Options

Our Cilla

Derek FayeDerek Faye Posts: 1,081
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Is everyone looking forward to the three part biopic of our Cilla tonight on itv?

I just love our Cilla and her early years are quite interesting. I will admittedly say her voice is no where near how it started out (foghorn springs to mind). But she did sing 'Alfie' & 'Anyone who had a cilla' lovely.

Thought I'd put this in the GD because our Cilla may attract more fans here

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What an optimist you are. :D

Vom.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Was it just me or is it commonly held that her singing deteriorated after the nose job ?

It was that deep nasal tone that was her trademark..........without it she was just one of the dozens who sang the same songs pretty much the same way
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Our chucks great, grew up watching her on telly whilst sat on the couch with my mum and dad. Will probably watch a bit but not sure I'm in for the full three parts though :D
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    I always thought she looked like a rodent of some sort.

Now I think she looks like an old rodent of some sort. Something out of a Beatrix Potter book. Perhaps an elderly relative of Squirrel Nutkin, visiting from Liverpool.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh treat yourself & go all out that's what I say. I've even bought "nibbles"

I love the 60s!
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From what I understand. She was a nasty awld bitch behind the scenes. A complete nightmare to work with....
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hmmm Any opportunity to watch Mark is good.
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Was it just me or is it commonly held that her singing deteriorated after the nose job ?

It was that deep nasal tone that was her trademark..........without it she was just one of the dozens who sang the same songs pretty much the same way

I liked her old stuff but nothing of her newer stuff. Just like Cliff his early stuff was great but then seem to lose it for me.

I loved her "Your my world"
    Cliff lost it when he did Congratulations and started dancing with his thumbs :o I felt very embarrassed for him :blush::D
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From what I understand. She was a nasty awld bitch behind the scenes. A complete nightmare to work with....

Dunno about behind the scenes, but she seems to be airline staff's most hated celebrity. I thought it would surely be a demanding Hollywood type, but no.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Considering its Sheridan Smith & not Cilla doing the singing, its hardly surprising the `Cilla squawk` isn't heard as the OP complains, or don't he know that
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DianaFire wrote: »
    Dunno about behind the scenes, but she seems to be airline staff's most hated celebrity. I thought it would surely be a demanding Hollywood type, but no.

It'd seem more appropriate coming from a Hollywood type. Cilla's hardly set the world on fire.

She was a bit of a thing in britian, in the 60's. But, hardly in the same category as the beetles, or lulu, or shirley bassy.

Since the, what? She's hosted a couple of well-like tv shows for itv. Hardly ground-braking stuff.

Any bitchy celebrity attitude would being entirely unjustified....
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Derek Faye wrote: »
    Is everyone looking forward to the three part biopic of our Cilla tonight on itv?

I just love our Cilla and her early years are quite interesting. I will admittedly say her voice is no where near how it started out (foghorn springs to mind). But she did sing 'Alfie' & 'Anyone who had a cilla' lovely.

It's not her singing in the programme. It's Sheridan Smith who sounds better than the fog horn. Didn't like her in the 60's but my parents did. She was a minor artist who hung onto the shirt tails of the real stars. I have no idea how she got any TV show in the first place but she traded on a false "girl next door" persona.
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    I can't wait for them to do a Jane McDonald one... I have my tissues ready.

To wipe my eyes... for gods sake.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You got that one wrong!

Will not be watching as three hours is too much of my life to give up for that horrible person who treats many contempt.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You got that one wrong!
    Surprise, surprise as they say.

She's not 'my' Cilla but Sheridan Smith is a talented actress and singer who I'm sure will do her justice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mesostim wrote: »
    I can't wait for them to do a Jane McDonald one... I have my tissues ready.

To wipe my eyes... for gods sake.

I love our Jane! "iya".

She's great! I know she's had a lot to contend with over the years and I believe still lives with her mother out of the goodness of her heart which is nice. I think a biopic about Jane could actually give Jane's music career the boost it needs, I loved her album where she sang 'Downtown'.
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    I love our Jane! "iya".

She's great! I know she's had a lot to contend with over the years and I believe still lives with her mother out of the goodness of her heart which is nice. I think a biopic about Jane could actually give Jane's music career the boost it needs, I loved her album where she sang 'Downtown'.

That would be a good time to send your TV off for a service.
  • Options
    BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,628
    Forum Member

Have a look in the Showbiz section of DS There is a long thread all about Cilla You may find it interesting
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I certainly won't be watching. Irritating woman, hideous accent.
  • Options
    Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,074
    Forum Member
    It'd seem more appropriate coming from a Hollywood type. Cilla's hardly set the world on fire.

She was a bit of a thing in britian, in the 60's. But, hardly in the same category as the beetles, or lulu, or shirley bassy.

Since the, what? She's hosted a couple of well-like tv shows for itv. Hardly ground-braking stuff.

Any bitchy celebrity attitude would being entirely unjustified....

She was the biggest selling British female artist in the UK in the 1960s. She hosted her own show on the Beeb from 1968 to 1976 and eventually she became the highest paid female entertainer in the history of British telly. I wish people would do their homework, I really do. Such ignorance.
  • Options
    HystericGlamourHystericGlamour Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the reminder, Derek. I've been looking forward to this.

I remember seeing an interview with her, not so long ago, where she herself basically states she had become a bit of a diva nightmare by the end of the 60s, and she had to rein herself in.
    God knows how awful she must have been if even she thoughts she was bad!!
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elyan wrote: »
    ....................... visiting from Liverpool.

From Liverpool? She may go on ...and on....about how wonderful it is, but she's careful not to live there.

However, I'll watch anything with Sheridan Smith in, so I'll probably watch bits.
  • Options
    Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 9,074
    Forum Member
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    From Liverpool? She may go on ...and on....about how wonderful it is, but she's careful not to live there.

However, I'll watch anything with Sheridan Smith in, so I'll probably watch bits.

Is there some kind of showbiz rule that states that you must, for the rest of your life, live in the place you were born and grew up in?! I mean, Sean Connery doesn't live in Edinburgh but very few give a hoot about that and why would anyone really.
  • Options
    johnythefoxjohnythefox Posts: 1,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have mixed feelings about this show. On the one hand, I do like these Biopic dramas, especially when they feature people that I remember from my youth growing up in the 60's.

I also think Cilla deserves her place in British Pop Music, I know she's proabaly not everyone's favourite, but she did have a decent voice and her choice of material was generally spot on. If you ever get a chance to check out a rare studio outake (I think it's on you tube) of Paul McCartney producing her when she recorded Step Inside Love, I think some people may be surprised at how good her voice is..what have we comparable today? Cheryl Cole??

Anyway, on the other hand, I can't stand the professional scouser routine, or her legendary rudeness. Also, spreading this across three episodes is just a bit OTT, a one-off like the Tommy Cooper one would have sufficed, then this is ITV and they see her as one of their own.