Options

Scots who DON'T vote... Why?

shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
Forum Member
✭✭
This is the most important vote in any of our lifetimes. It could totally change the make up of the UK and separately, Scotland. I can't think of a valid reason why anyone would NOT want to vote. So if you are eligible and don't want vote..... Why?

Comments

• Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    I think it involves putting a cross on a piece of paper and that might be an obstacle for some of them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 491
    Forum Member
    I think it involves putting a cross on a piece of paper and that might be an obstacle for some of them.
    That's extreme atheism.
  • Options
    Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe its people who don't actually care, one way or the other, whether they are part of the UK with England, Wales and Northern Ireland, or whether they become an independent entity. If they really have no preference either way, what would be the point in voting one way or the other?
  • Options
    AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    Whatever view people have on independence I think as much people as possible should vote as it's about what every voter in Scotland wants not what a small percentage of the voters in Scotland want.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would it not be perhaps better to celebrate what will be a massive turnout?

In a world where ill educated twits kill each other at the drop of a hat we are about to showcase a truly great democratic event. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know whether to vote or not mainly because I am undecided about whom I should vote for!
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's extreme atheism.

Baahahahhaaaaaaaaa..........tres bien :D
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How does the OP know how many people will not vote ?
    Can they see into the future perhaps.

Desperate reffa thread, of which there are too many.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know whether to vote or not mainly because I am undecided about whom I should vote for!

Vote yes and at least you can say you not only voted but made a positive statement :)
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Vote no then as you clearly aren't desperate for things to change ;).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's extreme atheism.

:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Centaurion wrote: »
    How does the OP know how many people will not vote ?
    Can they see into the future perhaps.

I'm inclined to believe that some will not vote rather than assume they all will like you.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    shackfan wrote: »
    This is the most important vote in any of our lifetimes. It could totally change the make up of the UK and separately, Scotland. I can't think of a valid reason why anyone would NOT want to vote. So if you are eligible and don't want vote..... Why?

Yeah, but I'm not eligible to vote and I reckon I should be able to if I want to, as I'm a born and bred UK citizen.

After all, Scottish independence will affect the whole of the UK, I fear, although I wish it wouldn't.
  • Options
    MonsterMunch99MonsterMunch99 Posts: 2,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If people don't feel like they can make a decision, or don't care about the outcome, it's better they don't vote than voting for one side or the other just for the sake of it.

Otherwise, they are just diluting the votes of those people who do actually make an informed choice or one they feel passionately about. Obviously, as high a turnout as possible is desirable, but it should be an informed turnout.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If people don't feel like they can make a decision, or don't care about the outcome, it's better they don't vote than voting for one side or the other just for the sake of it.

Otherwise, they are just diluting the votes of those people who do actually make an informed choice or one they feel passionately about. Obviously, as high a turnout as possible is desirable, but it should be an informed turnout.

Yeah, I tend to think that people who don't care SHOULDN'T vote. The answer to low voter turnouts isn't to encourage people to vote, it's to encourage them to care. Then they'll vote anyway.

But yeah, looks like this one will be a good turnout! Because an awful lot of people DO care!
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    contrarian wrote: »
    Vote yes and at least you can say you not only voted but made a positive statement :)

Lol...bit weak, but you are still making me laugh :D
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »

some people don't fully know or understand the implications of the vote. these people are the residents of scotland who have a right to vote, and those too young to vote

from this, some people have made up their mind to choose one option or the other, and some people haven't, so it comes down to why vote for something you don't understand or believe in

however for anyone undecided there is one simple choice which is to vote "no". unless you clearly want an irreversible change with no going back, which forces a great number of people into changes they don't want to make (which based on polls appears to be approximately half the population of scotland). a vote for "no" is the best overall not just for scotland, but the entire UK. a vote for "no" means life will go on relatively the same as it's doing now, with no-one forced to make changes they don't want to make, with no adverse economic reactions, and in regards to those who want independence, they won't be forced to make any changes they don't want to make either, they will simply see a dream not come true. so a vote for "no" is a win win situation for everyone

so if you are undecided, instead of that vote going to waste, vote "no" unless you are 100% committed to what independence will bring on everyone, including millions of people in scotland, uk and the rest of the world, who simply don't want it, at least not now. that leaves scotland able to choose again in the future, so leaves greater choice than a vote for independence which offers no return

as far as i'm concerned, as this is a vote to split the country up, it should have a vote that requires the majority of the entire population of scotland at least (if the rest of the UK isn't allowed to participate) to vote for separation for it to happen, otherwise that decision is made by a minority. however as that is not the case, and a minority of people could vote to split for good, it's important that everyone who does not specifically and 100% back independence votes against it by voting "no" so the majority aren't forced to make changes as a result of a minority

on the other hand of course, if the vote shows an overwhelming majority of the entire population of scotland has specifically chosen that change, then fair enough. however unfortunately if polls reflect reality, that doesn't seem to be the case at all
  • Options
    renard grisrenard gris Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »

If you think it's bad now, just wait until Thursday/Friday!
  • Options
    MonsterMunch99MonsterMunch99 Posts: 2,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unique wrote: »
    as far as i'm concerned, as this is a vote to split the country up, it should have a vote that requires the majority of the entire population of scotland at least (if the rest of the UK isn't allowed to participate) to vote for separation for it to happen, otherwise that decision is made by a minority. however as that is not the case, and a minority of people could vote to split for good, it's important that everyone who does not specifically and 100% back independence votes against it by voting "no" so the majority aren't forced to make changes as a result of a minority

Everybody has the opportunity to vote. That's the key thing and the reason why a majority turnout is not and should not be required. If people don't vote, then their opinion either way is irrelevant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unique wrote: »
    some people don't fully know or understand the implications of the vote. these people are the residents of scotland who have a right to vote, and those too young to vote

from this, some people have made up their mind to choose one option or the other, and some people haven't, so it comes down to why vote for something you don't understand or believe in

however for anyone undecided there is one simple choice which is to vote "no". unless you clearly want an irreversible change with no going back, which forces a great number of people into changes they don't want to make (which based on polls appears to be approximately half the population of scotland). a vote for "no" is the best overall not just for scotland, but the entire UK. a vote for "no" means life will go on relatively the same as it's doing now, with no-one forced to make changes they don't want to make, with no adverse economic reactions, and in regards to those who want independence, they won't be forced to make any changes they don't want to make either, they will simply see a dream not come true. so a vote for "no" is a win win situation for everyone

so if you are undecided, instead of that vote going to waste, vote "no" unless you are 100% committed to what independence will bring on everyone, including millions of people in scotland, uk and the rest of the world, who simply don't want it, at least not now. that leaves scotland able to choose again in the future, so leaves greater choice than a vote for independence which offers no return

on the other hand of course, if the vote shows an overwhelming majority of the entire population of scotland has specifically chosen that change, then fair enough. however unfortunately if polls reflect reality, that doesn't seem to be the case at all

"Not having a strong opinion either way" doesn't equate to "prefers the status quo".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mind you, the flipside of that is that if I had a vote, I'd vote "yes" just out of curiosity, and I'm not sure that's a good enough reason.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 288
    Forum Member

For anyone undecided this BBC interview from yesterday captures perfectly why you should vote Yes. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmAKnchI3ek
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    For anyone undecided this BBC interview from yesterday captures perfectly why you should vote Yes. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmAKnchI3ek

Just like your user name was a corrupt businessman in Trading Places. So, we should trust you on your word. :p
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember that this isn't a vote for Scots, it is for people in Scotland who are entitled to vote and that includes other British people, those from other EU countries and some Commonwealth citizens. Some of those may not feel that it isn't their business to vote, especially if they are only there for a few years.
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    what time and day will we know by?, will we know by 8am friday morning for example?