Options

Doctor Who: Mummy on the Orient Express - 11/10/2014 (BBC One/HD-8:35pm) Thread

Comments

• Options
    MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    So does this episode go all the way back to the phone call with Matt's Doctor, talking about an Egyptian Goddess on the Orient Express ? I always thought that story would be great to see :)

And did we see GUS as in the sarcophagus - the return of the bubble wrap monsters ?
  • Options
    BatchBatch Posts: 3,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great standalone episode. So much better than last week's average tosh.
  • Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed that :) great episode!
  • Options
    nate1970nate1970 Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Doctor of intestinal parasites", very funny. :D

What a great episode, at least an 8/10.
  • Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't read all the comments yet, but initial reaction....excellent. (And I don't always vote that!) Capaldi's best performance to date. Very enjoyable and I think my favourite of the series so far. And if you're trawling through the internet for reactions Mr Skinner, you big geek, you were very good.

Ditto, I can't believe there are 4 pages on the thread already! Will have to read them all later but overall thought it was a great episode and Capaldi IS THE DOCTOR, Skinner was very classy, Foxes slow rendition of Don't Stop me Know was great :)

Oh my, Clara was lovely .....
  • Options
    Dan-BevisDan-Bevis Posts: 12,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sithlord3k wrote: »
    That's what I think too. Feels like there is more to the character.

Definitely [he was the train engineer!]. The Doctor even offered him a ride on the TARDIS - we'll see Perkins again.
  • Options
    eggshelleggshell Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grisonaut wrote: »
    I'm struggling a bit lately.

Good: Capaldi/Jenna, music, CGI, cinematography, call-backs and easter eggs

Bad: Mystery Hour storylines, lack of scale/importance, Coal Hill (Danny, Courtney et al).

I'm not feeling it; people complained about story arcs but I miss them.

This is all a bit Dr Who meets the Clangers.

I would have loved a Sutekh/Osiran link with this story. But nothing, just an old murder on the orient express variant.

Because you mentioned the C word :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOK1YdWalOw&feature=youtube_gdata - Video Tube for YouTube - Android
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Foxes wasn't in it for very long.
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    k9fan wrote: »
    Now that was good, in fact very good! (IMO) and I would have voted excellent except Clara was irritating and superfluous (IMO).

Really enjoyed it.

Verence wrote: »
    The voice of the train's computer sounds familiar...

Mr Smith? (the computer in Sarah Jane Adventures).

I am looking forward to watching this really sharp episode again tomorrow evening on BBC3.:)

Oh, and I have just remembered the name of the actress who portrayed the first person that died - Janet Henfrey; she was Mrs Bale in As Time Goes By, and she was in Dr Who some years ago.
  • Options
    The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Batch wrote: »
    Great standalone episode. So much better than last week's average tosh.

I very much doubt that that was truly a standalone ep
  • Options
    Lady of TrakenLady of Traken Posts: 1,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    16caerhos wrote: »
    Imagine if the Mummy was Danny :D.

Mean but so funny :-D:-D
  • Options
    David_H_93David_H_93 Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    was the tom baker voice the real tom baker or peter doing a good impression

I watched the episode and I didn't noticed that I have to watch it again
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ryanr554 wrote: »
    Good episode, nothing special though.

Nice monster that was almost too contrived to be a thing but its Doctor Who, it is allowed to be ridiculous sometimes I suppose.

I am still not 100% on the actual story though. What the hell was Gus, did it want to kill them? Why did it care about the foretold being on the train if it was just going to explode anyway and kill everybody anyway?

Gus or whoever was behind him (Missy maybe) wanted all the details the Scientists could provide it about the Foretold.

It had already done this with other space going crafts (the records Clara found).

Why exactly we don't know.

The Train only blew up when the Doctor tried hacking Gus to find out who had set the experiment up.

Capaldi sounded like Baker for a bit, he did it in Deep Breath as well.
  • Options
    VideoTapirVideoTapir Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well that was truly excellent. Probably my favourite of this run so far. To be honest, I'd have probably voted excellent just for Clara in that dress (I'm shallow that way) but everything - plot, performances, guest stars, set, direction - just hung together perfectly. This series has really swung between extremes for me, but tonight was top notch, and Capaldi was the best he's been.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought that was a very good standalone episode.
    Much better.
    This has been my favourite episode of the series.
    The Robin Hood one my second favourite.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Markynotts wrote: »
    So does this episode go all the way back to the phone call with Matt's Doctor, talking about an Egyptian Goddess on the Orient Express ? I always thought that story would be great to see :)

The Doctor said so.

Whoever was behind things had tried a number of times (free tickets, that telephone call etc) to get the Doctor on board.
  • Options
    emma_marieemma_marie Posts: 197
    Forum Member

So glad someone mentioned this, thought I was hearing things
  • Options
    garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    danny pink was in this episode too, NNNNNOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I am looking forward to watching this really sharp episode again tomorrow evening on BBC3.:)

Oh, and I have just remembered the name of the actress who portrayed the first person that died - Janet Henfrey; she was Mrs Bale in As Time Goes By, and she was in Dr Who some years ago.

Curse of Fenric! And of course Christopher Villiers, who was very good in a good cast, was in The King's Demons so that's two more C20 Who actors to add to the list..

Pleased this episode has gone down so well generally.

Rewatch beckons, I think. :)
  • Options
    starsailorstarsailor Posts: 11,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan-Bevis wrote: »
    Definitely [he was the train engineer!]. The Doctor even offered him a ride on the TARDIS - we'll see Perkins again.

The Doctor certainly seemed to suspect something was up with him I think.
  • Options
    Vexed womanVexed woman Posts: 801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Foxes wasn't in it for very long.

Good.
  • Options
    amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member

John Sessions was the voice of GUS. Suitably plummy and smug. He does it so well!
  • Options
    emma_marieemma_marie Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    Was it me, or did the doctor seem to 'remember' the phone call between Danny and Clara at the end of episode?
  • Options
    seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    Excellent episode. I loved the nod to Tom Baker Doctor with the jelly babies in the cigarette case. "Are you my mummy" made me chuckle too.

Peter Capaldi is a brilliant Doctor.
  • Options
    bokononbokonon Posts: 2,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't enjoyed the series so far but that was by far the best episode.

Really nicely paced, atmospheric and more or less coherent.

We were also allowed, thank heavens to warm to PC's Doctor a bit.

My only criticism is the argument last week and the reconciliation this week feel utterly pointless. Unless they have some role in the larger architecture of the series I don't see the point of either. It almost felt like the two episodes ran a bit short so they stuck the Clara/Doctor thing at the end to fill up time (x2).

But any way that is far too grudging of me. I think the Mummy may actually be in my top ten favourite New Who eps.