Options

Quasar - The Album Station

Seagull259Seagull259 Posts: 1,519
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Seems to be a breakaway group from Radio Caroline currently testing on-line.

http://www.quasarradio.uk/index.html

Comments

• Options
    AmaraAmara Posts: 5,376
    Forum Member
    Another Neil Gates station?
  • Options
    MrRayDOMrRayDO Posts: 1,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radio caroline infighting due to this new online station as djs leave caroline to join Quasar
  • Options
    Seagull259Seagull259 Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amara wrote: »
    Another Neil Gates station?

Don't think so!
  • Options
    ErwinErwin Posts: 2,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting station. Sound quality is a bit flat and soulless. Needs some tweaking. Is this station without DJ's?

But this is absolute no 'neil gates' station. This guy only grabs a well known station name and copy and paste a music library and some jingles on a lousy sounding RadioNomy stream...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What are the plans for this new station? Only internet or also DAB in the UK? And who are behind this project?
  • Options
    MikeBrMikeBr Posts: 7,905
    Forum Member
    Erwin wrote: »
    What are the plans for this new station? Only internet or also DAB in the UK? And who are behind this project?

Click about us on the webpage. The presenters will be shown after the testing phase.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Probably to remain just another little internet rock station.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Think so, and you have thousands of them.
  • Options
    CharlieCharlie Posts: 1,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I would rather hear a quality "just another little internet rock station" than the Heart/Smooth cobblers of the "proper"stations.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I miss the posibilty to see what songs are playing. On the AAC+ stream I saw some title info yesterday but it's gone, also not on the website.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MikeBr wrote: »
    Click about us on the webpage. The presenters will be shown after the testing phase.

No names so far I can see there.
  • Options
    Samantha_JamesSamantha_James Posts: 54
    Forum Member

According to their website it won't just be rock and yes it's a tough one trying to build some kind of an audience. A lot of internet stations sound Mickey Mouse. And the American stations I sometimes listen to drive me mad with their loooooong ad breaks.
    They may, as you say be just another little internet station but give them a chance. Word, mouth and social media may help them grow. Little acorns.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two simple rules that anyone designing a radio station's web site needs to follow:

1. Don't use white-on-black
    2. Don't use fluorescent coloured scrolling text

I'll probably give it a listen when I'm in the mood, but that web site is a major turn-off.
  • Options
    LloydChristmasLloydChristmas Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    I was going to start a station called Albumstation a while back. I even had the logos done, and some voiceovers made up. I abandoned the idea though for various reasons, well actually just the one, you can't play albums on the radio.
  • Options
    LaurelandHardyLaurelandHardy Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Two simple rules that anyone designing a radio station's web site needs to follow:

1. Don't use white-on-black
    2. Don't use fluorescent coloured scrolling text.

For visually impaired people like myself, white-on-black is a God send when it comes to websites. I can read Quasar's website perfectly. Whereas, these forums I find very difficult to read.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was going to start a station called Albumstation a while back. I even had the logos done, and some voiceovers made up. I abandoned the idea though for various reasons, well actually just the one, you can't play albums on the radio.

Why not?
  • Options
    LloydChristmasLloydChristmas Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    Why not?

It's in the PRS / PPL regulations, plus Soundexchange and the like in America.

You can't play more than 2 tracks in a row from the same album. Plus no more than 4 tracks from the same artist in a 3 hour period as well.

Luckily I didn't spend too much money or time on the idea.
  • Options
    LeeBoy19LeeBoy19 Posts: 1,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seagull259 wrote: »
    Seems to be a breakaway group from Radio Caroline currently testing on-line.

http://www.quasarradio.uk/index.html
    Hasn't this station/continuous music stream been around for many many months now. I'm sure I had a listen many months back maybe even last year. Did it go away and now return. Maybe I'm just experiencing deja vu but I'm sure it tested long long ago and nothing much happened.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was Quasar AOR, I remember that from 2 or 3 years ago, maybe more.
    I don't think they are connected but you never know. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If this wasn't connected with a radio Caroline fall out nobody would be interested. Why all the fuss its nothing special not even got any presenters.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For visually impaired people like myself, white-on-black is a God send when it comes to websites. I can read Quasar's website perfectly. Whereas, these forums I find very difficult to read.

Fair point. I checked several web sites for established, respected broadcasters and none of them uses white-on-black as their main theme. The BBC, which uses a neutral background with normal black text and bold black text, suggests that you use your computer's accessibility settings to make web sites easier to read. For example my MacBook has the option to invert colours so black-on-white becomes white-on-black - presumably other computers have something similar - which should work fine as long as web sites are correctly designed to make this possible.
  • Options
    LaurelandHardyLaurelandHardy Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Fair point. I checked several web sites for established, respected broadcasters and none of them uses white-on-black as their main theme. The BBC, which uses a neutral background with normal black text and bold black text, suggests that you use your computer's accessibility settings to make web sites easier to read. For example my MacBook has the option to invert colours so black-on-white becomes white-on-black - presumably other computers have something similar - which should work fine as long as web sites are correctly designed to make this possible.

I don't think my Samsung tablet has that option ... or if It does I haven't come across it yet :D I really can't use a desktop PC nowadays and I have to practically put my nose against the screen of this tablet sometimes to be able to read some websites. But Quasar's is perfect. Watch them go and change it now! :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Via Twitter @quasarradio
    programmes begin soon. In the meantime you can hear some of the Quasar team from Friday 19th September at 16:00 (UK)
  • Options
    midlandsfirstmidlandsfirst Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's in the PRS / PPL regulations, plus Soundexchange and the like in America.

You can't play more than 2 tracks in a row from the same album. Plus no more than 4 tracks from the same artist in a 3 hour period as well.

Luckily I didn't spend too much money or time on the idea.

How do Bauer do it then on Planet Rock?

http://www.planetrock.com/on-air/planet-rock-plays-it-in-full/

Also im pretty sure http://thesoundla.com/ (USA) have played complete sides of vinyl albums at weekends in the past
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Still not available on Pure Lounge