Options

Distribution Amplifer

PaperhousePaperhouse Posts: 1,724
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My daughter lives in a flat which has the benefit of a communal aerial system; presumably using a distriburion amplifer. The flat has only one diplexed (TV / FM) outlet, but she wants to run a second TV. If a simple splitter doesn't do the trick; I assume that there's nothing wrong plugging a two way amplifer into the existing TV socket.

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winston_1 wrote: »
    Try a decent splitter first. A decent communal system should have enough signal. If you need a distribution amplifier don't get a high gain one, no more than 6dB. Ideally distribution amplifiers should have zero gain in to out.

Thanks Winston_1. If I fit a splitter before installing the second TV, will the reception on the first TV be what to expect when both TVs are installed?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've found a Tratec C1004/02R splitter in the garage on which the outlets are labelled 3.6dB and 4.0dB. I am assuming that these are the losses on each outlet?
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,598
    Forum Member
    Paperhouse wrote: »
    Thanks Winston_1. If I fit a splitter before installing the second TV, will the reception on the first TV be what to expect when both TVs are installed?

Winston seems to have little knowledge or understanding of distribution amplifiers? - a simple two way passive splitter 'should' be fine - but an amplified one would be perfect as well, they don't make them in different gain versions - essentially they give a little more gain than the split loses, so you end up with a little more signal than you started with (which is a good thing :D)

So with passive your signal to each set will be a little poorer than previously, with an amplified one it will be a little stronger. For a two way split, if the passive one makes any difference (with digital) then you have a problem with the original installation.
  • Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paperhouse wrote: »
    I've found a Tratec C1004/02R splitter in the garage on which the outlets are labelled 3.6dB and 4.0dB. I am assuming that these are the losses on each outlet?

I can't find any information on this unit. What's its frequency range? I guess it won't harm to try it.
  • Options
    MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Winston seems to have little knowledge or understanding of distribution amplifiers?

I have to disagree. His statement is fundamentally correct.
    Distribution amplifiers generally have a stated gain of at least 6dB at each output. In general, this is needed if it's feeding several metres of cable but it won't cause a problem with an adjacent TV unless the incoming signal is already very high level.

Anyway, I think we are all agreed that a passive splitter should be tried first.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't find any information on this unit. What's its frequency range? I guess it won't harm to try it.

Labelled as 5 - 1000 MHz.