Options

Turning 's' in to 'sh' in words - why?

Comments

• Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    Talizman wrote: »
    Changing 'th' to 'f' is not an accent, that's laziness.

Now you're just being silly, they speak as the people who live around them speak.

Maybe they will lose the accent if they move away, most people lose some of their accent when they move away.

Are all accents simply lazy?
  • Options
    AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you want examples, that Mike Brewer (of Wheeler Dealers n Discovery etc) does it all the time.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I blame East Enders, Ian Beale does it all the time as do others.>:(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    More importantly, why do so many bitch and moan about language? I always find language quirks, and colloquialisms quite endearing. Of course, it always depends on who is talking. If it's someone I like, then they should carry on. Someone I dislike and they must stop this insolence immediately.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. Can't say I do, when you conshider how multi-cultural we are.
  • Options
    TalizmanTalizman Posts: 2,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JB3 wrote: »
    Now you're just being silly, they speak as the people who live around them speak.

Maybe they will lose the accent if they move away, most people lose some of their accent when they move away.

Are all accents simply lazy?

If what you're saying is true then everyone with a London or Essex accent would say "fink" or "fings".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    It's just an affectation.

So why some words and not others? Why do they say "shtupid" but not "shtop"?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funnily enough there was a singer on XFactor recently who kept singing "sh" and Simon kept telling her to stop it, she didn't realise she was doing it and couldn't stop.:D
  • Options
    Jennifer_FJennifer_F Posts: 4,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    East London/Essex

Theatre = Feater.

South London would be

Theatre = Feartah.

Thats just lazy speach, or just not being taught to speak properly. TOWIE has a lot to answer to, some think its cool to speak this way.
  • Options
    SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    'Assume' becomes "ashume"

Because that is correct.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If what you're saying is true then everyone with a London or Essex accent would say "fink" or "fings".

Indeed - and we don't. I am Essex born and bred and was taught to speak properly.I have never said "fink" instead on "think" for example. I hear my neighbours talk in a really fake Essex accent ( they are defo not from Essex), clearly copying TOWIE speak ( or similar) so they appear trendy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saigo wrote: »
    Because that is correct.

No it is not, how can it be?. Would the Queen say " Ashoom" as opposed to Assume?
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone else notice that some people pronounce words like 'student' and 'studio' as "shtudent" and "shtudio" etc? 'Assume' becomes "ashume", 'restaurant' turns in to "reshtaurant"....anybody have any idea why they do this?
    Okay, no more fooling around.
    for "student":
    for s, tongue is towards front of mouth- alveolar ridge
    for t, tongue is normally front of mouth- alveolar ridge
    for y(u), (linguistics j) tongue body curves toward hard palate a little
    for sh, (linguistics ʃ) tongue body curves toward hard palate a little, tongue tip curves more

- people are taking a short cut for the st-yu-dent sounds, making them with one position with the body of the tongue curved back making it shtyu, instead of drawing it back for st-yu

I've never heard anyone sober say "reshtront"!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    - people are taking a short cut for the st-yu-dent sounds, making them with one position with the body of the tongue curved back making it shtyu, instead of drawing it back for st-yu

So in short, they're just being lazy?
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The "F" for "Th" is certainly quite common in some parts of South London. For example one hears Thornton Heath (part of Croydon) pronounced as something like Fort'n Eef. Whether it is a local/regional variation or maybe some kind of immigrant influence over several generations I don't know.

It is not something which spreads right across the southeast, though.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    On the sa me theme, why do people dahn sahth pronounce the word three as free? They also say Fink instead of Think. Strange!
    babiez first wordz are the eaziest "mama" and "papa" made with their lips. "fink" starts with the lips but "think" starts with the tongue. Assume the "finkers" r regressing
    :kitty:
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe Sean Connery started the 'sh' trend!
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beg as much as you want! There is no UK accent that changes letters like that in to new ones!
    I think Talizman has a bee in his bonnet over this, but he's correct in one sense, as the changing of "nothing" to "nuffink" is dialect rather than accent.

Something that has always annoyed me is when people pronounce theatre as theee-etter. I really can't work out where that comes from ...

or skellington instead of skeleton :D
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That video reminds me of the kind of video I made of myself with my parents video recorder when I was ten, and then everyone found the video and laughed at it. I really don't understand why you would want a video of yourself talking shit for the entire world to see. But I digress.
  • Options
    SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    Jennifer_F wrote: »
    No it is not, how can it be?. Would the Queen say " Ashoom" as opposed to Assume?

I think she does.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/pronunciation/british/assume

http://www.macmillandictionary.com/pronunciation/british/assume
  • Options
    Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeoBa92 wrote: »
    A better question would be what's with all these threads criticising people saying things a certain way?

To be absolutely fair to the OP, he didn't criticise it, he asked if anyone knew why people did it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    I blame East Enders, Ian Beale does it all the time as do others.>:(

Adam Woodyatt, the actor who plays Ian Beale, is presumably being asked to do that by the director, or the writers, to sound more convincing as an East-Ender, to other East-Enders, Southerners, who are viewing the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    East London/Essex

Theatre = Feater.

South London would be

Theatre = Feartah.

I beg to differ on this, having spent a lot of time on the East side of London, (from Stepney to Dagenham), and a lot longer on the South side, (Bermondsey, Peckham, New Cross, Brockley, the Elephant & Castle etc.), to my ears they all seem to say theatre as fee-etter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :p
    No. Can't say I do, when you conshider how multi-cultural we are.

You've missed the point, we are considering the "st" sound becoming "sh"
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Anyone else notice that some people pronounce words like 'student' and 'studio' as "shtudent" and "shtudio" etc? 'Assume' becomes "ashume", 'restaurant' turns in to "reshtaurant"....anybody have any idea why they do this?

It all started with "surely" (which the Private Eye have been ribbing about its use for many years - "Shurely shome mishtake?" etc.)