Options

[Game] The Mix Factor 6: Live Show #1

Comments

• Options
    jackel1234jackel1234 Posts: 5,218
    Forum Member
    Jonas

Decent for you? Yes. Extremely predictable? Yes. Okay Jonas this was another good start to the competition but I need to stress to your mentor that this was so predictable and just felt like a last minute find. I mean you could’ve AT LEAST gone and chosen a Kasabian song which isn’t one of their most famous songs. But yeah it was a decent song for you but nothing which will make me want to route for you.
  • Options
    SoppyfanSoppyfan Posts: 29,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I would have to agree. It was ideal for you but it was quite a safe choice, perhaps a little too safe? It was an okay performance, don't get me wrong, but I would like to see you take on less safe song choices, ones that could really help you shine. Overall, I found this to be a middle-of-the-road from you, but time will tell if you're safe or if you're in trouble.
  • Options
    EndOfSanityEndOfSanity Posts: 15,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jonas

Jonas, I love your voice as it’s very malleable and you can twist it to suit any song. This song shows two sides of your voice: the verses are very sultry and magnetising, while the chorus brings out the power in your voice which you sometimes hide. I can’t wait to get to work more with you and I hope you are kept in for this purpose. Well done!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah, the ever so classic 'good but predictable' reception for Jonas. Keep in mind that the public don't judge song choices the same way the judges do though, so we'll have to wait and see.

Back to Jakk and his boys for the next performance. Tackling a Mat Kearney song, it's one of our two New Zealand contestants - Benny Tipene!

Coming Home by Mat Kearney
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K3w7CKkeOQ
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Benny Tipene

Benny my boy, I am actually so happy I finally get to mentor you at long last. With this song I really wanted to show everyone what you’re about which is great folky tunes, wonderful guitar playing and of course a stunning voice. I didn’t want to give you a slowed down folk track the first week like the majority of people do with acts who play guitar, I want to give you a really big folk styled track that was catchy, upbeat and just showed you off. Fantastic first performance and we’ll have more of these to come.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    *Standing Ovation*

YES Benny!!!! As Jakk knows, I am a massive fan of yours and I have been for some time now. I still can't believe you didn't win your respective X-factor series. Everything about that was just perfection for you/. Your voice, your style, your energy....just everything. I actually thought I was listening to one of your songs at one point. Jakk obviously really understands you and I think you are going to go VERY far in this competition if you carry on like this. Incredible and definitely worthy of a standing ovation!!!
  • Options
    aliyah101aliyah101 Posts: 13,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kasabian are amaze but It is a tad prediction, but I do like the sort of direction Jonas will go down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The fact that I gave a standing ovation to Benny and his own mentor didn't. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Benny, I'm so glad you got picked as I really liked your voice on the real show. You have that authentic tone that when you put it to good use, you show off a positive light in your vocals and combined with song, it was a terrific performance. I'm already a fan of you after this and I want you to do very well, great job.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Benny Tipene

Benny, I’m happy with this song choice for you. It wasn’t exactly what I imagined your voice would sound like but I do think that it was a good choice on Jakk’s behalf. You showed a lot of passion in the performance and I hope that is something you will continue to do throughout all of your performances as it adds an extra layer to you and will make the audience connect more with you. Well done tonight!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Benny's song was lovely, the lead singer weirdly reminds me of Chris Martin?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amazing comments for Benny tonight, further substantiated by a standing ovation from Pingu. The boys seem to be on a roll tonight, let's hope they can keep at it.

Rochelle Perts is the name of the act performing next. This girl's got a lot of stage presence, but can she work it with this Kelela track?

Do It Again by Kelela
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWS9A8yoswI
  • Options
    Forum Member
    *Standing Ovation*

Wow Rochelle, you rocked it!!! Instead of going down the generic RnB route, I have decided to make you more interesting by having more alternative songs just like this one. This was perfect for showing what direction we will be going down. Your vocals were beautiful and it was just captivating from the very first note. It was really dark sounding and something I could definitely see you pulling off on the actual X-factor. This song also showed off all your ranges from low to high and it had a real old style sound which I loved. If you aren't here next week, then I will be so angry. Vote Rochelle!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rochelle Perts

Hmmm, Rochelle I think this track was a bit meh for you. Like when I compare this track to what I’ve seen you do it feels quite lackluster and drags on for a bit after a certain point. You see you have such amazing soulful power in your voice and swagger as well that what I think Pingu’s done is just thought because the artist he’s chosen is a soul singer it’ll suit you and it unfortunately doesn’t suit you a lot. You’ve got potential in you, I’ve just got to wait for that to be seen.

Anyone mind if I duct tape Pingu down to his seat?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rochelle Perts

Rochelle, I love your voice dearly but I really don’t feel that this song did it justice. I can see that Pingu wants to emphasise you as his “quirky” girl, but I feel that the track actually distracted from your voice a lot. Personally, I would’ve liked to have seen something a lot more stripped back so we could actually hear you, rather than what appeared to be an alien invasion...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jackel1234 wrote: »
    Anyone mind if I duct tape Pingu down to his seat?

Permission granted. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rochelle, when I heard this song for the first time, I was very worried about the direction, however in time, I began to get into the performance and I can see why alternative RnB would be ideal for you. This for me is my surprise of the night as it placed all the doubts I had aside. Well done for this risk-taking performance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks Steve. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A mixed bag of comments for Rochelle, could this prove to be troublesome for her later tonight?

Let's see if this duo will fare any better. Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you: Luke & Joel!

Cough Syrup by Young The Giant
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAsTlnjvetI
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Steve, I have to be honest. When I saw that you picked these boys, I thought you were going to do absolutely terrible with them....However, I actually really liked that. It suited them really well actually, and even though I have heard this song before in a game, it was a really good choice. Yes, there should've been more harmonizes because there wasn't many at all, but I thought that was a solid choice to start your journey off with. Well done and I hope you can continue to surprise me!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish this Rochelle song actually had a key change or something as it's begging for one :(. It's a good start but goes nowhere
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Luke & Joel

I adore, Young The Giant but I am not such a big fan of them for you guys if I am honest. You see Young The Giant have these fantastic powerful vocals with great range, and then there’s you guys who haven’t any range really. The performance wasn’t exactly bad but it was just one those performances that left less to be desired.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Luke & Joel

Boys, I’ve got to be honest. I didn’t like this. I always saw you guys as more rock artists than this kind of acoustic rock sound that Steve is going for. In my opinion, I think this was just a completely wrong choice. Although, the audience and other judges may disagree.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boys, this is exactly why I picked you. You don't have the best voices and everyone knows that, so we do with whatever I can to make you great performers with hidden gems that are right up your street. This was a superb choice from me and you both nailed it with the performance. You are a guilty pleasure act in a way and I want the public to get behind you as there's more of that to come.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Steve used the words 'hidden gem' as usual. :p