Options

Police of Scotland dismiss claims of widespread intimidation

delegate zerodelegate zero Posts: 2,632
Forum Member
✭✭✭
SCOTTISH POLICE FEDERATION
5 Woodside Place, Glasgow, G3 7QF

MEDIA RELEASE

The Scottish Police Federation represents all police officers in the ranks of constable, sergeant, inspector and chief inspector, police cadets and special constables, over 18,500 people, 98% of all police officers in Scotland.

To: News Editor
Date: 17 September 2014
Subject: Independence Referendum

In response to increased press reports and comment implying increased crime and disorder as a consequence of the Independence Referendum Brian Docherty, Chairman of the Scottish Police Federation said;

“The Police Service of Scotland and the men and women who work in it should not be used as a political football at any time and especially so in these last few hours of the referendum campaign.

As I have previously stated the referendum debate has been robust but overwhelmingly good natured.

It was inevitable that the closer we came to the 18th of September passions would increase but that does not justify the exaggerated rhetoric that is being deployed with increased frequency. Any neutral observer could be led to believe Scotland is on the verge of societal disintegration yet nothing could be further from the truth.

Scotland’s citizens are overwhelmingly law abiding and tolerant and it is preposterous to imply that by placing a cross in a box, our citizens will suddenly abandon the personal virtues and values held dear to them all.

At this time it is more important than ever that individuals be they politicians, journalists or whoever should carefully consider their words, maintain level heads and act with respect. Respect is not demonstrated by suggesting a minority of mindless idiots are representative of anything. One of the many joys of this campaign has been how it has awakened political awareness across almost every single section of society. The success enjoyed by the many should not be sullied by the actions of the few.

Police officers must be kept free from the distractions of rhetoric better suited to the playground that the political stump. If crime has been committed it will be investigated and dealt with appropriately but quite simply police officers have better things to do that officiate in spats on social media and respond to baseless speculation of the potential for disorder on and following polling day”

ENDS

Comments

• Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the Scottish Police Federation - ie the Trade Union for Scottish Police Officers. It is not an official state body. Anyone who pretends it is a liar and con-man preying on public ignorance. Naturally, the Nats have been posting and reposting this all over the place.
  • Options
    james_killroyjames_killroy Posts: 1,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a load of crap.

Besides Kay Burley has just been hounded live on Sky news by a group of idiot YES supporters. She called one of them a knob.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a load of crap.

Besides Kay Burley has just been hounded live on Sky news by a group of idiot YES supporters. She called one of them a knob.

why doesnt she go back to hounding grieving relatives.?

An odious woman.
  • Options
    lavender50lavender50 Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is the Scottish Police Federation - ie the Trade Union for Scottish Police Officers. It is not an official state body. Anyone who pretends it is a liar and con-man preying on public ignorance. Naturally, the Nats have been posting and reposting this all over the place.

thanks for the info, i was wondering about that
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

[sarcasm] yeah, a notoriously left wing Trotsky trade union [/end sarcasm]
  • Options
    DaewosDaewos Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    yeah, a notoriously left wing Trotsky trade union :rolleyes:

You got to laugh at some people. Obviously the Police Federation are under the control of Salmond the master manipulator. :D some folks are really embarrassing themselves.;-)
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    This is a load of crap.

The No establishment have tried every other tactic - now we have the London media going on about bullying and intimidation. The Mail has been particularly vitriolic.

The No side is led by the Scottish Labour Party - the irony! They invented thuggish politics.

And someone swore at poor Ed Miliband - boo hoo. He may have to face Putin next year so if he cant handle a heckler....

It's all tit for tat - with a few silly people.

People are enthused and engaged and we may get a massive turnout. So drop the sob stories - we should celebrate this!
  • Options
    DerekPAgainDerekPAgain Posts: 2,708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    why doesnt she go back to hounding grieving relatives.?

An odious woman.

Usual response from SNP drones.......
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They dismiss "widespread intimidation", that doesn't mean intimidation isn't taking place though...
  • Options
    BrawladBrawlad Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member

Does not suit your agenda that the fact is the campaign has been relatively peaceful and calm. You are one of the cheerleaders for civil disturbance . Do you want violence. Are you really that type of person.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    They dismiss "widespread intimidation", that doesn't mean intimidation isn't taking place though...

Has anyone seen any evidence of intimidation as opposed to hearing about it on the media. I haven't seen any from either side.
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone seen any evidence of intimidation as opposed to hearing about it on the media. I haven't seen any from either side.

All that means is it hasn't been reported... Cleveland Police has no evidence of half of the things that happen on the estate where I live, doesn't mean they don't happen...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

remarkable, in these days of people uploading video and pictures of their lives to social media
  • Options
    DotheboyshallDotheboyshall Posts: 40,583
    Forum Member
    Whenever a report comes out saying that crime has gone down many people claim it is because crimes aren't been reported
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Exactly.

This was my favourite line...
    The Police Service of Scotland and the men and women who work in it should not be used as a political football at any time

So sayeth the Scottish Police Federation, who obviously would never stoop so low themselves. Or would they?
    Devolution has shielded the police in Scotland from 'pernicious' reforms that have ripped the heart out of services in England and Wales, according to the Scottish Police Federation.

In a referendum communique in Holyrood Magazine, the federation speaks of its gratitude that policing in Scotland is under Holyrood control, rather than Westminster. This, it says, has led to greater government respect for the police.

The federation tells politicians that pretending Westminster cuts will have little impact in Scotland is simply dishonest.

That press release isn't worth a dime.
  • Options
    james_killroyjames_killroy Posts: 1,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    The No establishment have tried every other tactic - now we have the London media going on about bullying and intimidation. The Mail has been particularly vitriolic.

The No side is led by the Scottish Labour Party - the irony! They invented thuggish politics.

And someone swore at poor Ed Miliband - boo hoo. He may have to face Putin next year so if he cant handle a heckler....

People are enthused and engaged and we may get a massive turnout. So drop the sob stories - we should celebrate this!
    http://www.itv.com/news/2014-09-16/i-have-a-confession-to-make-i-am-not-enjoying-covering-the-scottish-referendum/

So all these people are working on behalf of Westminster then?

Do me a favour. Millions just saw Kay Burley being hounded for being English on Sky news.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »

Prove it isn't happening put on a No T-Shirt like the Sky reporter and walk around a city in Scotland and come back and tells us how you got on.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    http://www.itv.com/news/2014-09-16/i-have-a-confession-to-make-i-am-not-enjoying-covering-the-scottish-referendum/

Do me a favour. Millions just saw Kay Burley being hounded for being English on Sky news.
    Hounded for being English or hounded because she's a crap reporter representing a corrupt media organisation?
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hounded for being English or hounded because she's a crap reporter representing a corrupt media organisation?

Did you read the link from Tom Bradby?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My friends wedding photographer uploaded a video to Facebook of him being abused in Blairgowrie over his No vote, he was also pinned up against the wall. Will see if there is anyway I can post it on here.

I've also seen the texts from my friends brother calling her Tory scum, telling her to **** off down south and how she isn't a true scot. Her friends husband also shouted at her that if he hears her or any other no voter ever singing flower of Scotland he will punch them.

All it's done is make her lie and say she's voting yes just to shut it up.
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Exactly.

This was my favourite line...
    The Police Service of Scotland and the men and women who work in it should not be used as a political football at any time

So sayeth the Scottish Police Federation, who obviously would never stoop so low themselves. Or would they?
    Devolution has shielded the police in Scotland from 'pernicious' reforms that have ripped the heart out of services in England and Wales, according to the Scottish Police Federation.

In a referendum communique in Holyrood Magazine, the federation speaks of its gratitude that policing in Scotland is under Holyrood control, rather than Westminster. This, it says, has led to greater government respect for the police.

The federation tells politicians that pretending Westminster cuts will have little impact in Scotland is simply dishonest.

What a bunch of hypocrites. That press release isn't worth a dime.
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Admittedly I read it in the Guardian...but I doubt they made up the name of the man plead guilty to public order offences at one of Jim Murphy's meetings or that of the magistrate sentenced him to 80 hours community service for his contribution to peaceful and lively debate.
  • Options
    angarrackangarrack Posts: 5,493
    Forum Member
    Politicians who turn up in Scotland only when they think their power is threatened deserve to be heckled.

As for journalists, when did they ever care about anyone else's feelings? They deserve a bit of heckling now and again to prove that two can do it.
  • Options
    DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two days ago they had that McWhirter* (?sp) chap on the news review saying the campaign was one of the best conducted he had ever seen and there was no violence or intimidation. A minute later he was droning on about two YES journalists who had reported intimidation to the police thereby shooting his argument in the foot.

Needless to say this contradiction escaped him.

*This person
    http://iainmacwhirter.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    DotheboyshallDotheboyshall Posts: 40,583
    Forum Member

Obvious in'it - they are English agents pretending to be Yes voters