Options

Doctor Who: Listen BBC One/HD /09/2014 7.30 pm Official Thread

Comments

• Options
    billykubrickbillykubrick Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hestia wrote: »
    The Academy was first mentioned, I think, way back in Jon Pertwee's era when the Master reminded him they were at the Academy together!

Nice Troughton reference as well with the Doctor sitting on top of the Tardis.

Could you say what the Troughton reference was please? (Was it a story or a publicity shot? As I am writing I am visualising a publicity shot, but my memory might be making things up) It is these kind of details I like from this site!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We've changed the wording to be more consistent with the other polls. Sorry for the delay everyone!

(For future reference, you can add your own polls to threads by clicking 'Thread Options > Add a poll to this thread if you have been a member for more than 3 months and have over 100 posts)

Thanks for replying. I suppose voters who aren't too partial to an episode know what they are doing!
  • Options
    Brass Drag0nBrass Drag0n Posts: 5,046
    Forum Member
    Er.... so the Doctor is obsessed with discovering whether there is a race perfect at hiding... and then he avoids and turns down every actual chance to prove one way or the other.

Also, Gallifrey is either time locked or hidden away in a pocket dimension so how did Clara end up in its distant past?

I did enjoy last nights episode, but I can't feel that it was all style and no substance.
  • Options
    Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liked Clara helping the young doctor at the end. Refrencing the barn where he returned as WD when he tried to end the time war. Made me think of what FDR said "The only thing we have to fear is fear it'sself ". If it carries on like this will be a good series. As for Clara it looks like the future is bright and Pink!. Please say she gets a happy ending. If something tragic happens to Danny and she is left alone and pregnant I will be upset. If Orson is going to be their future grandson they should both meet him.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a kid in a mask.

I guess that's very likely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Academy was first mentioned, I think, way back in Jon Pertwee's era when the Master reminded him they were at the Academy together!

Ah ok might not have seen the classic story you are referring to, I haven't been able to see them all yet (and I'm not just talking about the missing ones there).
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    I really enjoyed this episode while I was watching it. It really held my attention. But I think the resolution was a little weak and so, afterwards, it left me feeling a little dissatisfied. That said, I still voted excellent.

I guess the telepathic circuits took the TARDIS down the Doctor's timeline (and Clara is linked to the Doctor's timeline) and that's how it ended up in the barn. That said, I must agree with Brass Drag0n - it did contradict everything that's been said about Gallifrey.

Or is it that now Gallifrey has been saved (and so does exist in the present day again, albeit lost) it's past is no longer time-locked?
  • Options
    HestiaHestia Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    lotrjw wrote: »
    Ah ok might not have seen the classic story you are referring to, I haven't been able to see them all yet (and I'm not just talking about the missing ones there).

And even when you do, you forget which was which from time to time (see below!). I expect someone else will come on here and remind us. It was when the Master first showed up and the Doctor didn't know who he was. Anyhow, I seem to remember that even then the implication was that the Doctor was a bit of a 'scrape through' whilst the Master was the 'A' student.

Billykubrik: the Troughton reference was like a bit from The Mind Robber (?). I'd have to watch it again for the exact moment and description, but Mr Hestia also said "oh, that's like Patrick Trougton".
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Are you sure about this? I don't recall any story with Troughton sitting on top of his TARDIS and certainly don't recall it from any telesnaps etc.

Anyway, back to the episode and this Series is gradually improving as it goes along. Again, best episode of the series(so far) and Capaldi's Doctor I feel really came alive in this one as well, right from the opening moments where he's talking to himself(and whoever???!!!) in the TARDIS.

The previous few weeks I've felt he's been good but not quite 'there.' but last night he seemed more energetic and invigorated than he has been thus so far.

This is also the first episode since Moffat took over that was of a slower pace and interesting as well. (A fast pace wouldn't have suited this episode) Previous episodes with this sort of extremely slow pace(Vincent and the Doctor, ganger story, Vampires Of Venice) have bored the hell out of me and I have labelled them a snorefest. Not this one though. For once, it was interesting, coherent and above all, the scenes in the future were extremely atmospheric.

I have read the theories about who the young boy Clara was talking too; not sure for the reasons given in the other thread that is who they said it was, but it's not specifically stated, but implied that it was The Doctor so I think it would be a nice twist if he turned out to be someone else.

The only complaint I have about the episode(come on, gotta have one!) is that, like the Dalek episode two weeks ago, the pre-credits sequence builds up the tension to lead into the story but then after the credits it just stops to incorporate the Clara/Danny storyline and the main business of the episode is put aside for a five minutes or so. Moffat has done this with Cliffhangers before, where he builds up the tension at the end of one episode then moves the story elsewhere right at the beginning of the next episode. Wish he'd stop doing that! :o

Overall, though, one of the better episodes in recent years, I feel this series is heading somewhere good with all the various themes going on. I just hope that one good episode now follows another as that has been a major problem for me so far during Moffat's time in charge. The good episodes rarely run back to back imo.

:)
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would certainly recommend a rewatch to all - whether you liked Listen or not.

So many scenes with little or no music... :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    I really enjoyed this episode while I was watching it. It really held my attention. But I think the resolution was a little weak and so, afterwards, it left me feeling a little dissatisfied. That said, I still voted excellent.

I guess the telepathic circuits took the TARDIS down the Doctor's timeline (and Clara is linked to the Doctor's timeline) and that's how it ended up in the barn. That said, I must agree with Brass Drag0n - it did contradict everything that's been said about Gallifrey.

Or is it that now Gallifrey has been saved (and so does exist in the present day again, albeit lost) it's past is no longer time-locked?

That seems to be the case the Time Lock on Gallifrey's past has gone, there was a thread yesterday not sure where it is now though.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Nobody's safe, especially not at night... in the dark. Anything could get you. You're all the way up here, all alone...."

The Doctor's comforting, reassuring words :D
  • Options
    446.09375446.09375 Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A very enjoyable episode, and I've now accepted PC in the role.

I much prefer it when the Tardis is used in the plot with time travel, rather than just as a transport to a situation at the start of an ep and then not seen again until the end. If the Tardis is just a bus to take the Doctor and Companion to a crisis somewhere, it's just a silly play as far as I'm concerned. It takes time travel to really intrigue me, and that's what the show's real excitement is for me.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Well, that was utter tosh IMO.

The acting was okay but it was, basically, an hour of angsty nonsense.

I did, briefly, wonder if they were going to connect it up to the S4 episode "Midnight" but, instead, they seem determined to lay yet another layer of shite over the top of the whole "Trenzalore" thing.

First time I've ever given an episode a "very poor" rating (IIRC) but, if I'm honest, if I'd been watching something like that, and it wasn't DW, I would have switched channels after about 15 minutes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And even when you do, you forget which was which from time to time (see below!). I expect someone else will come on here and remind us. It was when the Master first showed up and the Doctor didn't know who he was. Anyhow, I seem to remember that even then the implication was that the Doctor was a bit of a 'scrape through' whilst the Master was the 'A' student.

Billykubrik: the Troughton reference was like a bit from The Mind Robber (?). I'd have to watch it again for the exact moment and description, but Mr Hestia also said "oh, that's like Patrick Trougton".

I think I've got that one. Will check it out sometime!
  • Options
    Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voted "Excellent" as "Outstanding" wasn't an option.
  • Options
    amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    Any more crazy theories on the whole Colonel Blue/Colonel Pink matter?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    First "excellent" of Series 8 for me.

The scene in Rupert's bedroom reminded me of certain episodes of Sapphire and Steel. I remember watching those, back in the day, and wishing that Doctor Who could be as atmospheric and scary. :)
  • Options
    AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    The 10/10s are surging in on DS and GB.

Nice treat for episode 4. Keep it up, sheep ;)

Baaaa!!! :)

Am I the only one thinking there's a correlation between Danny's back story and the Doctor's War Doctor story?
  • Options
    ESPIONdansantESPIONdansant Posts: 6,760
    Forum Member
    Bored.

What a waste of Capaldi. I know he could excel in the role but Clara is now the 'strong' one. The 'wise' one. The 'motherly' one. What's Capaldi even FOR? He has less clue than Clara.

I just don't buy it. Lame, I thought.
  • Options
    joe_000joe_000 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really enjoyed this episode. Creepy and atmospheric. One of the better ones since 2010 IMO
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    joe_000 wrote: »
    Really enjoyed this episode. Creepy and atmospheric. One of the better ones since 2010 IMO

I agree, for the first time since 2010 I want to watch it again! for me it's back on track.
  • Options
    Simon_AmblerSimon_Ambler Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    if you had told someone 50 years before tv that there would be a box that you can watch everything on it, no one would have believed you. same with time travel, it may happen in 10 years by accident, it may never happen.
  • Options
    vrooomvrooom Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's my video review for those who might be interested in it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpYQFEjPM9o

The episode had a real "Sapphire & Steel" feel about it.
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that the poor boy whose ankle Clara held was the young Master.

Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Well, that was utter tosh IMO.

The acting was okay but it was, basically, an hour of angsty nonsense.

I did, briefly, wonder if they were going to connect it up to the S4 episode "Midnight" but, instead, they seem determined to lay yet another layer of shite over the top of the whole "Trenzalore" thing.

First time I've ever given an episode a "very poor" rating (IIRC) but, if I'm honest, if I'd been watching something like that, and it wasn't DW, I would have switched channels after about 15 minutes.
    Bored.

What a waste of Capaldi. I know he could excel in the role but Clara is now the 'strong' one. The 'wise' one. The 'motherly' one. What's Capaldi even FOR? He has less clue than Clara.

I just don't buy it. Lame, I thought.

Ditto; I voted poor.