Options

did anyone else feel sorry for Dean?

Comments

• Options
    OminousGloryOminousGlory Posts: 5,019
    Forum Member
    He was raped in prison.

So that makes it alright? Because you were raped doesn't mean you can rape other people
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soap-lea wrote: »
    thank you. my point was up till he did it were people feeling sorry for him. I acnt understand why they wouldnt from the way the episode was portrayed.

not to you lollipop but to others can you answer my question rather than just saying he is a rapist and scum because you are all missing the point of what the thread is about.

the question was in the episode until he went in the kitchen did you feel sorry for him? so how did you feel about him before he raped linda not after!

To answer your question .NO I didnt feel sorry for him because I knew what was coming ,
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    How can there ever be an excuse ?
  • Options
    Lizzie BrookesLizzie Brookes Posts: 15,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    I think the writers did an amazing job of letting the viewers know how messed up Dean is and I think we were meant to feel the pain that Dean felt when he saw Linda with her kids because that's all that Dean's ever wanted.

However, there is no excuse for what he did, but the writers have written him extremely well.
    all through the episode I felt so sorry for him.

I actually understand how messed up he is meant to be and why he thought Linda liked him

I am not excusing what he did but up till the point he did it .. did anyone else feel it?

fantastic episode and acting, think they got the episode just right and carters only worked!

the question is before he raped linda and up to the point he went in the kitchen did you feel sorry for him?

(not interested in how you felt after there are other threads for that)
    paton1983 wrote: »
    I've actually read what you have typed, unlike some it seems. Up until the attack, I felt sorry for him. He felt lost and betrayed. Of course, this doesn't excuse what he went on to do.

At the very beginning yes, when he broke down and Linda gave him a hug but after he saw Linda with her family and came back my sympathy went away.
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the writers did an amazing job of letting the viewers know how messed up Dean is and I think we were meant to feel the pain that Dean felt when he saw Linda with her kids because that's all that Dean's ever wanted.

However, there is no excuse for what he did, but the writers have written him extremely well.

I am glad others saw it. thought I was going mad. yes it was brilliantly written glad there was just carters in the episode it kept the tone right. so are you off Dean now as well I know he is one of your favourites.
  • Options
    puppetangelpuppetangel Posts: 2,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DODS11 wrote: »
    Which is horrible. But does that now excuse Linda to go around raping anyone around the square because she's "messed up"?

It's a realistic portrayal of a character that has been serious damaged but that's no excuse. No way do I feel sorry for him in this instance.

Not an excuse but the same justice we feel for Linda, Dean needed too when raped in prison and it happened somewhere he couldnt escape from and under the care of the state. Like the kids who are abused who end up abusing their kids...its a cycle...you'd think having gone through it he'd never want someone else to feel that horror but he's put her through it too no and there is no excuse and it was horrific.

He is mentally ill..he doesnt think he's raped her if you read spoilers. He needs detaining under the mental health route and in a psych prison/wing not normal prison.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was raped in prison.

Has this actually been confirmed?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not an excuse but the same justice we feel for Linda, Dean needed too and it happened somewhere he couldnt escape from and under the care of the state. Like the kids who are abused who end up abusing their kids...its a cycle...you'd think having gone through it he'd never want someone else to feel that but he's put her through it too and there is no excuse. He is mentally ill..he doesnt think he's raped her if you read spoilers. He needs a detaining under the mental health route not normal prison.

I agree with this.
  • Options
    xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,341
    Forum Member
    Up until he raped Linda, yes, I did feel sorry for him, not anymore though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    How can there ever be an excuse ?

there can't and never is any excuse. but the threads not about the rape its about him prior to that. I am not and never would defend or justify rape whether its real or fiction
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not an excuse but the same justice we feel for Linda, Dean needed too and it happened somewhere he couldnt escape from and under the care of the state. Like the kids who are abused who end up abusing their kids...its a cycle...you'd think having gone through it he'd never want someone else to feel that but he's put her through it too no and there is no excuse.

He is mentally ill..he doesnt think he's raped her if you read spoilers. He needs detaining under the mental health route and in a psych prison/wing not normal prison.

good post never even thought of it as your last sentence. be interesting to see if the story takes that route
  • Options
    shrinkingvioletshrinkingviolet Posts: 3,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I felt sympathy for him for the first part of the episode - I think there was genuine pain there.

After Nancy came in though, the sympathy vanished - it was anger, jealousy and rage that caused him to lash out at Linda & as soon as she said she felt maternal feelings for him, he seemed determined to punish her for it. It was awful and any chance that he could ever be redeemed vanished. He knew what he was doing, he just didn't care.

All my sympathy goes to Linda.
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am glad others saw it. thought I was going mad. yes it was brilliantly written glad there was just carters in the episode it kept the tone right. so are you off Dean now as well I know he is one of your favourites.

It's not a case of being 'off' Dean, it's weird. I hate what he's done but I am intrigued with how he is now going to be written. I feel very sad that they have done this to his character though.

We were talking about this in his appreciation thread - the one positive there is is to appreciate how well Matt can act and that Matt getting this fantastic chance to show everyone how good an actor he is.
    Has this actually been confirmed?

No. It's been implied but never confirmed. I'm wondering whether it will come out when he realises what he's done.
  • Options
    Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    all through the episode I felt so sorry for him.

I actually understand how messed up he is meant to be and why he thought Linda liked him

I am not excusing what he did but up till the point he did it .. did anyone else feel it?

fantastic episode and acting, think they got the episode just right and carters only worked!

the question is before he raped linda and up to the point he went in the kitchen did you feel sorry for him?

(not interested in how you felt after there are other threads for that)

To refer to your question, yes I did feel sorry for him before the rape. He seemed lost and broken.
  • Options
    trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 38,001
    Forum Member
    duckylucky wrote: »
    That is not an excuse . Nothing excuses rape , nothing

I haven't seen any excuses on here. The OP said that they felt sorry for Dean up until he raped Linda and I agree with the OP. It was clearly written and acted to show us how how mentally messd up Dean is and how jealous I suppose he is regarding Linda and her family.
    Sylvia wrote: »
    And he was horrible to Shirley quite a few times when she tried to be nice to him.

:confused: Shirley was outrageously horrible towards him and the rest of her kids. She set the ball rolling regarding his mental instability and any nastiness he showed Shirley was totally justified IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not a case of being 'off' Dean, it's weird. I hate what he's done but I am intrigued with how he is now going to be written. I feel very sad that they have done this to his character though.

We were talking about this in his appreciation thread - the one positive there is is to appreciate how well Matt can act and that Matt getting this fantastic chance to show everyone how good an actor he is.

No. It's been implied but never confirmed. I'm wondering whether it will come out when he realises what he's done.

I was trying to think of an appropriate word but couldn't. yes it is sad because what he was crying out for was intergration to the family which will never happen now he has just smashed it to smithereens.

I thought it would come out when he opened up to linda.
  • Options
    NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the very beginning yes, when he broke down and Linda gave him a hug but after he saw Linda with her family and came back my sympathy went away.

Mine too, Lizzie. I know he is a headcase, but he seemed to be punishing her for being a woman, being a mum, being the kind of mum he wished he had, that she was the bosom of her family, that the rest of the Carter family were 'mocking' him downstairs in the pub. She represented everything he wanted in a mother, a woman, a family but hasn't got. It almost becomes less about how messed up he is and more how he becomes overcome with vicious vindictiveness, even though you know he is psychologically screwed in the head. Like, does he even KNOW he has raped her, that he did rape her?

Like I said, psychologically screwed in the head.
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't seen any excuses on here. The OP said that they felt sorry for Dean up until he raped Linda and I agree with the OP. It was clearly written and acted to show us how how mentally messd up Dean is and how jealous I suppose he is regarding Linda and her family.

:.

That reply of mine was not to the OP but to someone who posted that Dean was raped in prison
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was trying to think of an appropriate word but couldn't. yes it is sad because what he was crying out for was intergration to the family which will never happen now he has just smashed it to smithereens.

I thought it would come out when he opened up to linda.

I thought it would too. Maybe he talks about it when he realises what he's done to Linda?
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,403
    Forum Member
    I actually did yes and that does mean that I excuse rape.

Dean is very mixed up and in his mind it wasn't rape - she'd told him that he was wanted. Even though it would be clear to most people that she didn't mean 'want' in that way. Does that excuse him continuing when she clearly said no in the kitchen, no of course it doesn't but I did feel sorry for him until that point.
  • Options
    CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,203
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol cherry! very phil Mitchellesque there.

"we're ds famlee"

:D:D:D:D

To right!!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nihonga wrote: »
    Mine too, Lizzie. I know he is a headcase, but he seemed to be punishing her for being a woman, being a mum, being the kind of mum he wished he had, that she was the bosom of her family, that the rest of the Carter family were 'mocking' him downstairs in the pub. She represented everything he wanted in a mother, a woman, a family but hasn't got. It almost becomes less about how messed up he is and more how he becomes overcome with vicious vindictiveness, even though you know he is psychologically screwed in the head. Like, does he even KNOW he has raped her, that he did rape her?

Like I said, psychologically screwed in the head.

I agree that Dean is not right in the head and I don't think he knows he raped her though he clearly did.

Did you feel hatred or nothing towards Dean when he raped her? I felt nothing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thanks.

I agree with the bit in bold.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 139,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree that Dean is not right in the head and I don't think he knows he raped her though he clearly did.

Did you feel hatred or nothing towards Dean when he raped her? I felt nothing.

I actually did feel anger when he swaggered out the door
  • Options
    Sweet_PrincessSweet_Princess Posts: 11,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP seriously how can you make this thread? Dean is a rapist he attacked an innocent women who was only comforting him after his mum left. Linda didnt deserve that and she is now scared for life