Options

Ben Haenow

Comments

• Options
    EvilredzebraEvilredzebra Posts: 16,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think I must have been watching a different show - thought he was awful, absolutely murdered the song and that ordinary guy makes good personality is going to grate very quickly.
  • Options
    yogacatsyogacats Posts: 6,954
    Forum Member
    Tredder wrote: »
    Any views?

Not my cup of tea, gotta be honest. I like to hear a song sung, not shouted.
  • Options
    yogacatsyogacats Posts: 6,954
    Forum Member
    unclekevo wrote: »
    Distinctly average, nothing we haven't seen before IMO. Massively preferred Jay

Same as this. He had the 'edge' to the voice without having to 'screech' it out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    yogacats wrote: »

Agreed. The tone of his voice is just wonderful and it was a great song choice but he is excessive with the use of his vocals. He basically shouted the entire last half of the song, it was awful. So many of these younger singers put volume over technique. Less can be more.

He is better than Jay James but they both suffer from cronic over singing.
  • Options
    DamienSDamienS Posts: 12,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My favourite so far
  • Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,798
    Forum Member
    I'm really liking him, rooting for him to do well.
  • Options
    steve2013steve2013 Posts: 2,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed. The tone of his voice is just wonderful and it was a great song choice but he is excessive with the use of his vocals. He basically shouted the entire last half of the song, it was awful. So many of these younger singers put volume over technique. Less can be more.

He is better than Jay James but they both suffer from cronic over singing.

This.
  • Options
    lulu glulu g Posts: 52,667
    Forum Member
    No to the song choice, yes to his voice.
    Other way round for me. Loved the song, hated the voice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,550
    Forum Member
    yogacats wrote: »

I feel the same way. He shouted the whole thing and hurt my ears. I didn't like his voice at all. I also thought it was a bit disrespectful of him to keep banging on about Cheryl's looks when his own beautiful girlfriend was there supporting him.

I don't know why he got through...he can't sing for toffee!!! :confused:
  • Options
    Nobby BurtonNobby Burton Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The cynic in me thinks they focused so much on his relationship with his girlfriend to try and ward off the 'girls who fancy him' supervote, as he's not the winner they want

They usually portray all male contestants as single
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely love him. One of my favourite ever XF acts.
  • Options
    marsha_Cutiepiemarsha_Cutiepie Posts: 9,721
    Forum Member
    His version of Wild Horses was APPALLING. Seriously what is the deal with over singing every word - it was like he dragged each word out, till his voice cracked, it was just absolutely terrible!

I do like that kind of gravelly voice he has, but it sounds like he has worn it out a bit already - he was extremely disappointing and ruined an amazing song.
  • Options
    Singy ThingySingy Thingy Posts: 4,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lulu g wrote: »
    Other way round for me. Loved the song, hated the voice.

I never claimed to love his voice or hate the song.

I love the song, but it does not suit him. That is what i meant by no to the song.

I like his voice, though he needs to work on some things to smooth out the roght edges as far as tech. That is what I meant by yes to the voice.

When he relaxed in his mid range, I could hear the signature qualities of an authentic rock voice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I never claimed to love his voice or hate the song.

I love the song, but it does not suit him. That is what i meant by no to the song.

I like his voice, though he needs to work on some things to smooth out the roght edges as far as tech. That is what I meant by yes to the voice.

When he relaxed in his mid range, I could hear the signature qualities of an authentic rock voice.
    BIB - I get you - so we are in agreement on that point then. I still didn't like his voice, though.
  • Options
    MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was nice when it stopped.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    Menk wrote: »
    It was nice when it stopped.

:) He has an amazing vocal range, that wasn't the song he had prepared for but it was edited to show it was.

I think you may change your minds a little this weekend, hope so anyway.
  • Options
    hannahhannah Posts: 13,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really like him one of my favourites this year liked both performances but preferred his audition
  • Options
    JMinLondonJMinLondon Posts: 1,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is he the one who told his sob story and cried then wished that people would only judge him for his voice and not because of the background story? if so why even bring up your dead brother?

Sorry if someone else - the names dont mean anything to me until the proper show starts.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JMinLondon wrote: »
    Is he the one who told his sob story and cried then wished that people would only judge him for his voice and not because of the background story? if so why even bring up your dead brother?

Sorry if someone else - the names dont mean anything to me until the proper show starts.

Isn't that Jake?

Ben is the van driver from Croydon - no sob story
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JMinLondon wrote: »

No. Vaguely similar but not the same person.
  • Options
    trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,998
    Forum Member
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Isn't that Jake?

Ben is the van driver from Croydon - no sob story

Yes, love his down to earth, no frills sob story :D

Thought I'd bump this thread as I think Ben is amazing. Loved his song choice last night. He seems old fashioned but in a great retro way. Love his voice, his style, his utter lack of sob story ;-) Can't wait to hear him in the lives, assuming he will make it.
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's on my shortlist, love him.
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do feel the males in both categories are too similar jake, Paul, Ben, jay they are singing the same dad type ballads.

They are all interchangable
  • Options
    Mina_CameronMina_Cameron Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love him. His voice is great and he's been consistent so far, and I like that there are no sob stories and whining with him. I think he'll go far, and whether he wins or not, he'll get a shot at some kind of deal.
  • Options
    trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,998
    Forum Member
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    I do feel the males in both categories are too similar jake, Paul, Ben, jay they are singing the same dad type ballads.

They are all interchangable

I suppose it depends on what you like and I obviously like Dad type ballads :blush: However I think Ben stands out among all of these as he was the only one I could actually hear above the baying mob :cool: His voice is actually very different too.