Options

Not a great atmosphere in Scotland

Comments

• Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    fhs man 2 wrote: »
    Yes and that is quite poor considering the UK has Scotland's oil money.
    It's the UK's oil money
    Ashbourne wrote: »
    The over 55s. The older voter , the elderly, the people who blocked the future for the young.

Try substituting that with , say Catholics, Asians, immigrants , etc.

This was a democratic process. 2 million people said no . To begin a process of demonising one section of society and stoking up bitter resentment is hardly the actions of a statesman.
    He was only quoting the stats. The OAP's mainly voted no. The young mainly voted Yes.

The reason why he lowered the voting age top 16
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    I thought people were being a bit melodramatic when they said there was tension between friends who voted the opposite way, but I was chatting to an old colleague today who was saying that his family in Dundee are in two camps who are not talking to each other still.
    All a bit petty, isn't it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    It's only the No voters who are calling it petty
  • Options
    RichTeaBiscuitRichTeaBiscuit Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From what I've been reading, generally the uneducated, young, or poor voted Yes.

One of the problems with democracy there, the least capable of society have equal say.
  • Options
    D_Mcd4D_Mcd4 Posts: 10,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From what I've been reading, generally the uneducated, young, or poor voted Yes.

One of the problems with democracy there, the least capable of society have equal say.

Where were you reading that little fact? Any links? People make these condescending statements and when others protest at being described as such they get accused of creating a bad atmosphere! :D
  • Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    It's the UK's oil money

The reason why he lowered the voting age top 16

Next time they'll have "You must be this tall" stands outside ballot stations in order to be eligible for the vote.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doltoi wrote: »
    [Not surprised really, if you had asked me how many ****s there were in Scotland I would have said about 2 million.

2 million ****s in Scotland? That is a truly terrifying statistic. Must be midges then.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    D_Mcd4 wrote: »
    Where were you reading that little fact? Any links? People make these condescending statements and when others protest at being described as such they get accused of creating a bad atmosphere! :D

Kinda like the guy who was saying that "no" voters were all pony owners who take afternoon tea at the Hilton, eh? ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member

The young and poor are "least capable"? Capable of what?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Electra wrote: »

Some people are claiming Tian Tian's uterus has absorbed the all-important Yes votes.....
  • Options
    JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    scotland has had a vote and the majority won and said no..so maybe a few more devolved powers will be given in a year or so and thats what was promised ..there is no trick or breach of promise yet so why is there any bad atmosphere .. :confused:..however now its not all about scotland..thanks to the aftermath / referendum, we in england are being given a moments thought and we need an english parliament or devolution for the regions...this should be done same time as scotland assembly gets more powers and maybe things are gonna work out okay . :)
  • Options
    plankwalkerplankwalker Posts: 6,702
    Forum Member
    Jakobjoe wrote: »
    scotland has had a vote and the majority won and said no..so maybe a few more devolved powers will be given in a year or so and thats what was promised ..there is no trick or breach of promise yet so why is there any bad atmosphere .. :confused:..however now its not all about scotland..thanks to the aftermath / referendum, we in england are being given a moments thought and we need an english parliament or devolution for the regions...this should be done same time as scotland assembly gets more powers and maybe things are gonna work out okay . :)

First step is to honour the Devo Max Agreement as quickly as possible before Salmond makes more mischief and poisons further the minds of the Young and Disaffected.

We don't want to end up little more than a group of small States arguing on who will get the biggest slice of the cake, because it is their "right". We do need to quickly sort the ridiculousness of devolved MPs voting on matters not related to their Assembly / Parliaments Sphere of Interest. Scots would not appreciate a Welsh or NI MP voting on there Internal Issues, so it is imminently reasonable that likewise only English MP's vote for English related matters. Everyone comes together on National Interests and overall Strategy as full and voting equals. It would take no time to introduce this principle and if not there soon will stoke the real resentment out there on how unfair this is. Another Legacy of Salmond.
  • Options
    rattierattie Posts: 7,050
    Forum Member
    Ashbourne wrote: »

He was only quoting the stats. The OAP's mainly voted no. The young mainly voted Yes.

Yes, I've seen much made of that voting stat. All it told me was that at least there were enough people around who'd lived a lot more of life and have more experience to save the day from the naviety of youngsters, many of whom are still children.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First step is to honour the Devo Max Agreement as quickly as possible
    Let's make that 'when it's good and ready and properly drafted after full consideration of all the issues, so there's no mistakes that cause chaos later' shall we?
  • Options
    maidinscotlandmaidinscotland Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    Let's make that 'when it's good and ready and properly drafted after full consideration of all the issues, so there's no mistakes that cause chaos later' shall we?

Perhaps they should have made that clear when promising max devo then and publishing a timetable.....a timetable they already haven't kept to.
  • Options
    JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    Perhaps they should have made that clear when promising max devo then and publishing a timetable.....a timetable they already haven't kept to.

devolving powers and especially tax powers is complicated..it cant be done like that / so quickly if its going to work..the monetary relationship between westminster and the scottish assembly has to be worked out properly so there is no disputes...peoples should have patience. as it wil take at least a year i reckon to go through and pass i to law .in scotland you have a devolved assembly ..think of how peoiple in the north of england feel whan they get zilch devolution and still nothing really concrete for them being promised. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jakobjoe wrote: »
    devolving powers and especially tax powers is complicated..it cant be done like that / so quickly if its going to work..the monetary relationship between westminster and the scottish assembly has to be worked out properly so there is no disputes...peoples should have patience. as it wil take at least a year i reckon to go through and pass i to law .in scotland you have a devolved assembly ..think of how peoiple in the north of england feel whan they get zilch devolution and still nothing really concrete for them being promised. :(

I agree with you but it doesn't detract from my point, the 3 amigos (well they were amigos 5 days ago, not surprised that has changed) set out a clear timetable and they have not stuck to it already. If they thought it was a tall order or needed more time to deliver what they promised they should surely have said so.
  • Options
    highking1014highking1014 Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that is odd indeed (regarding your fears of moving to england), i know many northern ireland catholics who work in england and have a lot of english friends, their ancestors fought against the english for centuries, slitting their throats in the battle field, but maybe the tension between the scots and the english is greater than with the paddies?
  • Options
    Forum Member

You know that'll never become true regardless of how often you say it, right?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    You know that'll never become true regardless of how often you say it, right?

What won't? The fact they never lived up to their 'vow' or the fact I am highlighting it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What won't? The fact they never lived up to their 'vow' or the fact I am highlighting it?

The fact that Brown promised stuff "before the next election" and then, when Alex Salmond tried to set an exact date (as a means of attempting to get Cameron to announce the date of the next GE), Cameron refused to acknowledge that date.

That's not failing to live up to a vow. It's ignoring some gormless, bitter, has-been arsehole's last attempt at sticking the knife in.

*EDIT*

Course, if there's some other facet of the agreement that you think the tories already haven't lived up to, I'd be interested to hear it.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    The fact that Brown promised stuff "before the next election" and then, when Alex Salmond tried to set an exact date (as a means of attempting to get Cameron to announce the date of the next GE), Cameron refused to acknowledge that date.

That's not failing to live up to a vow. It's ignoring some gormless, bitter, has-been arsehole's last attempt at sticking the knife in.

*EDIT*

Course, if there's some other facet of the agreement that you think the tories already haven't lived up to, I'd be interested to hear it.

I wish we had a 'like' button on DS :D
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    rattie wrote: »
    Yes, I've seen much made of that voting stat. All it told me was that at least there were enough people around who'd lived a lot more of life and have more experience to save the day from the naviety of youngsters, many of whom are still children.

Indeed. When I think back to the utter nonsense I believed at that age it makes me dead against 16-year-olds having a vote. Just naive, idealistic, impossible drivel unrooted in the real world.
  • Options
    linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed. When I think back to the utter nonsense I believed at that age it makes me dead against 16-year-olds having a vote. Just naive, idealistic, impossible drivel unrooted in the real world.

I was suprirsed so many voted independence. When I was at school years ago I was taught about the formation of the Union which was interesting and I learned about the housing in Glasgow and post war housing. Was interesting and it followed me a decade on and helped me make an informed and easy choice to vote no.