Options

Gum Swelling Around Tooth

SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
Forum Member
✭✭✭
For the last few days around my back wisdom tooth, the gum is swelling a bit, it's twice the size of the opposite side of my mouth :o the tooth has a long time white hard temp filling because i can't keep the Amalgem silver filling in. Without the filling in it shows a deep cavity with the tooth broken level with the gum line (nothing to grab hold of if it had to come out)

The tooth aches a bit but i'm not in severe pain with it, the gum is up and feeling sore, seen the dentist yesterday and has put me on a weeks Amoxicillin antibiotics and i'm taking Ibuprofen too.

It does seem i have got an infection in it and/or tooth to make the gum swell up, my face is ok at the moment. How far do i let this go if the swelling gets worse around the tooth? all i can do is maybe salt water rinses, carry on brushing twice a day, mouth rinses.

Is it likely for the swelling to go down with these antibiotics after a few days? i'm just a bit worried now and can see me going to the hospital to get it taken out :cry:

Comments

• Options
    XIRONSXXIRONSX Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    Can only speak from personal experience, but I have had similar issues with the gum around my last surviving wisdom tooth - probably twice now over a couple of years, lasting about a week each time.

No real pain unless I touched it.

I just kept rinsing with warm salty water and decent mouthwash/regular brushing.
    Eventually went - and that was without antibiotics.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i`d get it looked at, if you have a cracked tooth it will repeatedly get infected.

in the meantime use corsodyl [or generic of that] mouthwash.

edit: forget it, i read your op proper now.:blush:
  • Options
    WizsisterWizsister Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    i`d get it looked at, if you have a cracked tooth it will repeatedly get infected.

in the meantime use corsodyl [or generic of that] mouthwash.

edit: forget it, i read your op proper now.:blush:

be careful with corsodyl. My dentist advised me that it stains your teeth quite severely even with infrequent use.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wizsister wrote: »
    be careful with corsodyl. My dentist advised me that it stains your teeth quite severely even with infrequent use.

it claims to stop when you stop using it. also you should wait about an hour or more after brushing your teeth because many toothpastes render it ineffective.
  • Options
    Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wizsister wrote: »

There is now a Corsodyl Daily which doesn't stain but is almost as effective.
  • Options
    chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it claims to stop when you stop using it. also you should wait about an hour or more after brushing your teeth because many toothpastes render it ineffective.

That seems a bit ridiculous to wait an hour after brushing. I would have been at work for about half an hour or asleep for about 45 minutes by then.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    chopsim wrote: »
    That seems a bit ridiculous to wait an hour after brushing. I would have been at work for about half an hour or asleep for about 45 minutes by then.

can`t really do much about chemical reactions i would imagine.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    There is now a Corsodyl Daily which doesn't stain but is almost as effective.

Corsodyl daily is not same as Corsodyl it doesn't contain the medicine, best to use Corsodyl I do and it clear my issues up in same day