Options

Is parity a good thing for gamers?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
Forum Member
✭✭✭
With the news breaking that the X1 version of AC Unity is 900p 30fps and the PS4 version is the same for the sake of parity (which if you read between the line is probably scaled back)

My questions (I'm asking while admittedly still angry at the news) is parity ever a good thing in gaming? who does it benefit to make one version worse than it could be for the other? Where does it stop, will we see entire game modes removed from cross platform games because they can't run on one of the consoles?

Do gamers benefit from this in anyway, or would it be better to use both consoles to their full potential?

Comments

• Options
    YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Probably not a good thing but all I have to ask is, WHY ?

Why would they want to scale it back? What's the developers motivation for this ?

Lol Assassins Creed Parity
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. It's a really daft idea. It may avoid the 'arguments' but it'll annoy half the user base. It'll be to sell more copies obviously. I would hope after the initial run they patch it to be fully functional on whichever console is superior.
    Absolutely ridiculous thing to do. It implies the devs do not want the best possible version out there. Will they pare down the pc version?
  • Options
    OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    Nope, it's just stupid. Don't see how it benefits anyone
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    Probably not a good thing but all I have to ask is, WHY ?

Why would they want to scale it back? What's the developers motivation for this ?

"We decided to lock them at the same specs to avoid all the debates and stuff," senior producer Vincent Pontbriand told VideoGamer.com

Pretty terrible reason if you ask me you just need to look on twitter to see this has caused a much bigger mess than both games being different, making the best game possible on every console should be what every dev aims for, hopefully a post launch patch is in order like the one for Black Flag
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. It's bang out of order. And downright disrespectful. Developers should be prepared and allowed to get the most that they can out of systems. Systems that WE paid for.
  • Options
    KillerCloudKillerCloud Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems to me that Microsoft may have paid Ubisoft to do that.
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems to me that Microsoft may have paid Ubisoft to do that.

Well, MS are co-marketing the game this time around. Draw your own conclusions from that.
  • Options
    reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    Good for the PC market anyway
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    reglip wrote: »
    Good for the PC market anyway

Unless it gets gimped too!
    Couldn't care less about pc gaming unless it's an MMO.
  • Options
    KillerCloudKillerCloud Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, MS are co-marketing the game this time around. Draw your own conclusions from that.

Ha, pretty much proves it lol
  • Options
    DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't AC typically have an extra hours worth of missions for PS, are they keeping that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If MS have paid to have it gimped then that is very poor on the part of Ubi. If i were one of the artists/programmers i would be massively annoyed that my hard work got downgraded. Actually I'd be annoyed even if there wasn't a payment. In fact I would leave. I did this myself when I was a graphic designer many years ago. Artistic integrity is important and if you are good enough you will be easily re-employed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not that I believe the conspiracy theory that MS had something to do with this it is worth pointing out

Marketed by Sony
    AC: Black Flag, On X1 = 900p 30fps, on PS4 = 1080p 30fps
    Watchdogs, On X1 = 792p 30fps, PS4 = 900p 30fps
    Far Cry 4, X1 = Couldn't find, PS4 = 1080p 30fps (targeted)

Marketed by Microsoft
    AC Unity, X1 = 900p 30fps, PS4 = 900fps
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    Not that I believe the conspiracy theory that MS had something to do with this it is worth pointing out

Marketed by Sony
    AC: Black Flag, On X1 = 900p 30fps, on PS4 = 1080p 30fps
    Watchdogs, On X1 = 792p 30fps, PS4 = 900p 30fps
    Far Cry 4, X1 = Couldn't find, PS4 = 1080p 30fps (targeted)

Marketed by Microsoft
    AC Unity, X1 = 900p 30fps, PS4 = 900fps

Also worth pointing out that when Black Flag and Watch Dogs were released, the XBO hadn't freed up the space that Kinect used.

*IF* Ubisoft are being completely honest when they describe the issue they've encountered with Unity - that it's a CPU problem and not a GPU one, then it's actually the Xbox One that has the superior CPU.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    Also worth pointing out that when Black Flag and Watch Dogs were released, the XBO hadn't freed up the space that Kinect used.

*IF* Ubisoft are being completely honest when they describe the issue they've encountered with Unity - that it's a CPU problem and not a GPU one, then it's actually the Xbox One that has the superior CPU.

Then why isn't the X1 version better, the statement they made can only be taken as they could of made one version better but didn't and you'd think with MS being behind the marketing they'd want to have 'play the definitive version only on Xbox one' on the adverts
    It just doesn't make sense after all the talk of this not being possible on Last Gen or WiiU for that matter that every console would get the best version possible on the hardware, as it stands they won't and the reason behind that need to be explained
  • Options
    SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brb wrote: »

I personally don't care! Both machines fire out beautiful graphics & I bet AC will be great on either machine! 👍 ... The technical differences are so small that average joe wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway imo! 😊

(Most of my friends are on X1 so that's the version I'm getting!) 👍
  • Options
    brbbrb Posts: 27,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    Then why isn't the X1 version better, the statement they made can only be taken as they could of made one version better but didn't and you'd think with MS being behind the marketing they'd want to have 'play the definitive version only on Xbox one' on the adverts
    It just doesn't make sense after all the talk of this not being possible on Last Gen or WiiU for that matter that every console would get the best version possible on the hardware, as it stands they won't and the reason behind that need to be explained

I personally interpreted the statement that it wasn't possible on either console, and judging from the statement released from Ubisoft (I posted in the other thread), it seems this is how the comment was meant anyway.
    Ubisoft wrote:
    "It's not the number of polygons that affect the framerate," Pontbriand explained. Rather, the tradeoff comes when deciding to keep either a high framerate or convincing AI. He said that they could be running at 100fps if they only had to take into account the graphics, but the AI demands on the processor have moved them to lock the framerate at 30fps on both console versions."

No where does it implicitly (or explicitly) say that they held one version back. In fact, it explicitly says that the AI demands on the processor meant the game is locked at 30fps on both consoles.

Either way though, like I said I'm not a tech person and I don't work for Ubisoft, but IF their statement regarding CPU is accurate, then it's not an XBO issue, merely because the XBO has the superior CPU capabilities.
  • Options
    HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Parity is only a good thing if online play is cross platform. If a game is closed to one system then the game should try to aim to be the best they can on each system.
    Davonator wrote: »
    Doesn't AC typically have an extra hours worth of missions for PS, are they keeping that?

UBisoft had a relationship with Sony for the AC franchise, now they have got close to MS for AC Unity.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    I personally don't care! Both machines fire out beautiful graphics & I bet AC will be great on either machine! 👍 ... The technical differences are so small that average joe wouldn't be able to tell the difference anyway imo! 😊

(Most of my friends are on X1 so that's the version I'm getting!) 👍

i agree, no body really is going to notice anything between the two platforms
  • Options
    Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yet people debate about the tiny differences for months on forums.....while the rest of us are actually enjoying playing the games :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red Arrow wrote: »
    Yet people debate about the tiny differences for months on forums.....while the rest of us are actually enjoying playing the games :p

first world problems....

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

👍✔️

My HP laptop blows both the X1 & PS4 away when it comes to technical wizardry... but I don't care! ... I'm too busy playing great games on my X1 (namely DR3 & FH2) atm! 👍
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    first world problems....

:)

Folk with too much time on their hands more like! 😉
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    Folk with too much time on their hands more like! 😉

talking of time, its time to go to work..

enjoy Alien people:)

(if its arrived;-))
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This really about how many Ps or which looks better, its about whether a company should make a game better if they can, its about whether programming for the worst and saying job done is good enough

Remember last gen when so many games got better ports on 360, that was fine but this gen X1 is behind so we start to see parity to avoid arguments and debate, that makes no sense where was the parity last gen