Options

Have any of you been on Bargain Hunt?

Rosie PrimroseRosie Primrose Posts: 291
Forum Member
I love the programme and just wondered if any of you have appeared on it or know any of the experts, thanks.

Comments

• Options
    MONIFIETHBOYMONIFIETHBOY Posts: 786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, not me.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you so called expert is not scottish then prepare to fail
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am regularly in the audience when it comes from Hansons.
  • Options
    Jim_UlaJim_Ula Posts: 2,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    contrarian wrote: »
    if you so called expert is not scottish then prepare to fail

Maybe this is Alex Salmond's long term plan all along!
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    One of my friends from the past was on there, Australian guy called Mark Tate, he (they) won too!
  • Options
    silly sausagesilly sausage Posts: 1,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to share a flat with Caroline Hawley
  • Options
    CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Admittedly this is rather an essay ….

I’ve never been on Bargain Hunt but whilst we were at an Antiques Fair a couple of years ago we accidentally met two contestants who were taking part. We had no idea Bargain Hunt was being filmed but joined them when we sat down for lunch at the same table. We got into conversation with them and it was only then we noticed the two ladies were wearing identical red fleeces. It was interesting to hear first hand about the show but all I can remember now is they are given vouchers for lunch, they keep the fleeces, it takes time to film segments because the expert had to speak to camera and they didn’t like the third item the expert had chosen, which amused me and it is all filmed in an hour. They told us the date the auction was taking place and asked us to go to fill the room and maybe bid. We didn’t go and unfortunately I can’t recollect having seen the show they took part in.

Even longer ago we'd arrived at a hotel to find Tim had given a talk the evening before. I told the receptionist it was a pity we'd missed it because we would have arrived the night before if we'd known. She told me he was staying at the hotel that evening. I did speak to him, although extremely briefly (I‘m a fan:)). The next morning he was sitting quietly on his own at breakfast when we arrived. When he stood up to leave he wished every one in the room a good morning and enjoyable day. He's just as polite and well-mannered as he is on the show. :)
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    I am regularly in the audience when it comes from Hansons.

Are you Miss Hornblower by any chance ?
  • Options
    bloodynorabloodynora Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love the programme and just wondered if any of you have appeared on it or know any of the experts, thanks.
    Another essay coming up :D

Two friends I made through an Internet Antiques Forum applied to be on the show in 2008, they live in Gibralter and had to fly over for the audition in Bristol, then come back for the bargain hunting at Gloucester docks and again for the Auction which was at Moore, Allan and Innocent in Cirencester. I went to the Auction with another friend from the forum and we met the experts Charles Hanson and Mark Stacey as well as Tim Wonnacott and the Auctioner Philip Allwood who has been a Bargain Hunt expert in the past. They were also filming what turned out to be the first celebrity Bargain Hunt with Julian Clary and his Mum playing against Matthew Cottle and his Mum, their Mums are friends and had applied to go on the show. The Experts and Contestants have a lot of waiting around to film their pieces, as they are not allowed to go into the auction when their opponents are being filmed. Tim was kept very busy all morning filming the Auction segments, but he made time for a chat to us and pose for a photograph before he dashed off to get his lunch. Charles Hanson is a lovely man and he asked if he could sit with us and chatted about his sisters wedding and the Auction where they were selling a pair of Queen Victoria's bloomers!
    At a fair Tim had bought an antique tiepin that was inscribed as having belonged to the Gibralter rowing club, he brought it to the Auction and my friend took it home with her and negotiated a deal with them and Tim sold it back to them. My friend and Matthew Cottle's Mum got on really well and kept in touch after the programme was filmed.
    They still repeat the episode, much to my embarrasment as in one programme the cameraman focused on me and I still get asked if it was me at the Auction! :blush:
  • Options
    Rosie PrimroseRosie Primrose Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    Awe, thanks so much for the replies both long and short ;) I'm really glad to hear that Tim and co are as nice in real life as they appear.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Is it wrong that I have a bit of a crush on Natasha Raskin?
  • Options
    bloodynorabloodynora Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a postscript to my essay, my friend goes to loads of antiques fairs and she kept seeing the same dealer selling some whitefriars glasses, the dealer wanted over a £100 for them and my friend thought they were to expensive, imagine her surprise when she spotted them in the Auction catalogue at the Bargain Hunt Auction in Cirencester and bought them for a fraction of the price she had seen at the fairs, they were one of the Lots that Julian Clary had bought and he lost a lot of money (or rather the BBC's money) on them.....and he wasn't amused!
  • Options
    jtnorthjtnorth Posts: 5,081
    Forum Member
    A friend of mine was on it quite recently and said how lovely everyone was to her and her husband, including Tim. I don't think I should say any more about how she got on, because I don't think it's been shown yet, but she had a great time. She's been on other TV game shows that weren't as friendly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Are you Miss Hornblower by any chance ?

No, but she is regularly there and is also a valuer. I was on todays show though.
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    Yes. I have been on and it was good fun.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

She does a good tiller girl impression.
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was on it in 2005. It was recently repeated on Yesterday.
  • Options
    ahoymeisterahoymeister Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You'll have to get past me first.... It's quite cute how she always blushes when estimating the items with Tim.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No, I met her at Hansons but didn't know who she was. Hansons have a new young girl auctioneer and she is lovely, I hope Charles lets her have a go on Bargain Hunt.:blush:
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Our expert was Nigel Smith, who is no longer on the show. The team we took on had Anita Manning as the expert. Both of them were absolutely wonderful. Anita is just the sweetest of ladies.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Our expert was Nigel Smith, who is no longer on the show. The team we took on had Anita Manning as the expert. Both of them were absolutely wonderful. Anita is just the sweetest of ladies.

Anita is so cute, you can't help but like her.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I met her at Hansons but didn't know who she was. Hansons have a new young girl auctioneer and she is lovely, I hope Charles lets her have a go on Bargain Hunt.:blush:
    There was one called Isobel in the first series of 2014.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was one called Isobel in the first series of 2014.

She's the one, I must have missed that programme, but if Charles let her do more I'm sure she will go far.on t.v.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's the one, I must have missed that programme, but if Charles let her do more I'm sure she will go far.on t.v.
    I think she did about four shows (all at the same auction).