guttridge wrote: »
    Sorry guys I meant barman ! Silly iPhone

You mean oiPhone?
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheetah666 wrote: »
    Sheesh, we manage here with sterling, (all three versions), and euros running alongside eachother, and our shopkeepers not only manage to sort out the genuine from the forgeries, but also work out the correct change.

...AND make sure you have the receipt so you can nip home over the border and claim the VAT back...
  • Options
    CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It might just be! Isn't there one that is almost totally blue of various striking hues?

Ah, i believe that's a Bank of Scotland

Clydesdale's are brown iirc
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it impossible, after all these years, for England to educate people to recognise all forms of sterling which are legal tender in their country? All three of them!

Sheesh, we manage here with sterling, (all three versions), and euros running alongside eachother, and our shopkeepers not only manage to sort out the genuine from the forgeries, but also work out the correct change. And yet the English have a stereotype of the Irish as thick, its about time you took the log out of your own eye.

That's fine, but you organise it then :D

In the South East of England we don't ever encounter Irish or Scottish notes. I run a business and handle money on a daily basis, I've never seen either of them in this context. Last time I saw a Scottish note was about 7 years ago.

They are SO incredibly rare down here how would we ever know?

Mind-reading?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Note reading! :)

Especially the bit that says "Sterling"...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »

In the South East of England we don't ever encounter Irish or Scottish notes. I run a business and handle money on a daily basis, I've never seen either of them in this context. Last time I saw a Scottish note was about 7 years ago.

Mind-reading?

Well, I hope you'd recognise an Irish note- they're bloomin Euros
  • Options
    Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Mind-reading?

Lol, I'm not expecting random English people to magically know what Scottish and N.Irish notes look like, but you do have an education system over there, last I heard. You have a central government, who should certainly be able to provide businesses with the necessary info to train their staff appropriately.

And the UK wasn't created yesterday, so I would wonder why the English population is still being left in such ignorance about two forms of legal tender in their own country.
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Mind-reading?

That'll be why the Heathrow cabbie recoiled in horror at the sight of my Scottish notes the other day then.He never said a word mind.But the look at the note said it all.:D
    I was ready to say.'I'm quite willing to exchange it at the nearest Bank Of England if you've got the time old chap!'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Years ago I had a stand-up row in a bank in Keswick because I had to do exactly that! No local shop would take an "Bank of Ireland" £5 Sterling note, so I went to change it in the bank...

And the bastards tried to charge me 50p for changing foreign currency!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I hope you'd recognise an Irish note- they're bloomin Euros

You knew exactly what I meant ;-)
    Lol, I'm not expecting random English people to magically know what Scottish and N.Irish notes look like, but you do have an education system over there, last I heard. You have a central government, who should certainly be able to provide businesses with the necessary info to train their staff appropriately.

And the UK wasn't created yesterday, so I would wonder why the English population is still being left in such ignorance about two forms of legal tender in their own country.

Education systems tend to teach what is relevant. It's clearly not that relevant as we never see the notes, let alone get to use them.

Given that I have made a sum total of £0.00 from people paying with this money there is no economic incentive to exert *any* time or resources finding out :D

It'd be like teaching you what the Australian dollar looks like, utterly irrelevant.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    I'd have went with the 3 wood myself.

Tell him - "fine, it's your pub (or place of work), however I'll be telling all my friends about this as I disagree with it" and walk out. Then bad-mouth the business at any opportunity you get.

So basically just be honest. Always the best policy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Education systems tend to teach what is relevant. It's clearly not that relevant as we never see the notes, let alone get to use them.

Given that I have made a sum total of £0.00 from people paying with this money there is no economic incentive to exert *any* time or resources finding out :D

It'd be like teaching you what the Australian dollar looks like, utterly irrelevant.

Do you want to know why you've had £0.00 from people paying with what you call "this money", (ie, Sterling)? Because everybody outside England knows how ignorant the English generally are on this subject. So we all have to go to the hassle of going to the bank to change Sterling into Sterling before we visit England.

Isn't it about time you stopped being so ignorant of the rest of the UK? Scotland has been in the UK since 1707, N.Ireland since 1801 - you've had more than enough time to stop inconveniencing your fellow countrymen and women and learn what Scottish and N.Ireland notes look like.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd have went with the 3 wood myself.

Is that you Phil Mickelson?.;-)
  • Options
    Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you want to know why you've had £0.00 from people paying with what you call "this money", (ie, Sterling)? Because everybody outside England knows how ignorant the English generally are on this subject. So we all have to go to the hassle of going to the bank to change Sterling into Sterling before we visit England.

Isn't it about time you stopped being so ignorant of the rest of the UK? Scotland has been in the UK since 1707, N.Ireland since 1801 - you've had more than enough time to stop inconveniencing your fellow countrymen and women and learn what Scottish and N.Ireland notes look like.

Devil's advocate argument, Scottish and N. Irish could arguably have had more than enough time to conform to having just one set of bank notes for the UK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You had your chance two weeks ago and you all voted 'no', so suck it up :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

;-)

Do you know which notes to really need to look out for? Them there Welsh notes
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

ha! exactly
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul1511 wrote: »
    Devil's advocate argument, Scottish and N. Irish could arguably have had more than enough time to conform to having just one set of bank notes for the UK.

Why should there be just one set of banknotes for the UK? English sterling circulates freely in Scotland and N.Ireland, and even in border areas of the Republic of Ireland, and nobody has a problem with it. The only country in these parts which can't respect its neighbours here, is England.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm not Scottish, so that's a swing and a miss.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It was 55/45 in favour.Quite close really.Laaaaandan and the SE ought to get out more.:p
    Take the money,even if it hasn't got your stinking Queen on it.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ;-)

Do you know which notes to really need to look out for? Them there Welsh notes

Oi! I posted that bluddy spider pic you asked to see!
    You haven't said nuffin.

Never mind Welsh notes it's our £3 coins that no one will take.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why should there be just one set of banknotes for the UK? English sterling circulates freely in Scotland and N.Ireland, and even in border areas of the Republic of Ireland, and nobody has a problem with it. The only country in these parts which can't respect its neighbours here, is England.

Simplicity?

Are we not all one country? Why the money variations? Seriously?
    I'm not Scottish, so that's a swing and a miss.

Well, you must be from Northern Ireland then, so you still have my commiserations ;)
    U96 wrote: »
    It was 55/45 in favour.Quite close really.Laaaaandan and the SE ought to get out more.:p
    Take the money,even if it hasn't got your stinking Queen on it.

Being a republican, that does seem advantageous to me :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Simplicity?

Well, you must be from Northern Ireland then, so you still have my commiserations ;)

Being a republican, that does seem advantageous to me :D

I voted no.But I hate the royals.:)
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    guttridge wrote: »
    Just in a pub a few years hours ago and this girl ordered a drink and when she went to pay she handed the batman a 10 note but from
    Northern Ireland went the barman refused to take. I think this is wrong . What wood you have done ?

Oak, yew and balsa recently.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Simplicity?

Yes, the UK is all one country, with no money variations. Its all sterling, and its all perfectly simple. Different notes have different designs on them, and all are legal tender in the UK. Every other part of the UK manages to deal with every version of Sterling, apart from England, for whom it is all apparently too complex.

Do you get confused between a fiver and a tenner because there's different pictures on them? No, because you know what each one looks like. If you were educated about what Scottish and N.Ireland notes looked like, that wouldn't be a problem either.