Options

The Great British Bake Off - Series 5 - Starts 6th August 2014

Comments

• Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really can't call a winner or even the final two. They all seem so closely matched. Gut feeling is either Martha, Chetna or maybe Luis? Rooting for Martha.
  • Options
    vixyvicvixyvic Posts: 13,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never do that - it means I can usually watch and not mind what happens in shows like this (and don't like it when the threads get personal and nasty about people because posters are so blinkered one way or the other).

I usually like everyone to some degree and just concentrate on the bakes! :blush

ETA - I'm not accusing you of being blinkered, by the way!!!
    Makes sense - I like a lot of them and wouldn't mind if any of them won.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Andagha wrote: »
    I had to rewind to see whether she had had it cut or something..and you are right she has it different. Maybe it's a different style or something...but it does look nice :D

Yes it does but it's longer than this weeks show. There must have been a gap between filming this weeks show and next weeks. Unless she's wearing hair extensions. :D
  • Options
    jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really don't have a winner in my head at this point. Chetna is probably the most inventive but Luis' got great presentation. Martha is very technical, Nancy seems to know how to do everything and Richard is so consistent. They all have aspects that you could say 'yeah, that's good enough to make them a winner'.
  • Options
    memmhmemmh Posts: 14,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, Kate's elimination was a shame but not surprising - and she knew it! She was totally expecting it. It just all went wrong for her this week.

From near elimination last week to star baker this... Richard certainly pulled back nicely from the edge of the abyss!

I don't want any of the final six (including Kate) to go. I'll be happy with whichever of them wins.
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That raw dough looks like a right shocker next week. I wonder who's it was?

If you pause on it you can see which three people it doesn't belong too
  • Options
    LudwigVonDrakeLudwigVonDrake Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CBFreak wrote: »
    If you pause on it you can see which three people it doesn't belong too

lol well spotted.

I just hope its not one of those incidents that they preview over and over in the show, so its not a real surprise when it happens.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I honestly thought Kate was gonna win it- she's a good baker & media-friendly (not that I'm saying the other contestants are not!), so I'm quite surprised she's gone.
    And huzzah for Richard- hat trick!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    PS What on earth was Mary wearing this week? :o[/QUOTE]

Apparently, it's an M&S jacket & it's now sold out!!
  • Options
    Caro07Caro07 Posts: 1,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stunty wrote: »
    So Richard and Martha are the only two that put the sugar in last.

Come on Richard!!

I wonder about what Paul meant by "last".

I used to live in France and while I haven't made kouign-amann myself, one of my friends is from Brittany and I've eaten their version. The traditonal recipes I've seen add most of the sugar at the same time as the butter (before the first fold). But I've just looked up my "Larousse gastronomique" and they say add most sugar at the last fold. Both traditional and Larousse add remainder just before cooking.

I would hope that Paul's "last" didn't mean just before cooking but assuming that he meant during the folding stage, I still think he is wrong to criticise those who added the sugar at the 1st folding stage.

This (according to recipes) is the traditional version and therefore cannot be wrong. The Bretons have had their culture supressed (see the other cultures following the Scottish vote) and I think the Parisian "Larousse" version is less correct.

Edit: just found a version in a French cookery magazine where they mix the softened butter and sugar together, I think that is how I would do it.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,943
    Forum Member
    Incidentally the name kouign amann is Celtic (as Brittany is a Celtic country).

It literally means 'butter cake'... which in Welsh would be 'cagen menyn'.

/nerd
  • Options
    seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    We only noticed the sheriff's badge last week on Kate, then realised this week when Chetna was wearing it that it's the Star Baker badge - like the Star of the Week badge they have in some junior schools :D. I don't remember it in any of the previous years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seejay63 wrote: »
    We only noticed the sheriff's badge last week on Kate, then realised this week when Chetna was wearing it that it's the Star Baker badge - like the Star of the Week badge they have in some junior schools :D. I don't remember it in any of the previous years.

I only noticed it last week myself. I wonder if it's just a bit of fun they are having between themselves?!!
  • Options
    OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,535
    Forum Member
    Whilst I think Martha is good, she is starting to show her youth and struggle at times, yet she is often given (via the edit) a much easier time by the judges IMO.
    Treat her like the others please!
    I don't really mind who wins, Chetna seems to have flown under the radar until the last two weeks, maybe it's her?
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PS What on earth was Mary wearing this week? :o

Apparently, it's an M&S jacket & it's now sold out!![/QUOTE]

I know she's worn some things that have become very popular. but that jacket was just awful! :D
    Osusana wrote: »
    Whilst I think Martha is good, she is starting to show her youth and struggle at times, yet she is often given (via the edit) a much easier time by the judges IMO.
    Treat her like the others please!
    I don't really mind who wins, Chetna seems to have flown under the radar until the last two weeks, maybe it's her?

I agree about Martha and there are elements for me of how was Ruby was treated. It just seems they (Paul in particular) are more gentle in their comments to her. Also, it may just be the editing, but sometimes we see one celeb pulled up for something Martha has also done, but it's not mentioned. She chose to be on the show and everybody should be treated the same. I'm not saying the judges are favouring Martha, just that their comments are couched in more gentle terms.
  • Options
    MenoetiusMenoetius Posts: 1,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Incidentally the name kouign amann is Celtic (as Brittany is a Celtic country).

It literally means 'butter cake'... which in Welsh would be 'cagen menyn'.

/nerd

My cousin, a Breton, understands a bit of Welsh due to that Celtic link.
    There's a fresh kouign amann heading up the M6 for me right now in my aunts car.

Never seen them as small as the ones on the show tonight.
    If anyone is interested, I'll post a picture of the real thing tomorrow.
  • Options
    RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's something I tend to notice, but I noticed a blue plaster on Kate's right wrist. It looked in a really bad place, could have been nasty. She was shown wearing a blue glove at some times too. I wonder what that was for? I wonder if she'd hurt a tendon?

It's getting really close now. I like them all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RoseAnne wrote: »
    It's something I tend to notice, but I noticed a blue plaster on Kate's right wrist. It looked in a really bad place, could have been nasty. She was shown wearing a blue glove at some times too. I wonder what that was for? I wonder if she'd hurt a tendon?

It's getting really close now. I like them all.

I noticed the blue plaster too but I think it might just have been for a burn. It's easy to burn that part of the inside of the arm on the oven. Normally you get clear film burn plasters but in catering they have to be blue.
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Luis's eclairs looked the business! I've never thought of customising an eclair...in fact I don't think I've ever seen eclairs that have deviated from the norm at all. And the mature lady's (sorry I can't remember her name) salmon eclairs looked very tasty indeed.

I really want to make eclairs after seeing this!
  • Options
    CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don’t see Martha being treated any differently to any of the other bakers. GBBO is far from being a junior competition and Martha’s progressed equally, without the benefit of any second chance, amongst those more than twice, triple and quadruple her age. Martha doesn’t play the shy schoolgirl with Mary and Paul so gives them no reason to treat her with kid gloves. She’s proving herself week after week to be a very talented and gifted baker. I'd like to see her come first among equals but that's down to Martha and Paul and Mary.
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tonight's show just showed how one week can make a difference with Richard coming so close to going last week.

Luis's éclairs looked extremely tacky but I think that's what he was going for. Next week is going to be a toughy but we'll see how the episode goes.
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My winner, in order of preference:

1. Richard (phew, he's pulled it back)
    2. Chetna (creeping up each week)
    3. Martha (though I think she's really beginning to struggle now)

The bond Martha and Chetna seem to have formed is really sweet with Martha congratulating Chetna on her Kachories, Chetna (and Richard) helping Martha finish her eclairs and then Chetna holding Martha's hand when the elimination was being announced.

Luis and Nancy, whilst I can appreciate some of their bakes, I've not really taken to. No strong dislike or anything, I'm just very indifferent to them (Luis does manage to annoy me sometimes - although Bake Off levels of annoyance are very tame compared to other shows!).

Oh and I like my savoury pastries but an eclair should only ever be coated with chocolate and filled with cream! I didn't fancy any of theirs.
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,943
    Forum Member
    fiagomez wrote: »
    I know she's worn some things that have become very popular. but that jacket was just awful! :D

I agree about Martha and there are elements for me of how was Ruby was treated. It just seems they (Paul in particular) are more gentle in their comments to her. Also, it may just be the editing, but sometimes we see one celeb pulled up for something Martha has also done, but it's not mentioned. She chose to be on the show and everybody should be treated the same. I'm not saying the judges are favouring Martha, just that their comments are couched in more gentle terms.

I agree with that, or at least that a criticism is always followed up with definite praise.
    Paul in particular does treat her differently than he does someone like, say, Nancy.

It's nowhere near like last year's unbearable humouring of Ruby though, which made me want to punch the screen.

I really like all remaining contestants.... and in fact all the contestants from the beginning.
    They all deserve to be there at this stage and I don't really mind who wins now.
  • Options
    Wicked FatherWicked Father Posts: 1,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Kate. Anybody else think she looks just like Lamb Chop?
  • Options
    L_SilverwolfL_Silverwolf Posts: 770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seejay63 wrote: »
    I'd not noticed it before either. :)
    You can see Chetna pinning it on Richard at the end of last night's show.