Options

What else is "unusual" about the USA and Americans?

Comments

• Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    valkay wrote: »
    Didn't Jamie Oliver do a t.v programme in America trying to improve school meals and make them more healthy as he did here, but was shouted down and laughed out of town .?:confused:

I use my contactless card all the time, although not all shops have the technology yet , not even Tescos.

i don`t know you?
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i don`t know you?

:confused::confused:
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Aww, we're British. Of course we're fat, loud, stupid and insular! That's what we love about ourselves! Why do you think our most read paper is the Daily Mail?

And we make ourselves understood to the natives, few of whom speak English, by raising our voices.
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    ..............Sport. Is baseball played anywhere in the world other than continental America? ........................

It makes it easier for america to win what it calls the World Series.
    Anachrony wrote: »
    I......................The primary difference is that English is both a nationality and an ethnicity, but the US is only one of those things. ..............
    In the US, less than 1% of the population is Native American. Everyone else came from somewhere else,.....................

One ethnicity? Have you been to England recently? :)

In the UK far less than 1% could be classed as native. It was a small band of Picts in the west of Scotland. Every single other person in the UK is descended from immigrants.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't Jamie Oliver do a t.v programme in America trying to improve school meals and make them more healthy as he did here, but was shouted down and laughed out of town .?:confused:

Indeed he was laughed at. I remember a lot of resistance to Jamie's dinners here as well, with parents bringing fish and chips to their kids in school. At any rate, Michelle Obama has her own campaign to improve school lunches for American students.

I don't know why people here keep laughing at the pizza as a vegetable thing, when the same leeway is given in the UK. http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2014/5/14/1400082008624/Heinz-pasta-shapes-were-n-001.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    :confused::confused:

i said no one i know uses it, you said you do, i don`t know you. nothing to be confused about there that i can see.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Lol, I'm not sure I buy into the idea that Americans didn't know what electric kettles were. I grew up in Canada and we always had one, since the 70's and 80's. If Canadians used them surely the Americans did too. I think someone was 'yank'ing the OP's chain a bit.

Indeed. When I've visited friends in Canada, they've had an electric kettle. (although, bizarrely, theirs didn't actually knock itself of once it was boiling, you had to do it manually).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    :D:D:D:D

what a knobhead. i`m not familiar with it either, i don`t actually know anyone who uses it.

I use the NFC most days, if I'm buying lunch or a few things on the way home from work. Quicker than the C&P.
  • Options
    AnachronyAnachrony Posts: 2,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    In the UK far less than 1% could be classed as native.

And everyone is from Africa if you go back far enough. That's nonsense.

If 1000 years ago was approximately 40 generations ago, then in that generation you had a trillion direct ancestors. Which is of course vastly more than the population of the planet, so there's quite a lot of inbreeding in that family tree.

It is meaningless to talk about family origins going back that far. Every European is literally related to every other European going back that far. But you're generally a lot more closely related to other people in the same geographic vicinity.

In the US, there were huge waves of immigration 100-150 years ago. That's more like 4 to 6 generations. 4 to 6 generations ago you had 16 to 64 direct ancestors. If it was that recent, there's a good chance that you've met relatives who were born while the first generation immigrants were still around. And an even better chance that you've met relatives who can remember growing up in ethnically segregated communities. It's recent enough for there to still be living culture and experience passed down through normal family interactions. Immigration 100 years ago vs. immigration 1000 years ago is not even remotely the same thing.

200, 300 years from now, most Americans will just be Americans, nothing else identifiable, former divisions long forgotten. It's been long enough for that to happen in England, though there are always some newer waves of immigrants that are still distinct. It has not been long enough for that to happen yet for most groups in the US. It's still the norm to be new.

If you want to point out the more recent immigrants in the UK who still have a distinct identity, then it's not me you should be arguing with. I already mentioned that in the post you were responding to. It was another poster I was responding to who suggested that nobody in the UK even knows where their family is from. I would argue that many groups of immigrants in the UK are in fact highly aware of that. People who had a single white great grandparent from another country can choose to just be British, but people whose ancestors all came from South Asia are not likely to forget it any time soon.

There are other groups in the UK, but there is also a generic English ethnicity (and Scottish, Welsh, etc). There is no default, generic American ethnicity. Not yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i don`t know you?

Most random reply of the thread! :D Are you asserting that you don't know valkay or asking if you don't know valkay? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Most random reply of the thread! :D Are you asserting that you don't know valkay or asking if you don't know valkay? :confused:

it`s not random though!! it`s a fact. it`s that annoying rising infection [sic] everyone`s adopted since the birth of the australian soap opera here. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    epicurian wrote: »
    Indeed he was laughed at. I remember a lot of resistance to Jamie's dinners here as well, with parents bringing fish and chips to their kids in school. At any rate, Michelle Obama has her own campaign to improve school lunches for American students.

I don't know why people here keep laughing at the pizza as a vegetable thing, when the same leeway is given in the UK. http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2014/5/14/1400082008624/Heinz-pasta-shapes-were-n-001.jpg

Indeed. Tomato sauce is full of vitamins and antioxidants. However, I'm not sure that either Heinz Peppa Pig pasta shapes (not Haram! :D ) OR pizza really fits into the spirit of what was intended by the "5-a-day" programme, which was to encourage a switch from large portions of simplified carbohydrates, fatty meats, salt and sugars towards portions of whole vegetables and fruit instead.

Unfortunately, people just ended up looking for traces of vegetables in otherwise starchy, sweet, fatty foods and said "having one of my five a day....must be eating healthily!". So, a pizza with onions, sweetcorn, peppers and mushrooms to many people constitutes getting their full 5-a-day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    it`s not random though!! it`s a fact. it`s that annoying rising infection [sic] everyone`s adopted since the birth of the australian soap opera here. :D

I think I get you now.... :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i said no one i know uses it, you said you do, i don`t know you. nothing to be confused about there that i can see.

So because you don't know everybody, nobody uses contactless cards.?:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So because you don't know everybody, nobody uses contactless cards.?:confused:

that isn`t what i said. i said no one I KNOW uses them.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Now I know you know no one who uses them and I know you don't know valkay, but I do know there's no known reason why people don't know how to use them. valkay's in the minority.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Now I know you know no one who uses them and I know you don't know valkay, but I do know there's no known reason why people don't know how to use them. valkay's in the minority.

there`s too many knows and nos and i can`t compute :blush::blush::blush:
  • Options
    LykkieLiLykkieLi Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    I use contactless too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The inference being that because you and your small circle of friends don't use them, nobody does, when infact they are very popular and becoming more common as more shops update their machines.
  • Options
    LykkieLiLykkieLi Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    Not sure what contactless has to do with the Americans.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The inference being that because you and your small circle of friends don't use them, nobody does, when infact they are very popular and becoming more common as more shops update their machines.

i have a large circle of family and friends, as it goes and i wasn`t inferring anything other than there`s no shame in not being familiar with them on a personal level. i suggest you read the words rather than try to read between non-existent lines.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LykkieLi wrote: »
    Not sure what contactless has to do with the Americans.

It comes back to them being prudish.
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    The Credit Card system may not have chip and pin, but I was talking to an American friend of mine about a bar he goes to in LA and he made a major point about it being "Cash Only!". I then read reviews on the bar and nearly everyone made a major issue of it being "Cash Only!". So it does seem that the norm is very much paying for everything on a card, no matter how the card is handled.

I would love to take an American into most of our local pubs in the back streets of deadsville and see the expression of both them and the bar tender trying to pay with plastic. "Errrr ummmmm I think we have a machine that does that somewhere" as they pull out a hand-card-rolling-machine from the 80s and blow the dust off. :D

So whilst we are using cards more and more here and now most places take them, cash is still used for general small shopping and in pubs/bars. In America it would seem the other way around.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Credit Card system may not have chip and pin, but I was talking to an American friend of mine about a bar he goes to in LA and he made a major point about it being "Cash Only!". I then read reviews on the bar and nearly everyone made a major issue of it being "Cash Only!". So it does seem that the norm is very much paying for everything on a card, no matter how the card is handled.

I would love to take an American into most of our local pubs in the back streets of deadsville and see the expression of both them and the bar tender trying to pay with plastic. "Errrr ummmmm I think we have a machine that does that somewhere" as they pull out a hand-card-rolling-machine from the 80s and blow the dust off. :D

So whilst we are using cards more and more here and now most places take them, cash is still used for general small shopping and in pubs/bars. In America it would seem the other way around.

So if everything in America is paid for on plastic, do they tend to use NFC ubiquitously now (I presume so with the big hoo-ha Apple made about it)? Or does it tend to be mostly traditional chip & pin still?
  • Options
    hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    A lot of men over there don't have foreskins. I couldn't believe that parents in the Western world did that to their kids. I don't know what their reason is.
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    So if everything in America is paid for on plastic, do they tend to use NFC ubiquitously now (I presume so with the big hoo-ha Apple made about it)? Or does it tend to be mostly traditional chip & pin still?

I don't really know which method of card payment is the most used, just that they expect to pay by card and see it as unusual to have a place that only takes cash.

And as we all know, just because a big company is trying to push something onto everyone, it doesn't mean it's popular or will be adopted/accepted. (Look at Windows 8 - Microsoft told us how great it was and that they knew better than us of what we wanted. We disagreed!)