Options

Scottish independence: let's have an honest debate (P3)

Comments

• Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's how elections work in North Korea:
    Voting is mandatory
    There's only one candidate on the ballot paper
    You can vote against the candidate with a red pen in the voting booth- but you're watched over and if you so much as glance at the pen, you'll be punished (i.e. you and your whole family will be sent off to labour camps).

I beleive this is the system Wee Eck is planning for an independent Scotland :D
  • Options
    saywhatyouseesaywhatyousee Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bhoy07 wrote: »
    Celtic Park will not be renamed - it will become the Switzerland of Scotland.

They can take Efe Ambrose, surely....? Please....:p
  • Options
    bhoy07bhoy07 Posts: 25,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BfS women yesterday on Radio 4 was discussing folk talking about boycotts of supermarkets/banks - only for Jim Murphy to ask - where would they go instead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They can take Efe Ambrose, surely....? Please....:p

Racist! :D
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,396
    Forum Member
    Celtic fans will be the most disappointed on Thursday when the result comes in and it turns out the people of Scotland have decided not to join Ireland.
  • Options
    delegate zerodelegate zero Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Celtic fans will be the most disappointed on Thursday when the result comes in and it turns out the people of Scotland have decided not to join Ireland.

This referendum has gone a long way to breaking down the Celtic/Rangers divide. Aye, Celtic are a wee bit more independence minded and Rangers fans a wee bit more unionist, but it's nowhere near to being an automatic Celtic=Yes,Rangers=No.
    Fans of both sides have been campaigning together, a bond that has proved hard to forge in the past
  • Options
    Forum Member
    This referendum has gone a long way to breaking down the Celtic/Rangers divide. Aye, Celtic are a wee bit more independence minded and Rangers fans a wee bit more unionist, but it's nowhere near to being an automatic Celtic=Yes,Rangers=No

Both sets of fans make me laugh. Celtic, a club located in Scotland, in love with Ireland, and Rangers, proud loyalists to HM the Queen, but not so loyal to her Revenue and Customs.
  • Options
    thmsthms Posts: 61,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You mean that if it was something detrimental to the rest of the UK you'd be gloating about it.

Despite getting your independent dream you'd still want to punish the remaining UK somehow, while at the same time enforcing a CU on them.

I quite often think that you Nats needs to mature a wee bit more.

i'm not the person you think I am..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After watching Reporting Scotland tonight - I understand why Yes campaigners feel it's biased against them.

They had a report about former Tory donor John McGlynn voting yes and failed to mention this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-24067411

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/10305935/Alex-Salmond-urged-to-explain-790000-property-deal-loss.html
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the best thing the YES camp can do now is screw the polls and don't get dragged into long debates on TV about them. Its counter productive its giving the TV reporters easy story polls + what business next is going to say voting yes is wrong.

God help labour next year the tories must have some powerful suits in the background because the level of support being given anything government at the moment seems off the scale.

surely right now is the perfect chance to ask all these big companies if they feel this way about Scotland why aren't they being more vocal about a possible EU exit? its relevant because if Scotland leaving the UK would cause all this what the hell would the UK leaving the EU do?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I assume you're joking
    oathy wrote: »
    the best thing the YES camp can do now is screw the polls and don't get dragged into long debates on TV about them. Its counter productive its giving the TV reporters easy story polls + what business next is going to say voting yes is wrong.

God help labour next year the tories must have some powerful suits in the background because the level of support being given anything government at the moment seems off the scale.

surely right now is the perfect chance to ask all these big companies if they feel this way about Scotland why aren't they being more vocal about a possible EU exit? its relevant because if Scotland leaving the UK would cause all this what the hell would the UK leaving the EU do?

So in effect - the Yes campaign should continue not to answer any questions.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Scotland leaving the UK would leave those companies in a tinpot country without a strong currency. Even a UK outside the EU would be preferable. England is the driving force. That's what companies are attracted to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sunday Herald revealing the emails that caused the RBS link - I assume this has been leaked to them and therefore the yes campaign will be demanding an investigation into this leak.
  • Options
    saywhatyouseesaywhatyousee Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After watching Reporting Scotland tonight - I understand why Yes campaigners feel it's biased against them.

They had a report about former Tory donor John McGlynn voting yes and failed to mention this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-24067411

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/10305935/Alex-Salmond-urged-to-explain-790000-property-deal-loss.html

Jeez, that all looks mighty dodgy....:(

Let's see what tomorrow brings..
  • Options
    ZaphodskiZaphodski Posts: 4,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zaphodski wrote: »
    A friend also mentioned about insuring your car for driving 'abroad'!

If the Scots vote Yes and you were planning on driving up North in the near future, probably best to check with your insurance company first... :o
  • Options
    thmsthms Posts: 61,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

no need to wait..

http://news.stv.tv/west-central/239305-salmond-faces-questions-over-sale-of-glasgow-airport-rail-link-land/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume you're joking

So in effect - the Yes campaign should continue not to answer any questions.

I think it would help the Quality of the debate if they are asked better Questions
    since all these big names started coming out that's all the interviews seem to be is getting the YES camp to comment on that.

I've not seen one interviewer say something positive about the people wanting to vote yes and if the polls are correct that's roughly half of the Scottish voters. 1 tory MP yet they endure all those policies its a complete joke. we've had the uber smug IDS thinking the bedroom tax was an amazing idea its lead to even people committing suicide and they wonder why people are fedup of a government they didn't want imposing the most cruel policies on areas that sometimes have no other houses
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad news about the Scottish hostage being killed - as a result it seems most papers will be changing it's front pages.

IS now threatening to kill another British hostage.
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    we've had the uber smug IDS thinking the bedroom tax was an amazing idea its lead to even people committing suicide and they wonder why people are fedup of a government they didn't want imposing the most cruel policies on areas that sometimes have no other houses

Loads of English folk hate the bedroom tax too, and a coalition of Labour and the LibDems voted for changes to the system to make it better for people with disabilities, and who have nowhere to move to. Sadly, only two SNP MPs bothered to vote, because they prioritise talking about making the country fairer over actually making it fairer. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    Loads of English folk hate the bedroom tax too, and a coalition of Labour and the LibDems voted for changes to the system to make it better for people with disabilities, and who have nowhere to move to. Sadly, only two SNP MPs bothered to vote, because they prioritise talking about making the country fairer over actually making it fairer. ;-)

Its just a shame the libdems agreed with this policy in the first place because its been nothing but trouble. the Policy has no place for any person its not freed up some huge amount of houses its just caused total misery for all those affected.
  • Options
    HammyHammy Posts: 4,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nothing dodgy about it at all in relation too Salmond, neither he nor SNP were involved in the initial agreement to buy land.

The GARL was a Lab / LIB Dem project before SNP came to power.
    In 2006 the Strathclyde Partnership for Transport (chaired by Labour councillor Alistair McLean, who later resigned from SPT amid an expenses scandal) agreed to buy the land for the project at £840,000.
    When SNP came too power they inherited the deal and completed the purchase.
    In 2009 due too budgetary constraints project was cancelled.
    Due to UK Government rules the SG were forced too sell the land, nobody bought land at auction, McGlynn offered the reserved price and bought land.
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its just a shame the libdems agreed with this policy in the first place because its been nothing but trouble. the Policy has no place for any person its not freed up some huge amount of houses its just caused total misery for all those affected.

I agree, it's been a dreadful policy, especially the way it has been implemented, but it's hypocrisy for the SNP to criticise the policy, but not make their MPs vote against it.

And it should be noted that the LibDem MP who led the revision has been against the policy from the start.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    I agree, it's been a dreadful policy, especially the way it has been implemented, but it's hypocrisy for the SNP to criticise the policy, but not make their MPs vote against it.

And it should be noted that the LibDem MP who led the revision has been against the policy from the start.

I notice IDS is back in stealth mode since that shock poll finally woke Westminster up.
    Normally they love dragging him on a sunday show saying how amazing he's been and how tough the government love being.

I really do think they have vastly underestimated how many people will vote YES who normally would never vote even in a General election. The promise of no more tory policies does seem to be helping them a lot
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I notice IDS is back in stealth mode since that shock poll finally woke Westminster up.
    Normally they love dragging him on a sunday show saying how amazing he's been and how tough the government love being.

I really do think they have vastly underestimated how many people will vote YES who normally would never vote even in a General election. The promise of no more tory policies does seem to be helping them a lot

Like tax cuts for big business
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Over the last several days I keep seeing a copy-and-paste job from the Yessers called "50 questions the No campaign need to answer". Quite ironic really from a campaign which refuses to answer any questions itself!