet in my face. I politely said "No thanks" and was told "Oh well f***ing suit yourself then". After explaining to him that I only declined, not because my mind was set but becauseI had already been given that particular by someone already, was just very dismissive and said "Aye, right then mate, whatever, suit yourself" before quickly moving on to someone else. And I've heard more and more stories from people who have had similar experiences.

Also, I 've deleted a good few people from Facebook over this who are content with posting ignorant anti-English rants such as "All the Orange bastards who are voting No should f***off down south and leave us true Scots alone."
    This mentality just sums up what's wrong with this country.

I am and always will be Scottish (and incidentally, not even an "Orange bastard") and have always been immensely proud of that; I am one of the most patriotic people you could meet - and even if I vote 'No' on Thursday, I will still continue to be so.

Now, I'm not saying that silly incidents like these are what's making me edge towards a 'No' vote but I daresay it would with some people.
    And neither am I saying that similar dirty tactics aren't used by some Better Together campaigners but, personally, I've come across more aggression and disgusting sectarianism from those in the 'Yes' camp.

I understand that some people are extremely passionate about this and know way more than the likes of I do but there is a way to debate properly and preach, if you like, in an appropriate manner so as not to offend anyone. I just find it very sad that some people are allowing our wonderful little country to be torn apart like this and I really fear for what it's going to be like come Thursday when, inevitably, about half of the country aren't going to be happy whichever way the vote swings.

I think this is a large problem for the Yes campaign - respect to undecideds. I can only speak it how I see it and though I am very sure there is nastiness amongst the No contingent, I personally have only experienced it or seen it from the No sector.

As well as seeing No leafletters [sic] abused in the street and some rather racy heckling, I've been called an idiot, a c*nt, a Tory, a Tory c*nt, a traitor etc etc simply for saying that in all likelihood I was going to vote no. Upon hearing some of these epithets I pointed out that it was an unusual recruiting strategy and seemed unlikely to swing me over to the cause. Oddly, this did not improve matters :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    The punishment you recommend far outweighs the crime.

lol....now that's a quality reply :D
  • Options
    SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Four Yes voters in our house! (including one recently converted no voter) :D
  • Options
    Dave3622Dave3622 Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Yeah you need to learn your geography a bit better before being allowed out to vote! :p

Sorry, I was a bit tipsy (ok, pissed) and thought I would be an ass. However, unless the poll is restricted to Scottish residents only then it's still rather pointless.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would have been interesting to see which way it would go, but you are never going to get a true poll of Scottish voters on this forum.
  • Options
    Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,657
    Forum Member
    It would have been interesting to see which way it would go, but you are never going to get a true poll of Scottish voters on this forum.

Indeed! Anyone can vote in it and I tend to find quite a few people are 'contrary' on internet polls -- i.e. voting for the least popular option (or the one they view as least popular) just because they think it's funny.
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    A few months ago I would have said yes but now it’s no. I have been sickened by the intolerance, intimidation, arrogance and racism being spouted by the yes campaign and I dread to think of what will happen if they win – it’s been made pretty clear that Salmond’s “fairer society” only applies to people who agree with him.
    Yesterday I met someone who has been a staunch SNP supporter all his life and I was expecting a lecture on how I should vote for freedom etc. Then I noticed he wasn’t wearing any SNP badges (normally he’s covered in them) when I asked why he said that he had become disillusioned with what was happening. He wanted nothing to do with the threats and abuse that has become more common. I asked if he would be voting yes and he just shrugged his shoulders.
  • Options
    twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My brother is a Scottish resident (lived there for 8+ years) and he's voted No. I would probably do the same if I was a resident.

Oh shit have I missed the vote I thought it was this thursday :)
  • Options
    roger_purvisroger_purvis Posts: 968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vosne wrote: »
    I think this is a large problem for the Yes campaign - respect to undecideds. I can only speak it how I see it and though I am very sure there is nastiness amongst the No contingent, I personally have only experienced it or seen it from the No sector.

As well as seeing No leafletters [sic] abused in the street and some rather racy heckling, I've been called an idiot, a c*nt, a Tory, a Tory c*nt, a traitor etc etc simply for saying that in all likelihood I was going to vote no. Upon hearing some of these epithets I pointed out that it was an unusual recruiting strategy and seemed unlikely to swing me over to the cause. Oddly, this did not improve matters :D

this probably happens to you all the time no?