OAP tried to get me to partake in street crime today

Comments

• Options
    rufusrainrufusrain Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ramo1234 wrote: »
    What are you talking about? :confused:

I've read the post but I'm struggling to see what's the problem.

You can't see why a older man encouraging a younger man to commit fraud on the street is a problem? I am the one confused!:confused:
  • Options
    cinnamon girlcinnamon girl Posts: 814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I witnessed my Dad giving his trolley - with the pound coin still in it - to another shopper the other week.

Do I need to report him? :cry:
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 40,004
    Forum Member
    rufusrain wrote: »
    You can't see why a older man encouraging a younger man to commit fraud on the street is a problem? I am the one confused!:confused:

It's a bloody parking ticket man, he isn't asking you to sell Big Ben to a tourist or forge a signature to gain access to a billion dollar fortune. It's just a parking ticket.

He was probably just trying to be nice and offer a ticket he no longer needed rather than have you pay what are quite often extortionate prices. Every time I leave a car park that requires a ticket I will give it to somebody on the way out. It's just called a nice act of kindness.
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...on Wednesday you find yourself in a balaclava holding a SWAG bag gearing up to rob the Bank of England.

...and meet Gordon Brown coming the other way with all the gold...
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After parking I headed to ticket machine. A OAP with beigh trousers and a plaid cap said "here son I have an hour left" and tried to give me his parking ticket. I told him that there is a reason you need to enter your number plate it's because it's only applicable to your car and if read the conditions near the machine it clearly states it is an chargeable offense to share tickets.

Not saying it's the worst of crimes but a more impressionable younger person may take such actions as acceptable to partake in other street crimes if an OAP is saying it's ok to do so. I hope this not the effects of world war 2 and a get what you can while you can attitude from an older generation.

When passengers get off the bus and hand their tickets to passengers getting on, they are all shot at the nearest bus stop.. If safe to do so
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is that actually illegal, sharing a ticket. Or just more unenforceable money grabbing tactics by the firms.
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't be silly there is no connection between a sandwich and a street crime.

He might have wanted you to fondle his lunchbox...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member

Hollie has beaten me to it and summed up everything I was going to say:
    It's a bloody parking ticket man, he isn't asking you to sell Big Ben to a tourist or forge a signature to gain access to a billion dollar fortune. It's just a parking ticket.

He was probably just trying to be nice and offer a ticket he no longer needed rather than have you pay what are quite often extortionate prices. Every time I leave a car park that requires a ticket I will give it to somebody on the way out. It's just called a nice act of kindness.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ignorance is not a defence in eyes of the law. That's like saying he was just having a few drinks and laugh with his friends he did not mean to loose control of his car. You see small things can lead on to bigger things with terrible consequences. It's called the domino effect. There are rules and laws for a reason.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ignorance is not a defence in eyes of the law. That's like saying he was just having a few drinks and laugh with his friends he did not mean to loose control of his car. You see small things can lead on to bigger things with terrible consequences. It's called the domino effect. There are rules and laws for a reason.

He offered you a ticket, he didn't hold a gun to your head and force you to put it in your car. All you had to do was so "no thank you" or even better "cheers mate, that's really nice of you" and then take the ticket to make the old fella feel good about himself and buy your own ticket.

But instead you choose to act like the poor fella is Al Capone forcing you into a life of crime. He was just being kind and instead of accepting that graciously, you chose to moan and whine about the guy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    I bet the old man was probably thinking that the OP is an idiot for this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ramo1234 wrote: »
    I bet the old man was probably thinking that the OP is an idiot for this.

I hope he is.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After parking I headed to ticket machine. A OAP with beigh trousers and a plaid cap said "here son I have an hour left" and tried to give me his parking ticket. I told him that there is a reason you need to enter your number plate it's because it's only applicable to your car and if read the conditions near the machine it clearly states it is an chargeable offense to share tickets.

Not saying it's the worst of crimes but a more impressionable younger person may take such actions as acceptable to partake in other street crimes if an OAP is saying it's ok to do so. I hope this not the effects of world war 2 and a get what you can while you can attitude from an older generation.

I would have taken the ticket and thanked the old boy.

By the way, you do realise that a lot of OAP's were actually born after the second world war ended ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He offered you a ticket, he didn't hold a gun to your head and force you to put it in your car. All you had to do was so "no thank you" or even better "cheers mate, that's really nice of you" and then take the ticket to make the old fella feel good about himself and buy your own ticket.

But instead you choose to act like the poor fella is Al Capone forcing you into a life of crime. He was just being kind and instead of accepting that graciously, you chose to moan and whine about the guy.

I am sorry but encouraging someone to commit a crime is still a crime. If anything my actions may have stopped this old man for encouraging others in the future.

Not saying he was not being thoughtful in his eyes but as said ignorance of the law is no excuse.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sorry but encouraging someone to commit a crime is still a crime. If anything my actions may have stopped this old man for encouraging others in the future.

Not saying he was not being thoughtful in his eyes but as said ignorance of the law is no excuse.

You should have reported him to the police - it would have given them some amusement as they laughed you out of the station.
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If you were as shocked at his actions as you're letting on, what did the police say when you reported him?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Can you point out what specific law has been broken?
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hang on! Are you suggesting that this did not actually happen :o:o;-)
    The clue is here
    Quote: "A OAP with beigh trousers and a plaid cap"
    Embellishment.
  • Options
    The FBIThe FBI Posts: 2,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do this all the time in asdas car park. Most people I know do
  • Options
    Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Everyone I know who leaves a carpark with time left on their ticket offers it to other drivers. Same with people getting off the bus with a valid dayrider ticket, they hand it out to the people queuing. It's just being helpful and saving others a bit of money.
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I for one am completely shocked by this - well, I'm shocked by the fact that you have to type in your registration number to get a ticket, you don't have to do that round here.
  • Options
    TerraCanisTerraCanis Posts: 14,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Espresso wrote: »
    If you were as shocked at his actions as you're letting on, what did the police say when you reported him?

They're probably organising a Crimewatch reconstruction. Hope this evil man is caught soon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TerraCanis wrote: »
    They're probably organising a Crimewatch reconstruction. Hope this evil man is caught soon.
    Do you think they'll get the right shade of beige for the trousers, and the correct plaid for his cap? Otherwise some innocent old chap might be hounded by vigilantes :o
  • Options
    marianna01marianna01 Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone I know who leaves a carpark with time left on their ticket offers it to other drivers. Same with people getting off the bus with a valid dayrider ticket, they hand it out to the people queuing. It's just being helpful and saving others a bit of money.

I used to pass on a dayrider ticket - but now I am an OAP and have a bus pass. I never thought that I could be classed as a criminal for recycling a bus ticket! OH has even recycled his parking tickets over the years .... Yikes - we could both be arrested for the most horrendous crimes any time now! :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    marianna01 wrote: »
    [/B]

I used to pass on a dayrider ticket - but now I am an OAP and have a bus pass. I never thought that I could be classed as a criminal for recycling a bus ticket! OH has even recycled his parking tickets over the years .... Yikes - we could both be arrested for the most horrendous crimes any time now! :o
    Keep a low profile Marianna, maybe you'll get away with your past heinous crimes ;)