Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 61)

Comments

• Options
    AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    The only reason I suggest SNT moving there is because it is extremely difficult to launch a new entertainment show these days to 5m+ against any competition, let alone SCD. When was the last time Itv launched a new entertainment show to 5.5m+ excluding Red or Black? Take into account that SCD automatically chops off about a million from a show's ratings, and it makes the job that much harder.

The only sort of shows which would get 5m against SCD at the moment would be shows which can get 6m facing normal competition. Itvs only entertainment show [bar the 3 big ones] at the moment that could do that is Saturday Night Takeaway, which could do that. Unless Stars In Their Eyes surprises us early next year, I dont think there will be any changes to that stat.
    But why do they need to be launching to 5+ million opposite Strictly? They don't. This notion that everything has to be an insta-success is horrifying.
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    AlexiR wrote: »
    But why do they need to be launching to 5+ million opposite Strictly? They don't. This notion that everything has to be an insta-success is horrifying.
    Shows in this day and age in primetime on BBC1 and Itv need to hit the ground running or at least start quite well. Name me the last time a show started badly on BBC1/ITV primetime [between 7-10.30pm] which went on to be a 5m+ success? It's been ages [GBBO doesnt count because that was on BBC2].

In this day and age, the pressure is on a Saturday night show to at least start respectably otherwise the knives are out from the press and the damage is done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pay Ant and Dec more, promise them their own sitcom from Mitre TV [their production company] and they will accept the deal. Money talks.
    Offer them a sitcom they couldn't possibly do because you've got them working basically every month of the year on other projects. Genius.

An Autumn run of Take Away is a bad idea. It would I suspect damage the run in Q1. A run that ITV desperately need given the lack of absolutely any other content in Q1. It would over expose and over extended Ant & Dec which would again likely only result in further damage to all of their shows. ITV need to invest in new talent and new formats not keep throwing ever larger sums at Ant & Dec to see diminishing returns.
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I'd prefer Knowles to Norton which is saying something.

Strictly is a bit of a weird beast though in that it has two hosts who basically spend no time on screen together. I can't help but wonder if they maybe should have tinkered with the format a little to get Tess and Claudia actually co-hosting. The Casualty intro the pair did together seems to have gone down well after all. In truth I suspect the BBC is probably a little bit peeved that Tess decided not to leave with Bruce. I suspect they would have quite liked the option to have Claudia with the contestants this year and a new male hole host with the judges but didn't feel they could get away with booting Tess.

ITV can't just throw Ant & Dec at every problem they have. Plus another run of Take Away here potentially damages it when they really need it in Q1.

I would suggest that what ITV actually need to do is start taking considerably more risks with the schedule around The X Factor. TV Burp wasn't exactly a safe or obvious commission on their part (something that I think has been lost because of how long it ran). They're not going to drag audiences away from Strictly or get much oxygen opposite Strictly with the same old same old.

I thought Graham Norton did well with the Andrew Lloyd Webber shows; he's had a grounding in live reality formats.

TV Burp was originally commissioned for the post news slot (did it start at 10pm then moved when News at Ten returned?) and was given a Saturday night slot after strong performances and a feeling from ITV that they had nothing to lose. It wasn't the case of a show starting 'cold' opposite Strictly. As said, comedy does look the obvious choice considering TV Burp's performance but what can they put there? No one is exactly churning out comedy hits at the moment.
  • Options
    JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saturn wrote: »
    SCD are suffering because of the poor line up and a failure to bring in a new host. The whole show feels a bit tired. They could do with replacing some of the judges.

Yep, that works a treat with the continual changes on XF.....
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My master plan would be:

Takeaway airing in September and October: all undercover filming done in June/July/August
    Im a Celeb airing in November: they jet out to Oz week after SNT finishes
    Takeaway airing in February and March: all undercover filming done in December/January
    Britains Got Talent airing in April and May: auditions filmed in January

Pay Ant and Dec more, promise them their own sitcom from Mitre TV [their production company] and they will accept the deal. Money talks.

Except that they would have virtually no time to work on any promised sitcoms because they are working flat out on other ITV projects.. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Except that they would have virtually no time to work on any promised sitcoms because they are working flat out on other ITV projects.. :o
    Nah, they would have June time to film the sitcom.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But it should rate above 3.5m, otherwise they may as well leave The Chase there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shows in this day and age in primetime on BBC1 and Itv need to hit the ground running or at least start quite well. Name me the last time a show started badly on BBC1/ITV primetime [between 7-10.30pm] which went on to be a 5m+ success? It's been ages [GBBO doesnt count because that was on BBC2].

In this day and age, the pressure is on a Saturday night show to at least start respectably otherwise the knives are out from the press and the damage is done.
    Take Me Out. Started its first run with less than 4 million and ended it with just over 5 million.
  • Options
    JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pjh8 wrote: »
    The thing is X Factor is at it's lowest rated stage and still only is 0.2m behind Strictly's launch? I'm expecting X Factor to beat Strictly once the live shows start

Based on what ? Simon and Cheryl coming back, that's working well so far.....
    They haven't been on top for years so nothing so far to suggest that will change at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking at your plan they're working on Takeaway in June ready for the Autumn run. They're going to be hard pushed to write and film a sitcom at the same time!
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shows in this day and age in primetime on BBC1 and Itv need to hit the ground running. Name me the last time a show started badly on BBC1/ITV primetime [between 7-10.30pm] which went on to be a 5m+ success? It's been ages.

Advertisers are so far stretched these days that premium slots are rare. Therefore it works both in ITV's favour and the advertisers that ITV should have one premium show on per night. Advertising space is premium prices during XF so therefore if ITV start to expect advertisers to pay premium prices for lowish ratings then ITV are going to start struggling to sell ad space. The advertisers can sell ads to zillions of commercial broadcasters at cheap rates. So, when an opportunity comes along like XF to advertise to the masses then advertisers are going to capitalise on that. They would not want premium slots all night every night because the costs would be far too high! It really isn't all about excessive ratings. ITV are a commercial broadcaster who are competing for the same limited amount of advertising. You need to bear that in mind.

ITV's current Saturday night schedule is serving them fine. They have decent enough shows pulling in OKish audiences and then a big hitter. Why would they want to change that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Take Me Out. Started its first run with less than 4 million and ended it with just over 5 million.
    Take Me Out's first episode had 3.6m. Second episode went up to 4.5m because the lead-in was changed to TV Burp which was more compatible. And it remained steady around that mark for the rest of the first series, no episode in the first series went over 5m in the overnights.

The second series, despite having an XF lead-in for the first episode, averaged the same as the first. The third series went up 0.1m. There-after, it has declined. It has never shown regular signs of being a 5m+ hit.
    Fudd wrote: »
    Looking at your plan they're working on Takeaway in June ready for the Autumn run. They're going to be hard pushed to write and film a sitcom at the same time!
    Who says they have to write the sitcom? They just need to shoot it.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Take Me Out's first episode had 3.6m. Second episode went up to 4.5m because the lead-in was changed to TV Burp which was more compatible. And it remained steady around that mark for the rest of the first series, no episode in the first series went over 5m.

LIES! :p

Episode 6 got 5.1m.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But it was given an easy slot to either find it's feet or fail - it's not like it was thrown against Strictly and expected to sink or swim (unlike last year!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Offer them a sitcom they couldn't possibly do because you've got them working basically every month of the year on other projects. Genius.

An Autumn run of Take Away is a bad idea. It would I suspect damage the run in Q1. A run that ITV desperately need given the lack of absolutely any other content in Q1. It would over expose and over extended Ant & Dec which would again likely only result in further damage to all of their shows. ITV need to invest in new talent and new formats not keep throwing ever larger sums at Ant & Dec to see diminishing returns.

Agreed. ITV are possibly hoping Stars in their Eyes and SNT are going to do big business for them come February. On paper it seems like the perfect match. BBC bringing back Gen Game alongside the People's Strictly would probably do decent business for them too. Why would broadcasters want to put all their eggs in one basket?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Score wrote: »
    LIES! :p

Episode 6 got 5.1m.
    Not according to Digital Spy which says it got 4.99m: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a204751/lets-dance-opens-to-63-million.html

The point is... Take Me Out, besides a few episodes here and there such as the one when it had an XF lead-in, has never proven to be a regular 5m+ success. It launched with 3.6m off the back of an incompatible football post-match-analysis lead-in and has rated around 4.5m for most of its first three series. Hardly a big growing hit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And of course, after working flat out for every other month of the year, they wouldn't want (or deserve) any time off at all would they .......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who says they have to write the sitcom? They just need to shoot it.

Fair enough but they're still going to burn themselves out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Samuel would probably have them doing Takeaway during the daytime, and the sitcom overnight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So why not just commission an Ant & Dec sitcom to air Saturday night before The X Factor?
    But it should rate above 3.5m, otherwise they may as well leave The Chase there.
    Certainly but I think we can all agree that there's a noticeable difference between more than 3.5 million and more than 5 million. I genuinely believe that what ITV need to do with this pre-X Factor slot is find a format they like and just stick with it. I'm fine with that format being Celebrity Chase (that's a lie I'm not but I suspect that might be the best we get).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And of course, after working flat out for every other month of the year, they wouldn't want (or deserve) any time off at all would they .......
    Youre acting as if it's tough to have a 9-5 job every weekday of the week. They wouldn't even have to do that.

At the moment they are effectively doing what I've suggested with their Takeaway tour. Just substitute the tour for the actual tv show. And in addition to that, get them filming 6 episodes of their sitcom over 2 weeks. Job done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Samuel would probably have them doing Takeaway during the daytime, and the sitcom overnight.

Aren't Ant and Dec geordie Oompa Loompas? If that's the case working them flat out wouldn't be a problem. Just give them chocolate and fifty awards each year and they'll decorate your home, mow your grass, do your shopping and fit you a new conservatory at the same time. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So why not just commission an Ant & Dec sitcom to air Saturday night before The X Factor?
    I suppose you could. But Itv are too scared to air scripted shows on Saturday nights.
  • Options
    leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Xfactor will be around for a long time yet regardless of the viewing figures. ITV seem to have nothing to show in its place.
This discussion has been closed.