Options

Does the Quran tell Muslims to act like ISIS?

andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
Forum Member
I read a comment on the daily mail comments section which said the Quran tells Muslims to do what ISIS are doing, eg behead people, cause terror

Surely its not true?

Comments

• Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not read it and find out?
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bullcrap as usual form the daily fail
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read a comment on the daily mail comments section which said the Quran tells Muslims to do what ISIS are doing, eg behead people, cause terror

Surely its not true?

The comments under Daily Mail articles should not be taken seriously.
  • Options
    bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It depends how you interprete it.

Most religions can be interpreted in different ways, when you have a religion which has no head, like the Pope or Archbishop of Canterbury, then the possibilties of wide interpretion are greater.

The answer can only be yes, but it tells others different and often contadictory things.
  • Options
    FlibustierFlibustier Posts: 994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is a very strange book. It has many outrageous passages. The answer is yes, but it depends on the way you want to interpret it.

If you are some nutter, the Qu'ran will give you every passage you need to feel guiltless whilst killing.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reassuring to see DS getting back to normal after all the Scotland craziness.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ISIS weren't around when the Koran was written so probably not.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    Bloody hell. Daily Mail of all sites.
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    bullcrap as usual form the daily fail

And illiterate comment by someone who didn't read the OP correctly (it was a comment from a reader NOT the Mail itself) and who thinks it is still hysterically funny to call it the Daily Fail in an attempt to put it and anyone who reads it, down.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    shackfan wrote: »
    And illiterate comment by someone who didn't read the OP correctly (it was a comment from a reader NOT the Mail itself) and who thinks it is still hysterically funny to call it the Daily Fail in an attempt to put it and anyone who reads it, down.

And Daily Mail comments are still not meant to be taken seriously regardless of any reader who has posted there.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    bspace wrote: »

Most religions can be interpreted in different ways, when you have a religion which has no head, like the Pope or Archbishop of Canterbury, then the possibilties of wide interpretion are greater.

The answer can only be yes, but it tells others different and often contadictory things.

Indeed. If you just interpret the original bible (ie. the Hebrew version, or even the KJV) at face value, then if you are Christian and you see a chap who has boinked another chap, then in theory, you are to bury him in sand until just his head is poking out then throw stones and rocks at him until he conks it!
    Of course, your local vicar would probably advise against doing that these days.
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Somewhat.

The problem is in trying to pin down exactly what Islam is and teaches. It has differing rules for different situations. I'm pretty certain that the executions they broadcast to the world weren't justified by the quran/islam because the people they killed were innocent but it could be justified if they weren't.

You've probably heard you need to put things in context when someone quotes the quran and i'm never sure what people mean when they say it because even if you put it into the historic context the quran says it is meant for all time.

I had a funny conversation with a self styled "islamic commentator" about an often quoted phrase that there is no compulsion in Islam.

When i pointed out that muhammad said he would burn down the houses of everyone who didn't go to mosque his reply was:-

Ahh but he didn't because the women were at home :)
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Religious texts tend to be extremely vague about pretty much everything so they can probably be interpreted to mean a lot of different things.
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems a bit disingenuous to use only the worst or most extreme examples of a religion's adherents by which to judge everyone else who follows the religion.

I've heard IS referred to as bad Muslims this week. Are the people who don't behead, kidnap and murder bad Muslims instead? And in whose judgment? Nobody whose matters I'd say.
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know you aren't being serious.

The Daily Mail will publish any old tripe to incite Muslim hatred.

The problem is too many ignorant people fall for it.
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read a comment on the daily mail comments section which said the Quran tells Muslims to do what ISIS are doing,

Is it the bit about running like fvck for the bomb shelters?
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    Flibustier wrote: »
    It is a very strange book. It has many outrageous passages. The answer is yes, but it depends on the way you want to interpret it.

If you are some nutter, the Qu'ran will give you every passage you need to feel guiltless whilst killing.
    bspace wrote: »

I think any religion worth a moments consideration should manage to leave not a moments doubt where it stands on beheading random people or indeed any people. i.e. it is not a good thing.
  • Options
    Zidane82Zidane82 Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member

Surely its not true?

I saw something outragious on Sky News yesterday. In the Koran it is not allowed for Muslims to feel sorry for non- Muslims under any circumstances.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Surely its not true?

It's what ISIS tells its followers.
  • Options
    dragonzorddragonzord Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zidane82 wrote: »
    I saw something outragious on Sky News yesterday. In the Koran it is not allowed for Muslims to feel sorry for non- Muslims under any circumstances.

WTF, so the question should be why should non muslims feel sorry for muslims.?
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    In a word: yes.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    I thought it was more into stoning than beheading people.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flat Matt wrote: »
    In a word: yes.

In a word: no.
  • Options
    DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    In a word: no.

It sort of does. It is what moderate muslims are fighting against - that Islam isn't a theocracy and shariah isn't law.

There wouldn't be a debate if it didn't. It is why Iran is hanging gay people.