Options

Oscar Pistorius Trial (Merged)

Comments

• Options
    Siobhan_MooreSiobhan_Moore Posts: 6,365
    Forum Member
    Jeremy99 wrote: »
    In Pistoland consideration of probabilities are reversed

Pistorius admitted that he considered it possible that the highly improbably could occur in that a warning bullet may have ricochet and injured him but he considered it not possible that the highly probable would occur in that the bullets he aimed and fired deliberately at a person would actually kill that person.

i keep reading "pistoland" as "poundland" :D
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    porky42 wrote: »
    I haven't read the whole article no.

Who argued that? They sound like OP groupies.

Here's a couple of posts with examples of people thinking that way.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=74754813&postcount=22316
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=74814546&postcount=241

I suggest you do read the whole article, it should help you to better understand the issues.
  • Options
    ClaireChClaireCh Posts: 5,899
    Forum Member
    I didn't see this post before.

He said wtte "I shot her, I thought she was an intruder"

That just seems like a statement of 2 facts. Neither of which indicate intent, as we now know.

It's about as useful an indicator of guilt as "I crashed my car into her and killed her"

they are two inextricably linked facts.

like saying I poisoned the food and Reeva ate it. I thought someone else was going to eat it. the second part of the sentence is there to justify the first.

your example should say I crashed my car into Reeva but I thought I was crashing into Sam.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Did you see the bit where he says that in Zimbabwe he had seen cases with less evidence of murder in which the accused had made just one or 2 mistakes in his testimony and been hanged?

Yet on his YouTube channel there's a video in which he explains that judges are trained not to assume that an accused who gives his evidence badly or lies must be guilty and explains why:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvdzUyQRcE4

It's as though he has theory but then doesn't feel it should apply in practise.

he's not basing his opinion on oscar's lies though, is he? unless i've spectacularly missed the point (wouldn't be the first time)
  • Options
    Jeremy99Jeremy99 Posts: 5,476
    Forum Member
    i keep reading "pistoland" as "poundland" :D

One could say....
    Pistoland is where Pistorius lives

and

Poundland or should that be Randland is where Masipa and the assessors have recently taken up residence (allegedly of course)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    you forgot "open a window". that is key for getting away with it :p

and sobbing and volunteering to dedicate your victim's life to god.
  • Options
    ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't want a fight.
    Stop picking one then. :)
  • Options
    pinkbandanapinkbandana Posts: 1,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he's not basing his opinion on oscar's lies though, is he? unless i've spectacularly missed the point (wouldn't be the first time)

You probably haven't missed the point :). I'm not sure what you mean about not basing his opinions on OP's lies so perhaps I'm missing your point ;). I just meant to say that some of his comments in that discussion indicate someone not seeing things in an objective way. He is putting himself forward as an expert but giving his opinion based on his feelings, it seems.
  • Options
    bootyachebootyache Posts: 15,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True, and that's just one of the pairs of Masipa's knickers she got in a legal twist :)

:D:D

It could be said that she used her words quite cleverly, or, she did not understand the charge in the first place and neither understands SA law.

Did she or others even look at the potential consquences of this judgemant?

Can it be put down to a fledgling Democracy. But, even if it could, it still has caused great concern to many law people outside SA.
  • Options
    Forum Member

no he isn't basing it on OP's lies, which is why Pinkbandana is missing the point not you. he is not even saying Oscar should have been found guilty. He is saying the court failed to give a logical explanation why he was not convicted of murder.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    Was that your black talon chocolate fudge cake? :D

It was Nigella Lawson and I didn't intend to throw it I tells ya!! *cries* *vomits*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One could say....
    Pistoland is where Pistorius lives

and

Poundland or should that be Randland is where Masipa and the assessors have recently taken up residence (allegedly of course)

I thought it was LaLaLand...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You probably haven't missed the point :). I'm not sure what you mean about not basing his opinions on OP's lies so perhaps I'm missing your point ;). I just meant to say that some of his comments in that discussion indicate someone not seeing things in an objective way. He is putting himself forward as an expert but giving his opinion based on his feelings, it seems.

I don't agree. can you quote an example of his where you formed that impression?
  • Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you see the bit where he says that in Zimbabwe he had seen cases with less evidence of murder in which the accused had made just one or 2 mistakes in his testimony and been hanged?

Yet on his YouTube channel there's a video in which he explains that judges are trained not to assume that an accused who gives his evidence badly or lies must be guilty and explains why:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvdzUyQRcE4

It's as though he has theory but then doesn't feel it should apply in practise.

I can see that you can lie about some things but not the main part.

For example you might say, I was not smoking weed that night ( that is a lie) because you don't want an additional charge, but you are on the whole telling the truth.

I don't see how that has to do with the implausibility of OP's version of events though.
  • Options
    bookcoverbookcover Posts: 6,216
    Forum Member
    I didn't see this post before.

He said wtte "I shot her, I thought she was an intruder"

That just seems like a statement of 2 facts. Neither of which indicate intent, as we now know.

It's about as useful an indicator of guilt as "I crashed my car into her and killed her"

Car is a tool used for transportation.

Gun is a tool used for killing.

Different purposes are they not?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I agree.

IMO, he's pointing out that a poor witness may not always be guilty and gives a very good example.

But that's just a point about possible miscarriages of justice and he gives the impression that he likes to look at trials fairly and tells the viewers to do the same.

To me it's an answer to a particular question. But it does not answer every trial case and I'm sure Judge Greenland never intended it to be.
  • Options
    bookcoverbookcover Posts: 6,216
    Forum Member
    ClaireCh wrote: »
    and sobbing and volunteering to dedicate your victim's life to god.

OP has scant respect for people when they are alive, why would you think he would have any respect for anyone when they die?
  • Options
    Forum Member

seems we both missed the point :p

i thought you were saying that greenland based his opinions on oscar's guilt on the fact that he lied when he was on the stand. whereas what i've read on here (i haven't read the full transcribed interview yet) what he's saying is he's taken into account all the evidence put forward by the state and come to the conclusion that oscar is guilty and that the state couldn't have done anything more than what they could have done

i can see where you're coming from though. he was convinced of oscar's guilt before the verdict, so it's difficult for him to look at things objectively
  • Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I see it the intent to kill starts back at the time you choose a particular gun with ammo you know will be devastating. In fact you have seen the effects of shooting with high-powered ammo at the gun range.

When you pick up that gun, you know what is going to happen if you fire it.

How could you forget that?

Then you fire it four times.
  • Options
    porky42porky42 Posts: 12,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bookcover wrote: »
    [/B]
    Car is a tool used for transportation.

Gun is a tool used for killing.

Different purposes are they not?

I knew someone was going to say that :D

The point I was trying to make is that there is no intent to murder in the statement "I shot, I thought it was an intruder". Thats all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I seen the opposite.

And I see him looking at the law and how it is or not applied and in this case he shows concern as he in applying the law to this judgement in the OP trial points out it was not followed properly.

His opinion about his concern regarding potential consquences because of this judgement does not mean he is using mere opinion and feelings to the law as the law is not supposed to be about feelings or opinions.

* bookcover, don't you start :p * ;-)

:cool::D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    going back to the question of whether the State can appeal sentencing as well as verdict - I have found this article.

this is the statement of a senior advocate - identity not given

" A senior advocate, who cannot be named for ethical reasons, agrees with this. “I think the State has a good chance to secure a murder verdict on appeal,” he said.

This is if the State can convince a court during leave to appeal that the judge made an error in law when she applied legal principles in coming to her finding.

According to the advocate, the State cannot appeal an error in fact.

“The general feeling is that the judge erred in her approach to the legal question of whether he was guilty or not on the doctrine of dolus eventualis (that he had to foresee the possibility that he could kill someone).”

The State will have to wait until the conclusion of these proceedings before it can apply for leave to appeal. “I think if it is granted, the matter will go before the Appeal Court in Bloemfontein, as there will be various important questions in law which will have to be determined. This will include whether the judge applied the principles of dolus eventualis,” the expert said.

The Supreme Court of Appeal court will only evaluate the issues on the record of the proceedings before it and on legal arguments. If it is found that there was an error in law and the verdict should have been murder, the appeal court will refer the matter back to the trial court, but only for resentencing.

The expert said the law did not provide for a retrial and Pistorius won’t have to testify again about the events of that morning.

Sentencing proceedings would have to start afresh, as they would have to be based on the (possible) new conviction of murder."

http://www.iol.co.za/news/crime-courts/oscar-won-t-testify-if-npa-appeals-1.1750413#.VClB_fldWUU

another opinion to throw into the mix! :D
  • Options
    jpscloudjpscloud Posts: 1,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bootyache wrote: »
    No, I picked you up wrong at first.

I read your post too quick.

I was watching The Ryder Cup and popping in here during the ads. Also filling up skip clearing garage out as skip is being collected today. And I misread your post thinking you didn't believe anything I said.

I then deleted my reply but meant to delete the smilies but got back later too late.

So I apologise for the confusion.

My fault. ;-)

Thanks, and no worries :)
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ClaireCh wrote: »
    going back to the question of whether the State can appeal sentencing as well as verdict - I have found this article.

this is the statement of a senior advocate - identity not given

" A senior advocate, who cannot be named for ethical reasons, agrees with this. “I think the State has a good chance to secure a murder verdict on appeal,” he said.

This is if the State can convince a court during leave to appeal that the judge made an error in law when she applied legal principles in coming to her finding.

According to the advocate, the State cannot appeal an error in fact.

“The general feeling is that the judge erred in her approach to the legal question of whether he was guilty or not on the doctrine of dolus eventualis (that he had to foresee the possibility that he could kill someone).”

The State will have to wait until the conclusion of these proceedings before it can apply for leave to appeal. “I think if it is granted, the matter will go before the Appeal Court in Bloemfontein, as there will be various important questions in law which will have to be determined. This will include whether the judge applied the principles of dolus eventualis,” the expert said.

The Supreme Court of Appeal court will only evaluate the issues on the record of the proceedings before it and on legal arguments. If it is found that there was an error in law and the verdict should have been murder, the appeal court will refer the matter back to the trial court, but only for resentencing.

The expert said the law did not provide for a retrial and Pistorius won’t have to testify again about the events of that morning.

Sentencing proceedings would have to start afresh, as they would have to be based on the (possible) new conviction of murder."

http://www.iol.co.za/news/crime-courts/oscar-won-t-testify-if-npa-appeals-1.1750413#.VClB_fldWUU

another opinion to throw into the mix! :D

Looking more and more like The Never Ending Story. :D
  • Options
    porky42porky42 Posts: 12,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    As I see it the intent to kill starts back at the time you choose a particular gun with ammo you know will be devastating. In fact you have seen the effects of shooting with high-powered ammo at the gun range.

When you pick up that gun, you know what is going to happen if you fire it.

How could you forget that?

Yes. He definitely intended to use the gun if he thought he had to. He definitely fired at the imaginary intruder because he wanted them stopped.
This discussion has been closed.