Options

Doctor Who: Listen BBC One/HD /09/2014 7.30 pm Official Thread

Comments

• Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Incredible episode, truly outstanding. I was worried mid-way through that there wasn't a satisfying way it could end and then... wow! It floored me, can't wait to watch it again (and again.) May be too soon to say this, before I rewatch and let everything sink in, but for me it's up there with the very best episodes of the revival.
  • Options
    PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jon_Jones wrote: »
    Sorry, but no no no, a thousand times no. Couldn't disagree more.
    Just my opinion, and you of course have the right to feel differently, but the show is now so much more cerebral, so much more layered and introspective than it used to be. No one could ever deny that this week's episode was proper, thoughtful drama. Yes, it's strayed from what made it succesful, but only in that it's scaling greater heights. Episodes like this week should be plentiful, and episodes like last week should never be seen again.

When I say episodes like the one last week, it doesn't mean that I thought it was a great episode. It is just an example of the style of episode which I would like to see more of. My favourite era by far is Matt's but the tone has altered so dramatically this series that I will admit I am struggling a bit; it is the general style of episodes which I can finding difficult. I really enjoyed tonight's episode but I do feel it is the sort of episode which should occur only once or twice a series; otherwise the novelty of straying from the normal path begins to wear off.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Logopolis wrote: »
    Was Clara the villain??

:confused:

Yes, in a roundabout sort of way. It was her fault the Doctor got scared of things under the bed.

Better than last week, I must confess.
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,295
    Forum Member
    Piipp wrote: »
    Simple answer? It's a fixed point. He can't go backwards in that particular timeline and alter anything. Plus, if he did, he would never become the War Doctor, never save Gallifrey, etc.

Exactly. I've always assumed that the Time Lords being wiped out by 'the Moment' wasn't as simple as Gallifrey being destroyed and everyone on it dying as of course there would have been Time Lords elsewhere. It wiped Gallifrey and the time Lords out of existence so every Time Lord everywhere at any time ceased to exist. The Master only survived because he had made himself human by then and the Doctor survived because he was at the eye of the storm I the one who pressed the button.

Him going back to warn people wouldn't make any difference as they'd already broken every rule in the book re changing history, resurrecting the dead to try and defeat the Daleks and nothing had worked.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Im sure absalom thingemy (the comic dalek slayer.) was one of the photofits in the next ep....

Absalom Daak?

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Abslom_Daak
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely and totally agree.

This is why
    1) I love Doctor Who - because you can have an episode like last week's (which I loved) followed by an episode like this week's, which I also loved, but in a different way.
    2) I love Moffat - because although he disappoints me sometimes, he also gives me stuff like this.

I think The Doctor is scary, btw - scarier than the monsters. I love him.

And I know some won't like it, but I'm a sucker for a love story - the Danny and Clara bits were lovely. :)

i Love the Danny and Clara bits. Danny is an asset to the show and already their dynamic is giving this series a bit of heart and soul that was missing recently.

Danny is such a wonderfully odd character. So well played. Moffat has made me so cross at times but when he pulls things like this out of the bag its worth everything.

And yes. I loved last week as well. What other show can do a run of episodes like this? None!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To the people asking what was underneath the bedsheet, it was just one of Danny/Rupert's friends playing a prank on him when they overheard Danny and Clara's conversation.

Or was it...

Did you see it's face?

Just for a moment you could see it....... Horrible thing it was! ;)
  • Options
    PiippPiipp Posts: 2,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This, this a thousand times this.

If people want last week's episode then write to the BBC to revive that Sherwood show or Atlantis or whatever the hell they were called.

I don't want last weeks episode; I'm just saying I would like more episodes in that style; the whole 'monster of the week' type thing.
  • Options
    billykubrickbillykubrick Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am wondering how the toy soldier gets from the Doctor to the children's home. Enjoyed the return to Gallifrey. So that makes another actor to have performed the First Doctor! Well directed and acted as usual.
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,295
    Forum Member
    Considering that's where Hurt was going to use The Moment, he presumably wouldn't be standing on Gallifrey where he would be caught by the Time Lords and would be trapped in the war. He would more likely be on a planet close by. Why he was there with his family as a child though, I have no idea. He was on holiday? His family were too poor to live on Gallifrey and had to live on a nearby farm planet instead? How can there even be time lords when he hasn't helped create them yet? ;-)

The hut with the Moment in it was on Gallifrey - the Time Lords said he'd gone there during The Day of the Doctor.

It is also I assume the same hut where he used to talk to K'Ampo if anybody remembers the childhood story the 3rd Doctor told Jo at one stage.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really enjoyed the episode thought it was very good but did I miss something what was the knocking at the end of the end of universe? What happened to the doctor there? Or do we not know?

We don't know. And it should stay that way.
    The unknown is far more terrifying than anything that could have been shown or explained.
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hit and miss episode for me.

Felt a bit disjointed and left some gaping questions like if it's all just imaginary than what was that thing under the covers and what was Orson afraid of and what opened the door? It didn't explain it very well.

Did really enjoy the scary moments though. 6.5/10 from me
  • Options
    etldlrletldlrl Posts: 6,162
    Forum Member
    If people want last week's episode then write to the BBC to revive that Sherwood show or Atlantis or whatever the hell they were called.

Doctor Who could never have survived if it did the same thing week in and week out. Variations of tone are necessary and reflect the fact that real people don't live their whole lives in a single tone, except maybe some very depressed people and one or two permanently grinning idiots. Both this week's episode, and the last, show the programme is in good health. It can do very different things and make them all work.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am wondering how the toy soldier gets from the Doctor to the children's home. Enjoyed the return to Gallifrey. So that makes another actor to have performed the First Doctor! Well directed and acted as usual.

After it went through the Pink family, Clara took it from Orson in the TARDIS, didn't she? It doesn't need to get back to the children's home :)
  • Options
    CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Superb episode. That was proper drama...there were children in it..but it was in no way childish.

I think I'll watch it again after a bottle of wine..just to spook me even more. Best Who in a long time. Really looking forward to the rest of the series (as I'm largely unspoiled now).

Jenna and Peter are a great team.
  • Options
    BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    I don't want last weeks episode; I'm just saying I would like more episodes in that style; the whole 'monster of the week' type thing.

You had a monster this week! It wasn't some comical Sheriff of Nottingham, it was actually a bit subtle and thought provoking rather than in your face, kids will get it, black and white/good and evil.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed the episode. However two things struck me as I was watching...
    1. The toy soldier without a gun / the bravest of them all - an allegory for the Doctor?
    2. Perhaps a new layer / meaning into the Face of Boe's words - 'You Are Not Alone'?
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Considering that's where Hurt was going to use The Moment, he presumably wouldn't be standing on Gallifrey where he would be caught by the Time Lords and would be trapped in the war. He would more likely be on a planet close by. Why he was there with his family as a child though, I have no idea. He was on holiday? His family were too poor to live on Gallifrey and had to live on a nearby farm planet instead? How can there even be time lords when he hasn't helped create them yet? ;-)

They hinted last week he came from nobility

As whoever the two adults was said the other boys I assumed it was some kind of boarding school or something.
  • Options
    eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sithlord3k wrote: »
    Wait, so Clara created "The Doctor" ?

My interpretation is that the Doctor created the Doctor... She only told the Child what she had learned from his 2000 year old self.
  • Options
    CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,237
    Forum Member
    Bit of a nothing that episode for me.

Trying to be deep but failed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    When I say episodes like the one last week, it doesn't mean that I thought it was a great episode. It is just an example of the style of episode which I would like to see more of. My favourite era by far is Matt's but the tone has altered so dramatically this series that I will admit I am struggling a bit; it is the general style of episodes which I can finding difficult. I really enjoyed tonight's episode but I do feel it is the sort of episode which should occur only once or twice a series; otherwise the novelty of straying from the normal path begins to wear off.

I'm sorry, I was a bit rude wasn't I? It's just my enthusiasm for this episode, and the new direction, bubbling over. For me, this is the best the show has been for many years (possibly ever :o), and exactly what I've always wanted Who to be like. I guess, for some people it must be a bit of a shock, and take a lot of adjusting. Kind of see your point about the novelty wearing off if we had episodees like this frequently. I don't want experiemntal episodes all the time, just that I would like the show to nearly always be creepy, thoughtful, mature and not afraid to take chances. The romps leave me cold, but I could have enjoyed last week's if it had just been a bit less OTT silly.
  • Options
    etldlrletldlrl Posts: 6,162
    Forum Member
    dwiseman wrote: »
    Loved the way they never showed the Doctors face. Can a knowledgable fan tell me -have we EVER seen the Doctor as a child before? l

I don't think so, although we have seen The Master.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was the probably one of the best Doctor who stories I've seen the new show started.

Magnificent.
  • Options
    Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bob_Millen wrote: »
    I really enjoyed the episode. However two things struck me as I was watching...
    1. The toy soldier without a gun / the bravest of them all - an allegory for the Doctor?
    2. Perhaps a new layer / meaning into the Face of Boe's words - 'You Are Not Alone'?
    Surrounded by his friends who do have guns
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adam Law wrote: »
    Bit worrying CultBox only gave it 3/5 on their spoiler free review.

...and then 5/5 on their final review.

No, me neither :D

http://www.cultbox.co.uk/reviews/episodes/doctor-who-s08e04-listen-review