Options

What do the People of the United Kingdom want with a Scottish exit?

zexstreamzexstream Posts: 6,279
Forum Member
Just been watching the Andrew Marr show on BBC one and I noticed a triumphant Alex Salmond already basking in Glory and dictating what he expects to achieve in the 18 months before separation from the United Kingdom for Scotland. Of the many things he expects is for the Bank of England to act as bank for the UK and Scotland.

This got me thinking, if next Week Scotland votes for independence they will no longer be British Citizens and members of the United Kingdom, in effect they will be a foreign country to the rest of us.

As the remaining citizens of the United Kingdom what DO WE want from a independent Scotland?

Do you want to see a border put in place?
Do you want the Scottish to share our Bank of England and pound?
Do you want the Scottish to have any decision making powers when it comes to the bank of England?
Do you want the Queen to become Queen of Scotland?

In short, with an independent Scotland what do the people of the United Kingdom expect and want?

Comments

• Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    " I noticed a triumphant Alex Salmond already basking in Glory "

that will be your opinion of course ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    contrarian wrote: »
    " I noticed a triumphant Alex Salmond already basking in Glory "

that will be your opinion of course ;-)

Well Mr Salmond was talking about a Yes win and how he was already getting people on board for the "Team Scotland" preparations for the 18 month consultation before separation.

As a British Citizen myself I see no reason why the United Kingdom should negotiate with a foreign country (Should Scotland vote to go) when it comes to us sharing anything!

If Scotland wants to leave fine, but why should the people of the UK have to support Scotland leaving and existing afterwards?
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zexstream wrote: »
    As a British Citizen myself I see no reason why the United Kingdom should negotiate with a foreign country (Should Scotland vote to go) when it comes to us sharing anything!

They'll still be one of our closest allies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    They'll still be one of our closest allies.

So?

Scotland will be a foreign country, instead of working in the United Kingdom they will be competing with the UK for Jobs and economic growth.
  • Options
    DisnaeDisnae Posts: 9,479
    Forum Member
    If Scotland still wanted the Queen after independence she would have to call herself Queen Elizabeth 1 of Scotland surely? It's always buggd me that she called herself Queen Elizabeth 2 of the Uk when Scotland had never actually had a QE1 prior to the union of the crowns . Queen Elizabeth 1 was an English Queen (responsible for chopping off Mary Queen of Scots head!:o)
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The situation is spelt out clearly in polls today of rest of UK. 70% want Scotland to remain part of Union but if they choose to go alone then they do just that. Salmond believes that he can negotiate but the UK population are not going to support their politicians giving anything to Scotland. Why would they?
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd be happy if they took the Royal family back, as the Germans don't want them.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't there already a million threads about Scotland.?:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    valkay wrote: »

This thread is about the People of the United Kingdom, what the people of the UK want with Scotland becoming a foreign country.

As stated in my OP, Salmond appears to think its going to be a YES vote and is already claiming he has agreements that dictate to the UK people that we should share certain things with a Independent Scotland.
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    The situation is spelt out clearly in polls today of rest of UK. 70% want Scotland to remain part of Union but if they choose to go alone then they do just that. Salmond believes that he can negotiate but the UK population are not going to support their politicians giving anything to Scotland. Why would they?

Salmond wants to have his cake and eat it.
  • Options
    KJ44KJ44 Posts: 38,093
    Forum Member
    valkay wrote: »

5 people per thread. :D

How the hell politicians can give away so much to a nation half the size of London is staggering; what about the rest of us?
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Do you want to see a border put in place?

No, I wouldn't. I like driving up to Scotland and that wouldn't change.
    It all hangs on whether a Scottish Government would want to join the EU. If it does, then Schengen is a requirement (since 1999, so it wouldn't be allowed an opt-out like the UK and Ireland). And with current UK policy, we would require the same controls as with other Schengen states - i.e. passport and customs controls. Not because we don't trust Scotland, but because we couldn't guarantee who is *in* Scotland at any time.
    Do you want the Scottish to share our Bank of England and pound?
    It wouldn't bother me, but I think from the Scottish perspective, it would be inadvisable. It would be better for Scotland to have their own currency, which their central bank can control (unless they want to go on the Gold Standard and avoid fiat currencies!).
    Do you want the Scottish to have any decision making powers when it comes to the bank of England?
    Again, it doesn't make sense to do that. Scotland will be setting its own business rates, income tax rates etc. and those are things which need balancing with interest rates to control inflation. They should be free to control their own economy and that means controlling their own currency.
    Do you want the Queen to become Queen of Scotland?
    I don't really care one way or the other.
  • Options
    R82n8R82n8 Posts: 3,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always thought that if the shit hit the fan we all stood together as Great Britain.
    On Thursday we will see.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,592
    Forum Member
    KJ44 wrote: »
    5 people per thread. :D

How the hell politicians can give away so much to a nation half the size of London is staggering; what about the rest of us?

Who says they're giving away anything?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    R82n8 wrote: »
    I always thought that if the shit hit the fan we all stood together as Great Britain.
    On Thursday we will see.

Funny you say that,

the other night I caught some debate in Scotland that had George Galloway on, they were talking in a venue full of schoolchildren.

George made a similar point, that when faced with Nazism Britain stood alone and managed together to fight it off, He was booed.

He then suggested to those booing, that they should go and speak to their grandparents.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jjwales wrote: »
    Who says they're giving away anything?

Alex Salmond,

According to him, Agreements are already in place.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Do you want to see a border put in place??

People of Scotland would never for vote for that, its unneccessary
  • Options
    Forum Member

But the People of the United Kingdom may want a border, especially if Scotland isn't part of the EU the UK may have to enforce a border.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,592
    Forum Member

The question was whether people in the rUK would want border controls!
  • Options
    PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It will be a legal requirement if Scotland joins the EU - there's no way around that.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

At the end of the day, we all know that what Scotland wants, Scotland gets. Sod the rest of the UK.

I would like Scotland to remain in the UK. The UK works well as it currently is. I see no reason to change that. I am perfectly happy however, for all 4 nations to have various concessions that suit each nation on an individual basis. But, if Scotland decide to leave then it's THEIR decision and as such I see no reason why they should get anything from the country they decided wasn't good enough to be part of. I do not want a currency union and I would like border controls because as an independent foreign country you get anyone entering the UK via Scotland if Border Controls didn't exist. That also would work in Scotland's favour too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Should all existing Scots in the UK require a Visa to remain the UK?

As members of the EU surely the UK would be required to enforce visa controls on Scots living in the UK.
  • Options
    afcbfanafcbfan Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member

Alex Salmond wants a million more immigrants in Scotland, so yes; tight border controls, please.
  • Options
    highking1014highking1014 Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    At the end of the day, we all know that what Scotland wants, Scotland gets. Sod the rest of the UK.

I would like Scotland to remain in the UK. The UK works well as it currently is. I see no reason to change that. I am perfectly happy however, for all 4 nations to have various concessions that suit each nation on an individual basis. But, if Scotland decide to leave then it's THEIR decision and as such I see no reason why they should get anything from the country they decided wasn't good enough to be part of. I do not want a currency union and I would like border controls because as an independent foreign country you get anyone entering the UK via Scotland if Border Controls didn't exist. That also would work in Scotland's favour too.

The UK was built on the idea of 'what england wants england gets'
    why don't we all just build a kingdom and leave the english out of it, that would be great
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »

Having been born and lived here since 1967 I find that very insulting that we get what we want!!! You obviously never witnessed Scotland during the Thatcher era. >:(