Options

The need to drive a car or rely on public transport

brain_higgybrain_higgy Posts: 500
Forum Member
✭✭
I have concluded that i dont need to drive or need to learn as after calculating the costs its far cheaper to rely on public transport than to drive

The cost of learning to drive could go from £500 to £1000
then the cost of taking the test both practical and theory cost around £200-500 in total
then money to pay for the actual license £50 - £100
then cost of buying a car £10,000 to £100,000
the cost of up keep of a car - insurance, maintaining the car, tyre change, engine change, oil checks and all over the car could add up to thousands

its very expensive more than half a million pounds just to keep a car then dont forget petrol surging petrol prices not cheap

so the forgone conclusion make sense that its better and cheaper to rely on public transport or better yet cycle to places etc

what do u think

Comments

• Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 118,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    the cost of up keep of a car - insurance, maintaining the car, tyre change, engine change, oil checks and all over the car could add up to thousands

You don't need to change the engine on a car. Especially not if you are starting off at £10,000 and upwards. :) I should hope not anyway!
  • Options
    RiDsTeRRiDsTeR Posts: 12,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you live somewhere like London transport links are great. Most of the time reliable so I don't think I need a car atm. But I guess it is different and will depend on things like location.
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes it is just far simpler and more economical to commute via a car. For example on Thursday I had to get 3 buses to get where I needed to be, if I had a car it would have been so much easier.
  • Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,976
    Forum Member
    I think you're just plucking random numbers out of the air and barely managing to put them together into something resembling a sentence.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, if you live within 5 miles of where you work, other than a disability or having to drive as part of your job, there's no real excuse to not be cycling or walking.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah. it costs £500,000 to keep a car.
    This is why the roads are empty save for a few chauffeur driven cars and the odd 'super' car.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes it is just far simpler and more economical to commute via a car. For example on Thursday I had to get 3 buses to get where I needed to be, if I had a car it would have been so much easier.
    Did you have a puncture?
  • Options
    rhynoGBrhynoGB Posts: 4,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It cost me just over £1000 4 years ago to pass my driving test. I've had 2 cars worth around a total of £4000.

I would be lost without my car. It isn't really that expensive once the initial cost is out of the way. i hate public transport. I made a decision to drive or not to drive. I'm glad I learnt.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    I have two cars. I never realised it was costing me a million pounds. Perhaps I can get trains, buses and taxis and spend 2 million instead.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    You could also save money by living in a tent instead of a house, but there are many advantages to living in a house, so most people choose not to live in tents.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps I can get trains, buses and taxis and spend 2 million instead.
    I always thought the taxi driver was taking the piss when he charged me £10,000 for a 2 mile journey. Now I know why.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had a couple of driving lessons in the 1960s but never took a test then I moved to London and have never thought of driving again since then

Think of how much money I've saved by not driving or owning cars for 40 years......:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I had a couple of driving lessons in the 1960s but never took a test then I moved to London and have never thought of driving again since then

Think of how much money I've saved by not driving or owning cars for 40 years......:o

£20 million. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    Lol, I'd love to know where he got these figures from.:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    Up to £100,000 on a car? :O Crikey, what cars are you looking at!? I can confidently say, mine is nowhere near worth this.. In fact, its nowhere near worth the £10,000 mark either :D

also taking theory and practical for me was about 100? Maybe slightly more but nowhere near what you say. Where are you living?!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    id say its probably is more expensive to run a car than using public transport ....

but the flip side is its way more convenient using a car .
    i drive like 2 miles to my work , i leave house at 8.50am, get to work at 8.55am , finish work at 5.30 pm and im in house for no later than 5.40pm(busier on way home for some reason)

if i took bus id have walk 2 mins to bus stop in whatever weather , wait for bus that comes at 8.25 am , id get to work on time (maybe...if bus is on time) and id have to wait until 6pm for bus home, id be quicker walking home .

so yeah i dont mind paying a few extra pounds to have my car.

also didnt cost me 500,000 .. i paid £500 for my car 3 years ago , have spent £150 to get it through mots... service myself and i put no more than 15£/pw petrol , i actually think in my case it could work out more expensive to use public transport
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Absolute rubbish! There are many new cars available for less than ten grand, and thousands upon thousands of second hand motors.
    engine change

I've been around cars and driving since I was five (on my Uncle's farm) and got my licence at 17, in that time I have bought God knows how many cars and there is one constant that carries through my entire car history - not once has a car needed a complete engine change.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A car is freedom .

And you dont need to spend £10grand .

My car was £6k and is worth it's weight in Gold :)
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have concluded that i dont need to drive or need to learn as after calculating the costs its far cheaper to rely on public transport than to drive

then the cost of taking the test both practical and theory cost around £200-500 in total

its very expensive more than half a million pounds just to keep a car then dont forget petrol surging petrol prices not cheap

so the forgone conclusion make sense that its better and cheaper to rely on public transport or better yet cycle to places etc

what do u think

Some rather inaccurate stuff there. You are 40 and have never learned to drive.
    Why has it taken you this long to decide? This looks like a sad excuse.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

what do u think

I think you need to look again at some of the figures you've come up with...
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Outside of London, its going to become mandatory to drive, cycle or walk even in towns and cities if local councils, transport executives and Government keep making public transport an easy target for cuts. That is unless you can easily afford a chauffeur or taxi service to take you everywhere.
    grps3 wrote: »
    ...i actually think in my case it could work out more expensive to use public transport
    £48 a month pays for all of my trips on public transport. Granted, not ideal in evenings and Sundays but that's the trade off you have to make. I suspect MOT, insurance, fuel, VED (if applicable) and maintenance costs will be far more than £48 a month.
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    grps3 wrote: »
    ...but the flip side is its way more convenient using a car .
    i drive like 2 miles to my work , i leave house at 8.50am, get to work at 8.55am , finish work at 5.30 pm and im in house for no later than 5.40pm(busier on way home for some reason)

if i took bus id have walk 2 mins to bus stop in whatever weather , wait for bus that comes at 8.25 am , id get to work on time (maybe...if bus is on time) and id have to wait until 6pm for bus home, id be quicker walking home .
    If ever there was a case to be made for convincing people that not every journey has to be made by car, this sort of thing emphasises it. 2 miles, in about 5 minutes. The car's barely warmed up in that short distance so is nowhere near optimum running temp for virtually every journey it makes through the week. And the return trip takes longer, presumably due to all those cars on the road...

The alternative alternative, not a car, not PT? A bike. Cheap as chips, 2 miles at a leisurely 10mph will take about 12 minutes and being leisurely you won't work up a sweat and won't need a fancy bike or proper cycling clothing. Going in it would add 7 minutes to the journey; the return would be only 2 minutes longer - you might miss an extra question on Pointless.

You might even enjoy it, and in poor weather you'd still be able to drive in, as you already own a car. I'd be ashamed to admit in public that travelling 2 miles under my own steam was out of the question. :)
  • Options
    TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member

what do u think

Well I laughed I could pick up over 100 cars with 100,000 hell if I was being frugal 200 cars couldn't drive them all at the same time though

No idea why you would be changing the engine?

Let's face it your post is nuts
  • Options
    Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    Public transport is great in the big Cities however in the smaller towns and countryside, it's way too infrequent and unreliable to rely on.
  • Options
    VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    I would love to drive - but even as a passenger I constantly think "That kid/dog/hamster could run out in front of us". I'm far too nervous and uptight to drive - I failed my test 4 times and had 2+ years of learning....It's safer for the country with me on public transport - luckily the town I live is a main rail link to London and the "cities"