Options

derren brown infamous - channel 4 - 9.00pm

Comments

• Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I watch all his shows and am fascinated but i just cant bring myself to believe it.

I also find it hypocritical banging on about psychics being frauds and taking peoples money yet isnt that exactly what hes doing? Or are tickets free to his shows?
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Facebook probably.
    toofast wrote: »
    Actors, researchers, trickery. It ain't hard to do.

He throws a frisby into the crowd which can go anywhere. It can be caught by someone raising their hand and the person who it happens to land on can choose to throw it again if they wish. He does this a few times and each person arrives on the stage. So that rules out actors. I'm not sure how that allows any research either.
    toofast wrote: »
    You're exactly right. They do. People just complyand go aalong with it. They are completely aware of everything. It should be called compliance not hypnosis. It's BS.

I think a certain % of people will perhaps go along with it.. especially if they're on stage. But I believe some are so highly suggestive that they do go "under".
  • Options
    Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I goes to great lengths to say he doesn't read minds.... What he can read is 'micro-signals'. The same way a good poker player can read 'tells'.....

And that's nearly as much nonsense as people who say they can read minds. You can't decipher names from "micro-signals" from people stood on the other side of a room. THe mundane truth is that you only need to search twitter for someone saying "Got my Derren Brown tickets!!!!", and do a basic bit of internet detectiving from there.

I like Derren Brown tbh but it's all the same stuff now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I goes to great lengths to say he doesn't read minds.... What he can read is 'micro-signals'. The same way a good poker player can read 'tells'.....

yep,,, Derren Brown is the best at this
  • Options
    Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And that's nearly as much nonsense as people who say they can read minds. You can't decipher names from "micro-signals" from people stood on the other side of a room. THe mundane truth is that you only need to search twitter for someone saying "Got my Derren Brown tickets!!!!", and do a basic bit of internet detectiving from there.

I like Derren Brown tbh but it's all the same stuff now.

It was all in his book.....
  • Options
    Foxy RhinoFoxy Rhino Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tt88 wrote: »
    I watch all his shows and am fascinated but i just cant bring myself to believe it.

I also find it hypocritical banging on about psychics being frauds and taking peoples money yet isnt that exactly what hes doing? Or are tickets free to his shows?

He never claims to be a psychic. I think most people who come to see his shows know what they are paying to see.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I love it when he does this clairvoyant type stuff, it just goes to show that its not about talking to the dead etc... , its just very good cold calling type stuff
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The difference is Derren doesn't lie and claim he can speak to the dead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Foxy Rhino wrote: »
    He never claims to be a psychic. I think most people who come to see his shows know what they are paying to see.

But hes doing exactly what psychics do now which he disapproves of :confused:

He says this is impossible yet he appears to be doing it. If he can then whats to say the frauds he detests cant also do it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    THe mundane truth is that you only need to search twitter for someone saying "Got my Derren Brown tickets!!!!", and do a basic bit of internet detectiving from there.

So how does Derren engineer it that this random person on twitter ends up on stage with him? I'm all ears.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sally Whatsername,, the psychic fraud who claims what she does is real, should be banned from doing what she does
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This fella he's doing now, practaly opened is mouth as if to say 'evelyn'....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But hes doing exactly what psychics do now which he disapproves of :confused:

He says this is impossible yet he appears to be doing it. If he can then whats to say the frauds he detests cant also do it?

I don't know if they edited it out as I was watching another channel but in the live shows it was made clear that he is demonstrating how anyone can do what the psychics claim is a gift.. and therefore he was basically demonstrating that they're misleading people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I guessed bitten by a dog so i was close :D
  • Options
    Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So how does Derren engineer it that this random person on twitter ends up on stage with him? I'm all ears.

I don't know how he does all his stuff, it was a response to the original question of how he could know the name of someones pet.

I do know the truth isn't because of micro-signals or whatever though. Just because someone says it is doesn't mean it is. Just like a message coming up saying there are no actors or stooges doesn't make it true.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't know if they edited it out as I was watching another channel but in the live shows it was made clear that he is demonstrating how anyone can do what the psychics claim is a gift.. and therefore he was basically demonstrating that they're misleading people.

Ok im getting the idea.

The fact is though i cant do that and most people couldnt either. Not how specifically he is doing it.

I think psychics are all frauds, but what hes doing is exactly the same as they do. Hes made himself millions from doing this kind of thing so i dont think hes in a position to judge someone who makes the odd fifty quid here and there with "lucky guesses"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    rhumble wrote: »
    Sally Whatsername,, the psychic fraud who claims what she does is real, should be banned from doing what she does

sally morgan, horrible woman!
  • Options
    JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No they didn't show that but having watched him many times I know what he's all about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know how he does all his stuff, it was a response to the original question of how he could know the name of someones pet.

I do know the truth isn't because of micro-signals or whatever though. Just because someone says it is doesn't mean it is. Just like a message coming up saying there are no actors or stooges doesn't make it true.

BUt, as I said just now, I've actually noticed a particpants 'micro-signals'....
  • Options
    lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went up on stage at the Bradford show and was completely bowled over.
    After a few hours I think I realised how he did the "psychic" readings and you are all way off.
    He is a great showman whatever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have no idea how Derren Brown does it,,, but we know he isnt Psychic as that is not real, we know its a trick, but i would love to know how he does it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fact is though i cant do that and most people couldnt either. Not how specifically he is doing it.

I think psychics are all frauds, but what hes doing is exactly the same as they do. Hes made himself millions from doing this kind of thing so i dont think hes in a position to judge someone who makes the odd fifty quid here and there with "lucky guesses"

Anyone can learn to do it. It's quite simple when you know how. The thing is there is a huge difference between misleading people and entertaining people. He isn't claiming what he does is real magic.. he isn't claiming he has a gift of being able to read minds.. he isn't claiming he can speak to your dead grand mother and have a conversation with her. He's simply entertaining people and he's very good at it. Theres a big difference imho between that... and what psychics or mediums do for money.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lealeeds wrote: »
    I went up on stage at the Bradford show and was completely bowled over.
    After a few hours I think I realised how he did the "psychic" readings and you are all way off.
    He is a great showman whatever.

I couldnt even begin to guess how he does most of his stuff. I guess because i cant think of a logical conclusion i just assume its all fake.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There will clearly be tricks and techniques, that's a given. But you seemed to be throwing about suggestions that he uses actors or that it's all done via facebook. I pointed out earlier the very method of his selection of participants makes it impossible for him to get actors up on the stage or have pre knowledge of who will end up on stage.
  • Options
    lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well of course it's "fake" in the sense, as he says,nobody is a psychic