Options

An Open Message to Scotland

Lil_MLil_M Posts: 2,105
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I thought we should create another thread where DS Users can post their open message to the people of Scotland given there is still a few days left from the Crucial Vote on independence.

I will start off:

I do think the coverage of Scottish independence is not impartial and disturbing to say the least. I do feel there is a lot of Anti-Scottish prejudice. To sum up:

- Scotland will not be bankrupt if it voted yes.
- Scotland will do well or be better off as an independent nation
- Scotland will be able to remain in the EU
- Scotland could use the Pound if it chooses to. If we, in, England refused it could have a negative impact on us.
- Big Business will not leave Scotland if it voted yes.
- Scottish politics, Scottish decisions in Scottish hands.
- Nope, it isn't Anti England this and Anti-England that is a deciding factor, it is insulting. There is life beyond England. The Scottish are well informed and educated.

However, if I was a Scottish citizen, I would vote No to independence, are you really prepared to throw away a 300 year union. We share the same culture, society norms, laws, problems etc...

Comments

• Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    my scots ex-pat friends are dismayed at the notion of needing a passport to go home.
  • Options
    AshbourneAshbourne Posts: 3,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my scots ex-pat friends are dismayed at the notion of needing a passport to go home.

I take it that is those in England as the ex-pats in the rest of the World need one now and don't appear too perturbed.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lil_M wrote: »
    I thought we should create another thread where DS Users can post their open message to the people of Scotland given there is still a few days left from the Crucial Vote on independence.

I will start off:

I do think the coverage of Scottish independence is not impartial and disturbing to say the least. I do feel there is a lot of Anti-Scottish prejudice. To sum up:

- Scotland could use the Pound if it chooses to. If we, in, England refused it could have a negative impact on us.
    - Nope, it isn't Anti England this and Anti-England that is a deciding factor, it is insulting. There is life beyond England. The Scottish are well informed and educated.

However, if I was a Scottish citizen, I would vote No to independence, are you really prepared to throw away a 300 year union. We share the same culture, society norms, laws, problems etc...

With great respect to you, unless any Scots live under a stone for the last 6 months all these points have been stated and restated, parsed and analysed to the enth degree, in the press, on TV , on FB and most social media. Ultimately people will vote what they vote . No one has much confidence in the veracity of either side of the debate as it is after all being run by politicians:D
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Ashbourne wrote: »
    I take it that is those in England as the ex-pats in the rest of the World need one now and don't appear too perturbed.

yes sorry, i thought it was obvious given the thread topic.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    No, I doubt it would. There is, however, a huge range of outcomes between "bankrupt" and "wealthy"
    Well, that's the $64,000 question, isn't it? The entire point of the referendum is that people are being asked whether they think this would be the case. Opinion is very much divided.
    An independent Scotland will be able to apply for EU membership certainly. What happens until it is granted membership (I suspect on balance it would prove itself to meet the criteria when operating alone) is unclear at the moment and is subject to a complex set of political pressures. I think there would be a interim negotiation on trade and maintaining alignment to EU regulations but without the central-bank facilities.
    England *cannot* refuse Scotland the right to use Sterling as its defacto currency. It is up to the rUK treasury (and the monetary policy committee) to agree to any currency *union* (that is to share the issuance of sterling and share decision making on production of fiat cash, interest rates, lending criteria etc.). The Scottish economy is different to the rUK economy, and it is unlikely a union would happen with a country with its own tax regime. Which is why, in my mind, it would make better financial sense for Scotland to create its own currency (I'm not sure why the SNP haven't considered this).
    No, again I doubt they would. Where there's people, there's profit. However, don't expect consumer prices in a new country with its own regulatory and tax systems to stay the same. That's a lot of new administration to set up for each company that has operations both in rUK and Scotland. And costs that are geographically-sensitive, and which are currently amortised across UK consumers will suddenly become apparent in Scotland.
    Well, indeed. That's the idea isn't it?
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benjamini wrote: »
    With great respect to you, unless any Scots live under a stone for the last 6 months all these points have been stated and restated, parsed and analysed to the enth degree, in the press, on TV , on FB and most social media. Ultimately people will vote what they vote . No one has much confidence in the veracity of either side of the debate as it is after all being run by politicians:D

I suspect many voters are saying YES now to appease the more aggressive YES Gestapo , but on the day will revert back to being a NO voter.
  • Options
    KarlSomethingKarlSomething Posts: 3,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

History doesn't cease to have happened, just because something different happens later.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    I suspect many voters are saying YES now to appease the more aggressive YES Gestapo , but on the day will revert back to being a NO voter.

I sincerely hope so. Despite all the commentators saying. This has been wonderful opening up discussion all over Scotland etc, I think it has been divisive and bitter and ramped up mainly from the Yes campaigners whipping up bad feeling where they would have been better served discussing the merits of independence rather than telling half the country they are pro English, not team Scotland players etc. o

I cannot wait for it to be over as I'm fair scunnered with it. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member

I will start off:

Could not have said it better myself. This is no an anti English campaign. This is my view and Im sticking to it, I have been both sides of the line and recently found more reasons to say Yes than No. Some people are the other way, but the venom on here towards us has been quite vile. This post is a breath of fresh air
    Thank you

Edit: We will always hold the same culture and views generally and respect both our heritages
  • Options
    Forum Member
    History doesn't cease to have happened, just because something different happens later.

Can I ask you an honest question, although you don't have to answer
    How has independence in Norway worked for you?
  • Options
    Forum Member

The ex pats seem to be perturbed at a lot of things happening just now, makes me wonder why they left :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could not have said it better myself. This is no an anti English campaign. This is my view and Im sticking to it, I have been both sides of the line and recently found more reasons to say Yes than No. Some people are the other way, but the venom on here towards us has been quite vile. This post is a breath of fresh air
    Thank you

Edit: We will always hold the same culture and views generally and respect both our heritages

Your Welcome. touche (edit). I could totally understand why anyone would vote yes, there are pretty reasonable sensible logical arguments. Yes, Scotland could be better off without the union.

I do think it is a shame should Scotland leave.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Wow, a balanced post on here and no lazy stereotypes or crass generalisations. Well done lemoncurd and Lil-M. Any chance of influencing everyone else?
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't say 100% either way, as no one know.

Again, something you can not guarantee, the only thing that is guaranteed is that as an Independent Nation, Scotland's running costs will increase, they always do when you start paying for something by yourself rather than sharing costs.

No it won't. Scotland WILL be out of the EU at first. How long it is before they become an EU member depends on how long it takes them to meet the requirements of doing so.

Scotland can use a Pound, there is nothing stopping them. But they certainly won't be getting a Credit Union.

So the businesses are lying? Businesses will look after their interests first, and if there is the slightest danger of them losing money they will leave Scotland.
    When you are running a company worth a lot of money you need guarantees that your money is safe.
    This does not mean that they will not still do business in Scotland, it just means the most important bits of the company would be in England where they would be safe from any potential downfall of the Scottish Economy.

Until they join the EU, then it stops being in Scotlands hands once again...
    Also, considering many Scots want decisions to be in Scottish hands, why do they want a Credit Union with the UK? This would take many decisions away from them
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You ask YES voters what the advantage will be and in unguarded moments they will admit we will be probably worse off and the future will be uncertain but , and this mantra is oft repeated among the SNP faithful, at least we're not ruled from Westminster.

They really cannot come up with anything better than that, that's really not good enough to casually throw away 300 years of Union.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, a balanced post on here and no lazy stereotypes or crass generalisations. Well done lemoncurd and Lil-M. Any chance of influencing everyone else?

Thanks. Seriously, I was watching Sky News yesterday discussing about a possibility of the Great Depression in Scotland, should it choose independence.

I was like whaaaaaaa :o.

People need to take a step back and consider the facts.

Even if we consider the worst case scenario that the likes of RBS will shut up shop in Scotland, no branches, no accounts no presence of any nature in Scotland, would it hurt RBS more or Scotland more? The truth, is RBS needs Scotland more than Scotland needs RBS. There are plenty of competitors to take up RBS position.

Even RBS isn't going to shut up shop in Scotland. It will change it's registered address and? For all the RBS talk, it won't affect them that much.

When it comes to price of food etc.. I honestly do think Scotland may see higher prices given the economies of scale and lack of a population. That is not to say, that it will not be a great successful economy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks. Seriously, I was watching Sky News yesterday discussing about a possibility of the Great Depression in Scotland, should it choose independence.

I was like whaaaaaaa :o.

People need to take a step back and consider the facts.

Even if we consider the worst case scenario that the likes of RBS will shut up shop in Scotland, no branches, no accounts no presence of any nature in Scotland, would it hurt RBS more or Scotland more? The truth, is RBS needs Scotland more than Scotland needs RBS. There are plenty of competitors to take up RBS position.

Even RBS isn't going to shut up shop in Scotland. It will change it's registered address and? For all the RBS talk, it won't affect them that much.

When it comes to price of food etc.. I honestly do think Scotland may see higher prices given the economies of scale and lack of a population. That is not to say, that it will not be a great successful economy.

Could not have put this better myself
    Everybodys freaking about the thought of "losing" RBS. All that is is moving the plaque from one address to another, I would very much doubt anyone will even notice. They did it with our company and it was a change of address, different head office, nothing more
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You don't need one to go to Ireland. So you won't with Scotland.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everybodys freaking about the thought of "losing" RBS. All that is is moving the plaque from one address to another, I would very much doubt anyone will even notice. They did it with our company and it was a change of address, different head office, nothing more

RBS are only moving their headquarters down to London so that they have a Central Bank. They aren't shutting any Scottish branches. If it all goes tits-up for the banks that move down South, it will be at the expense of the rUK taxpayer, not the Scots.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm an old romantic at heart and an idealist.......and I don't like all this business of drawing lines on maps and saying 'this is us' 'that is you'.....drawing ever decreasing circles around groups of human beings, dividing and ruling, setting one group against another, constantly emphasising 'us and them'......the different, the strange, the foreign, the enemy

I just want us all to get along as equals.......:blush:

So I don't like nationalism ........

I want the population of the world to unite not keep sub-dividing into smaller and smaller groups that the rulers control by fostering hatred of their neighbours and anyone 'foreign' and indoctrinating us into thinking that only they can save us from those bastards over the river........so we'd better do as we're told

People of the world unite !

Say NO to petty nationalism !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have some people freaking out and then you have people like yourself over simplifying it.

The important operations crucial to the Financial stability of the company will move out of Scotland into England, so that the safety of the company is preserved. Of course these companies will still operate a presence in Scotland, but it will only be a skeleton outfit with just enough to allow smooth operation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    You don't need one to go to Ireland. So you won't with Scotland.

That is because Ireland is a member of the EU, Scotland will not be at first, they will only become an EU member if they meet the Criteria required and their application isn't blocked.
  • Options
    humehume Posts: 2,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You always hear the complaints in the Daily Mail Scottish ministers have a say in the running of England but the English don't have a say in the affairs of Scotland.
    The other right wing bugbear is the Labour vote is shored up by Scotland. Independence would put paid to this, yet David Cameron and many right wingers are trying to scare the Scots into voting no.

This isn't about the union as we will still have a union with Wales, it's about all the resources Scotland brings to the table. All the resources we want to deny mean anything to us.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The ex pats seem to be perturbed at a lot of things happening just now, makes me wonder why they left :p

A lot more will leave if they get independence. All those with ambition, a good education, intelligencia, talent, etc will come to London, as they already do and as so many Irish do.
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is because Ireland is a member of the EU, Scotland will not be at first, they will only become an EU member if they meet the Criteria required and their application isn't blocked.

No it isn't. Its because Ireland is in a common travel area with the UK which predates EU entry. Irish and UK citizens are considered equals in each others countries. The same thing can be arranged with.Scotland whether in the EU or not.