Options

More Who on Horror

Comments

• Options
    RozesRozes Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    Watched Talons tonight. I think Tom gives his greatest performance in this one. The way he deals with Magnus Greel in Litefoot's house in episode six is a joy!
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Seems strange to only show one story from the Key to Time season.
    kjhskj75 wrote: »
    The November ones aren't up on the website yet. We could get to see more of them.
    My DigiGuide only goes up to 4th November, but it seems The Pirate Planet does indeed follow The Ribos Operation.

As it would be very weird indeed to only show two Key to Time stories, it's probably safe to say the whole season will be shown.
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the horror of fang rock is on this week, one of my all time favs :cool:
    oh i see someone conveniently put it on my sky planner to record ..... sneaky rutans :p
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Rozes wrote: »
    Watched Talons tonight. I think Tom gives his greatest performance in this one. The way he deals with Magnus Greel in Litefoot's house in episode six is a joy!

Along with Pyramids of Mars, it's my favourite classic era story. It's just wonderfully realised and Tom Baker is fantastic.
  • Options
    Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    It's excellent they are showing classic who and it's showing how terrible Nu who is
    Silurians monday
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rozes wrote: »
    Love the bit when he sits next to Greel thinking its Leela.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's excellent they are showing classic who and it's showing how terrible Nu who is
    Silurians monday

Yes, that's exactly what it does, especially the stuff with 3 and 4.

Atmosphere and a decent plot development, two things distinctly lacking in many episodes since 2005.

I watched 'Time of the Doctor' last night and thought it was one of the worst pieces of television I'd ever seen in my entire life.
  • Options
    kjhskj75kjhskj75 Posts: 3,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kjhskj75 wrote: »
    22 Oct Carnival of Monsters
    24 Oct The Time Warrior
    28 Oct The Sontaran Experiment
    29 Oct The Sun Makers
    31 Oct The Ribos Operation

4 Nov The Pirate Planet
    6 Nov The Stones of Blood

Looks like we may be getting the whole of the Key to Time
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching now.

Can someone explain to me why Romana is dressed as a schoolgirl?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    jcafcw wrote: »
    Watching now.

City of Death? Nice one.

I think Lalla Ward was able to choose her own outfits and she had a different one in very story as far as I remember.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching now.

Lalla explains
  • Options
    MinkytheDogMinkytheDog Posts: 5,658
    Forum Member

What - don't tell me they've hacked my phone again :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    City of Death? Nice one.

I think Lalla Ward was able to choose her own outfits and she had a different one in very story as far as I remember.

I don't know why the City of Death gets so much praise. I think it's one of Tom Baker's very worst stories. All those endless shots of people running around Paris, just to show they're in Paris, are so tedious. And I hate the flippant, comic, self-aware tone.

The only part of it I like is Julian Glover's Scaroth.
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just been watching parts one and two of The Silurians, I noticed on the opening titles instead of saying "Doctor Who", followed by "The Silurians", which is what I was expecting, it just said "Doctor Who And The Silurians". I can't remember other classic stories being titled on screen in the latter manner, or is my memory failing me?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't know why the City of Death gets so much praise. I think it's one of Tom Baker's very worst stories. All those endless shots of people running around Paris, just to show they're in Paris, are so tedious. And I hate the flippant, comic, self-aware tone.

I must admit that I prefer the earlier Tom Baker (Hinchcliffe era) seasons and wasn't really a fan of Season 17, but City of Death stood out because of the clever writing with Douglas Adams' sense of humour shining through.

I think that by that time in his reign, Tom was playing most of the stories for laughs, so at least he had a comedy plot to work with in City of Death. It's probably one of the few Doctor Who stories that you can show to people who aren't fans and they'd enjoy it.
  • Options
    Forum Member

and John Cleese?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    Just been watching parts one and two of The Silurians, I noticed on the opening titles instead of saying "Doctor Who", followed by "The Silurians", which is what I was expecting, it just said "Doctor Who And The Silurians". I can't remember other classic stories being titled on screen in the latter manner, or is my memory failing me?

I think that was the only one, or there may have been another one in that era. That first Pertwee season did have some odd looking credits. The Ambassadors of Death credits were odd on DVD release as I recall.
  • Options
    ccb2011ccb2011 Posts: 335
    Forum Member
    So I make that 46 stories Horror have - is there a full list of which stores they now have the rights to? Can't see one on their website
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's the pic quality like for the Silurians?

Better than the old Vhs?
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish I had satellite so I could watch these episodes. I don't think I've seen any of them before.
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Westy2 wrote: »
    What's the pic quality like for the Silurians?

Better than the old Vhs?

I've never seen The Silurians on VHS or DVD so can't make a comparison but it looked like a nice crisp picture to me. Now I think of it I'm not 100% sure whether I've ever seen The Silurians before. The first stories I can remember seeing on their original runs were Tom Baker's first season, although I have a vague memory of the original screening of Planet Of The Spiders. I've seen various Hartnell, Troughton and Pertwee re-runs over the years but have no idea now if The Silurians was among those I've seen.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, that's exactly what it does, especially the stuff with 3 and 4.

Atmosphere and a decent plot development, two things distinctly lacking in many episodes since 2005.

I watched 'Time of the Doctor' last night and thought it was one of the worst pieces of television I'd ever seen in my entire life.
    I gave up on Nu-who thanks to 2005 onwards and I loved it until then and had the NA etc
    Classic stories had pacing as it was over 4 or more episodes and had mini-arcs and a companion or more who travelled within the TARDIS unlike Clara
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pic quality of Silurians is fine
    It's an excellent story that intros characters and the threat which is slowly developed through the story and it's suspenseful
  • Options
    StephenHKentStephenHKent Posts: 1,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm completely gripped by The Silurians. High quality naturalistic acting from Pertwee, showing uncertainty and vulnerability and wit. Much more subtle than the frankly often ridiculous overacting by recent doctors. (I know times and tv techniques have changed). Great supporting cast. Geoffrey Palmer. Fulton Mackay. First rate.
  • Options
    chattswhochattswho Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    I gave up on Nu-who thanks to 2005 onwards and I loved it until then and had the NA etc
    Classic stories had pacing as it was over 4 or more episodes and had mini-arcs and a companion or more who travelled within the TARDIS unlike Clara

Couldn't agree more. I sometimes wish new who would do away with pointless stories within the series, but instead, turn the better stories into 2 or even 3 parters. Silurians for instance with its 7 parts to the story allowed for a really good & in-depth story to develop. Modern stories in dr who today are rushed too quickly.
    Watching Inferno now BTW.