Options

The Carry On Films And Carry On Television Series Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    The woman playing Terry Scott's wife was hilarious. I didn't appreciate it when I was younger.

There is a lot of the film I didn't appreciate as a child, they are so much more fun now I am all ( sort of) grown up, I actually GET the innuendo.

SO glad I caught this on telly, I hadn't watched it in decades.
  • Options
    QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The new authorised biography of Joan Sims, Too Happy A Face, by Andrew Ross, will be published in October 2014:

http://fantomfilms.co.uk/books/andrewross_joansimms.htm

Cheers for the heads-up.

I read High Spirits about 14 years ago, but I ended up selling my copy on eBay a few yeas back which I now regret.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    The woman playing Terry Scott's wife was hilarious. I didn't appreciate it when I was younger.

Betty Marsden was well known as a radio star on Round The Horne, which also starred Kenneth Williams.
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    Betty Marsden was well known as a radio star on Round The Horne .

Many times, many many times.

[ don't worry, Round The Horne fans will get it ]
  • Options
    BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Betty Marsden was wonderful. She always said she wanted to die with a gin in her hand and she did!
  • Options
    pontypaulpontypaul Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    Have seen this film "many, many times" in mostly daytime slots and have always been surprised at the opening sequence being shown uncut. Until today, that is. Is it because its the Sabbath? For a change, when making cuts, ITV managed to leave most of the plot comprehensible.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Betty Marsden was wonderful. She always said she wanted to die with a gin in her hand and she did!

Brilliant, I hope the glass was almost empty and she had a good last swig.
  • Options
    casualtyno1fancasualtyno1fan Posts: 2,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOVE the Carry Ons.

Abroad, Don't Lose Your Head, Teacher & Cabby are my favourites, in no particular order. And Joan Sims was my favourite.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    pontypaul wrote: »
    Have seen this film "many, many times" in mostly daytime slots and have always been surprised at the opening sequence being shown uncut. Until today, that is. Is it because its the Sabbath? For a change, when making cuts, ITV managed to leave most of the plot comprehensible.

Oh was a scene cut? I was surprised that the showed Barbs boobies on a Sunday,lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    Oh was a scene cut? I was surprised that the showed Barbs boobies on a Sunday,lol

I don't think that scene would be cut...it's probably the most famous in Carry On. I was referring to the beginning of the film where they visit the cinema. The naturist film they watch is usually shown, even though it shows naked men & women running around. As I said, its usually shown uncut.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Naturist films always got passed the censors because the nudity was non - sexual, they are nudists, they are naked, the clue's in the title.

How sad and pathetic does a bloke have to be to find a bevy of naked ladies playing with a beach ball arousing ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How sad and pathetic does a bloke have to be to find a bevy of naked ladies playing with a beach ball arousing ?[/QUOTE

Hope you're not referring to me! Was merely making the point that it's surprising in these "more enlightened" times that its been cut when it wasn't before...
  • Options
    wuffleswuffles Posts: 45,787
    Forum Member
    I'm struggling to work out which role Anna Karen played in Camping. I didn't recognise her in any of the scenes.
  • Options
    QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wuffles wrote: »
    I'm struggling to work out which role Anna Karen played in Camping. I didn't recognise her in any of the scenes.

I think she was the school girl fighting with Barbara Windsor's character.
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    Quixotic wrote: »

Yes. She's also seen in shot behind Barbara Windsor just before the famous 'fling and in' bra scene.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. She's also seen in shot behind Barbara Windsor just before the famous 'fling and in' bra scene.

Also known as the 'fling and the're out' scene :D
  • Options
    wuffleswuffles Posts: 45,787
    Forum Member
    I honestly didn't recognise her without Olive's bottle-top glasses!:D
  • Options
    peter_sharp1ukpeter_sharp1uk Posts: 1,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carry on don't lose your head is on this Sunday at 11:30 on ITV. Again not sure if this is up scaled or HD.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,568
    Forum Member
    Carry On Loving is on television on Sunday 14th September, 2014

Carry On Loving has just started on ITV 1 - 11.30 am to 1.15 pm.

It can also be seen from 12.30 pm on ITV 1 +1.

It is the twentieth Carry On film and is being shown instead of Carry On Don't Lose Your Head.
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just saw her again for a few seconds towards the end of Carry On Loving getting a jelly-looking dessert thrown down her top/dress by her partner!! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is the twentieth Carry On film and is being shown instead of Carry On Don't Lose Your Head.

Understandable change I guess in light of the tragic news overnight as some would be sure to complain it was insensitive.
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,589
    Forum Member
    Carry On Camping is on ITV3 at 15.55 today.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,568
    Forum Member
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    Carry On Camping is on ITV3 at 15.55 today.

Thank you. I've got it on now.

It is also on ITV 3 +1 from 4.55 pm today except on Freeview where ITV 3 +1 starts at 6 pm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Understandable change I guess in light of the tragic news overnight as some would be sure to complain it was insensitive.

It's a lot more pathetic that someone would actually complain as I very much doubt that the family of the victim give a tinker's cuss what ITV3 show, but I can see why TV channels take such a proactive stance.
  • Options
    KodazKodaz Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Speaking of that...

I've seen Carry on Camping many times before, but when I caught a bit on TV today, it occurred to me that the film would have come across quite differently if the "schoolgirls" hadn't so obviously been grown women in their twenties. :o

"Sid"- played by a guy in his mid-fifties who looked quite a bit older than *that*- peers through a hole in the shower wall to check out a bunch of (I'm assuming) 16-to-18-year-old teenagers and chases after one of them (who also seems quite keen on him)? Yeah, that's legal- well, probably not the first bit, but you know what I mean(!) but regardless of what you think of that, it certainly wouldn't have worked in the risque-but-innocent "Carry On" way if they'd actually looked their age!

I note that Barbara Windsor herself would actually have been (just) past 30 at the time she played the lead "schoolgirl". She does admittedly come across quite a bit younger... but not *that* young.

Anyway, to be fair to the makers of the film, I'm pretty sure they knew this damn well too and the non-literal young-woman "schoolgirls" were more for laughs against Hattie Jacques' and Kenneth Williams' attempts to control them than anything dodgier!