Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 61)

Comments

• Options
    pjh8pjh8 Posts: 4,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing is X Factor is at it's lowest rated stage and still only is 0.2m behind Strictly's launch? I'm expecting X Factor to beat Strictly once the live shows start
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shanders wrote: »
    Bruce. You realise just how good he is when he's not there.
    Although this might be an unpopular opinion in some quarters, but I agree with you there. SCD missed that extra something that Bruce provided.
  • Options
    ArtyAttackArtyAttack Posts: 67,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    Strictly had its lowest Saturday night rating in 5 years last night. Ouch. At no point last year was it ever that close between it and X Factor.

Agree. I really do think its missing a big personality to present it. X Factor did well considering the 30 minute clash and the disaster of a show the night before. Last night was a lot better talent wise. Both shows very close to each other.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Look at the Breakdown:

XF only averaged 6.7million between 8-8.30pm, and then jumped about 1.5million after that. SCD did a splendid job harming XF's first 30mins, and this is why the BBC will continue to schedule SCD to run until 8.20/8.30pm every week. It doesnt hurt SCD's own figures which remained steady but does severely dent XF!
    Err, strictly lost a million between 8 and 8:15?, not very steady?
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    BC Press Office ‏@bbcpress 56s
    .@FrankieTheSats topping the #SCD leaderboard was the highest rating TV show last night; 8.1m average, 9.1m peak.

TellyMix ‏@tellymix 52s
    RATINGS! #XFactor hits series low and is beaten by #Strictly again: http://ow.ly/C24w6
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Andy23 wrote: »
    Err, strictly lost a million between 8 and 8:15?, not very steady?
    Actually between 8-8.15pm, SCD had 8.7m. That was down only 0.1m compared to the previous quarter - a negligible number. Between 8.15-8.30pm it dipped to 7.7m because the show finished earlier than 8.30pm [the dances were over by 8.20pm] so viewers switched off/over. The breakdown proves that these clashes certainly harm XF far more than SCD.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    .@FrankieTheSats topping the #SCD leaderboard was the highest rating TV show last night; 8.1m average, 9.1m peak.

TellyMix ‏@tellymix 52s
    RATINGS! #XFactor hits series low and is beaten by #Strictly again: http://ow.ly/C24w6

We already know that. These tweets give us no additional information.

I'm surprised you like the second one, as they've ignored Friday's rating!
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't lying, I was merely picking up on what Score said. I think despite a more significant clash that's actually a decent result for XF. I know many were predicting much worse after Friday's numbers.

My apologies, I didn't pick up on that one rating. Like I said though, that episode aired in much tougher circumstances, beating it is no achievement.
    Look at the Breakdown:

19:00 ….. 6.9 (36.9%) ….. 3.0 (16.2%)
    19:15 ….. 7.9 (39.7%) ….. 3.3 (16.4%)
    19:30 ….. 8.5 (41.4%) ….. 3.8 (18.4%)
    19:45 ….. 8.8 (41.7%) ….. 4.2 (19.8%)
    20:00 ….. 8.7 (37.4%) ….. 6.4 (27.3%)
    20:15 ….. 7.7 (33.4%) ….. 7.1 (30.8%)
    20:30 ….. 5.0 (22.5%) ….. 8.3 (37.0%)
    20:45 ….. 4.8 (21.3%) ….. 8.3 (36.8%)
    21:00 ….. 4.9 (21.6%) ….. 8.0 (35.6%)

XF only averaged 6.7million between 8-8.30pm, and then jumped about 1.5million after that. SCD did a splendid job harming XF's first 30mins, and this is why the BBC will continue to schedule SCD to run until 8.20/8.30pm every week. It doesnt hurt SCD's own figures which remained steady but does severely dent XF!

I aint aggressive.

Big show starting an hour into the other big show starts low. Shock. XF always starts low anyway and it's been starting slightly late too which won't be helping. Strictly did seem to tail off a bit. It hit 9.1m at 7.55pm but by the final quarter hour it was 7.7m (although I appreciate the recaps and stuff will have dragged that down a bit).
  • Options
    tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is worth remembering that the equivalent SCD episode last year was the show's highest 1st Saturday night rating ever. So of course it was going to be down year on year because the comparitive number was so high by the show's own standards.

The equivalent episode for XF last year was the show's worst Saturday night rating, at the time, for 5 years. And it was XF's 2nd lowest Saturday night rating all series last year. So the fact last night's episode is down at that kind of level is nothing to be happy about. That is a pioor rating for Xf.

Stop lying or get your facts right >:(. SCD had 7.5m for its first Saturday night episode in 2011.

I think people are looking for excuses when in reality both shows are declining because they have been on TV for a long time and viewers are gradually starting to tire of them. Len and Simom's comments are more of the same and bad singers and dancers are no longer funny
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bad rating for XF, about 7.3million excluding +1!

Equivalent XF episode last year was its lowest Saturday rating in years, bar the DW 50th anniversary clash episode. So the fact it is level with that kind of poor rating is a bad result for XF.

SCD hits the 8million target which is great news :)

lets be honest and( i am not biased like most on here. i am not an aunty boy like sammy or even an itv girl) both ratings are respectable and will both rise with catch up, but theres hardly anything between them and itv may even overtake strictly in the officials. i don't really care as i don't watch either show, i watched ww2 in colour on channel 5. ;-)
  • Options
    northladnorthlad Posts: 1,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

TellyMix ‏@tellymix 52s

You are seriously rattled this morning!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    I had previously expressed concerns regarding DW's overnight figures when ranged against XF. The timeshifts will be the ones to look out for now.
    Doctor Who's overnights are really of no concern anymore. The first 4 episodes this year have time shifted to over 7 million viewers, no other first 4 episodes have been over 7 million in the last few years, all hovering around the 6.85 million
  • Options
    Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member

TellyMix ‏@tellymix 52s

How can it be a series low? That was Friday night. And stop ignoring the fact Strictly is down almost 1m whereas XF is level despite a more significant clash. This is why no one takes you seriously.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tobi wrote: »
    I think people are looking for excuses when in reality both shows are declining because they have been on TV for a long time and viewers are gradually starting to tire of them. Len and Simom's comments are more of the same and bad singers and dancers are no longer funny
    hooray at last, someone speaking some sense. an excellent post. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How can it be a series low? That was Friday night. And stop ignoring the fact Strictly is down almost 1m whereas XF is level despite a more significant clash. This is why no one takes you seriously.
    Im not ignoring it. I have acknowledged it is down but the comparative rating for last year's first Saturday night episode was its best ever. So of course it was very likely to be down and the BBC's target, as I mentioned yesterday, was 8m which is what it achieved. It rated on a similar kind of level to how the first Saturday episode normally does, and of course coming off the back of a Friday episode which clashed against XF, it might take a little bit more time than usual for SCD to gain back the momentum.

You seem to think just because XF is level year on year that its performance last night is better than SCD's. But that makes no sense... XF is level with a rating which was one of its worst ever Saturday night ratings in years. If you scroll back on the Ratings Thread one year and look at the comments about that 7.8m bootcamp rating from last year, everyone was saying how awful it was. Being level year on year with that kind of poor rating is nothing to be positive about. It is still a poor rating one year on.
  • Options
    AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    The question there is how did a show that apparently everybody hates, the critics hate, the papers hate, everybody on Twitter hates, that nobody watches anymore manage to come so close to a show that everybody loves and is the best thing ever??

Yet again the many pages of analysis last night talking up all those opinions was basically a waste of time.

What are the comparisons year on year?
    In fairness this is largely because Strictly underperformed rather than The X Factor over performing.
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Lot of nonesense being talked about DW I see. It should have had a SCD boost apparently and lets ignore the fact it clashed in its entirety with XF for the first time ever. I was expecting a bit of a fall.
  • Options
    Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    Im not ignoring it. I have acknowledged it is down but the comparative rating for last year's first Saturday night episode was its best ever. So of course it was very likely to be down and the BBC's target, as I mentioned yesterday, was 8m which is what it achieved. It rated on a similar kind of level to how the first Saturday episode normally does, and of course coming off the back of a Friday episode which clashed against XF, it might take a little bit more time than usual for SCD to gain back the momentum.

You seem to think just because XF is level year on year that its performance last night is better than SCD's. But that makes no sense... XF is level with a rating which was one of its worst ever Saturday night ratings in years. If you scroll back on the Ratings Thread one year and look at the comments about that 7.8m bootcamp rating from last year, everyone was saying how awful it was. Being level year on year with that kind of poor rating is nothing to be positive about. It is still a poor rating one year on.

So level is poor and down 1m is good? Oh OK then.

What about the fact the clash was more significant?
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    Score wrote: »
    3.6m/17.7% for Celebrity Chase. Didn't hold up too badly against Strictly.

And yet DW getting 4.9m against XF is disappointing?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

TellyMix ‏@tellymix 52s

Yet Strictly is down by over a million on last year with X Factor still to get to its live shows. BBC need to find a much more charismatic and entertaining presenter than what they have now though I think the decline for both shows is set to continue as we have already seen across the boards this year with most programmes.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The BBC really need to time Strictly better in future weeks so there isn't ten minutes of fluff at the end of the show - the It Takes Two trailer, for example, should have aired mid show rather than at the end and they could have easily padded out a couple of interviews with the couples. Saying that, it still would have been down year-on-year.

Doctor Who held up week-on-week, the higher lead-in being negated by the full clash with The X Factor. Relatively speaking, I think The X Factor did very well to be up year-on-year despite the longer clash and highly criticised Friday episode. Arguably the first episode since launch where ITV cam be fully satisfied with it's performance.

Pointless benefited from the Strictly lead out but still rated well. The Chase didn't do too badly considering the opposition, probably helped by starting alongside Strictly rather than half hour in. It will be dented next week. Through the Keyhole is another show which is being propped up by The X Factor rather than taking a reasonable lead in and running with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So level is poor and down 1m is good? Oh OK then.

What about the fact the clash was more significant?
    You dont seem to be analysising the data properly in depth. You have just seen SCD is down 1m and concluded its a poor rating. Why not look into the numbers more deeply? Why not investigate how SCD compares to most years of the show? Why not take into consideration that SCD was coming off a difficult Friday night episode?

The clash was more significant than last year's, but last year's XF episode started 20mins later which harmed its average due to less same-day timeshifting occuring.

The way you should look at it is like this:XF is level with its bootcamp rating of last year which at the time was considered a very poor rating and was one of its worst Saturday night ratings since 2007. SCD is down yoy from a record high first Saturday rating but in a similar ballpark to how it has rated for this episode for the majority of its 10 years.
  • Options
    bubbles2011bubbles2011 Posts: 132
    Forum Member
    Bad rating for XF, about 7.3million excluding +1!

Equivalent XF episode last year was its lowest Saturday rating in years, bar the DW 50th anniversary clash episode. So the fact it is level with that kind of poor rating is a bad result for XF.

SCD hits the 8million target which is great news :)

The +1 rating should always be taken into account. Not much difference between the two at all. Most will catch up today and I would say X Factor will win it with the official ratings.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    And yet DW getting 4.9m against XF is disappointing?

Because Doctor Who and Celebrity Chase come with the same level of expectation and cost for their networks, of course.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You dont seem to be analysising the data properly in depth. You have just seen SCD is down 1m and concluded its a poor rating. Why not look into the numbers more deeply? Why not investigate how SCD compares to most years of the show? Why not take into consideration that SCD was coming off a difficult Friday night episode?

The clash was more significant than last year's, but last year's XF episode started 20mins later which harmed its average due to less same-day timeshifting occuring.

The way you should look at it is like this:XF is level with its bootcamp rating of last year which at the time was considered a very poor rating and was one of its worst Saturday night ratings since 2007. SCD is down yoy from a record high first Saturday rating but in a similar ballpark to how it has rated for this episode for the majority of its 10 years.
    I find this to be quite a condescending post simply because the forum member doesnt agree with your biased analysis.
This discussion has been closed.